IGNORED

The Epyx Shrine now features Rogue!

Cybergoth

Hi there!

I just finished uploading the Epyx Shrine page about Rogue, featuring a long (~5 pages!) interview with Glenn Wichman!

Here's a little teaser:

"One of the great and amazing things about Rogue is how someone can go into a total panic (increased heart rate, sweating, twitching, etc) just by seeing a capital "T" on the monitor." -> Glenn Wichman

Enjoy,

Manuel

Hey Cybergoth, great Rogue link! I used to play it on my ST all the time! Everbody kept telling me it was a 'B' type D&D rip, I never thought so, I always thought it was a great game.

That interview was interesting in that I did not know it started out as a text based game. In the interview it says you can switch the ST to text mode. I just fired Rogue up on my ST but I don't see any option to do this, any advice?

quote:

Originally posted by Markimus of K.:

That interview was interesting in that I did not know it started out as a text based game. In the interview it says you can switch the ST to text mode. I just fired Rogue up on my ST but I don't see any option to do this, any advice?

Hm... I'll check that. It was no real 100% textmode, but you could play with having the complete dungeon displayed at once on the screen. I think it was something simple like hitting the space bar or one of the function keys...

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by irata_99:

There was a Macintosh port as far as I know. You don´t have any clues about it and other Epyx games for the mac? I can at least confirm Winter Games which I was playing lately.

Unfortunately, I never ran accross any Mac versions of the Epyx games I feature so far. I spent an hour or two finding the Mac port of Rogue to take at least some screenshots, but I didn't succeed. There's no Apple 2 port of it either. Such a version is listed in one of Epyx's catalogs, but no one in comp.sys.apple2 could confirm it's existance, so I assume that was vaporware. Next version of Rogue I tried to track down was the Amiga one. There's a disk image floating around, but by no means I managed to run it on any emulator... Then, in theory, the version for the CoCo I do already feature, should be the 512K version, and it should be switchable to a better graphics mode, too...

If I've ever manage to get anything of that stuff running, I'll be happy to update the page immediately.

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

I know the Mac version exists because I saw it in stores all the time and wished it would play on my Apple IIe. It came in the normal looking EPYX box.

Uhm... now you confused me totally. I thought an Apple 2 and and a Mac were two different things.

What I was trying to say, was that a Mac version is confirmed to exist (by it's programmer ), and that's why I was trying to find it on the web.

And an Apple 2 version is not confirmed to exist. At least no one on comp.sys.apple2 knew anything about such a version, when I asked

Now you are saying that Mac and Apple 2 is one and the same thing?

Greetings,

Manuel

No no... I was saying that I saw a Mac version in stores so I know it exists and that I wished it would play on my Apple IIe. The Mac and Apple IIe are two very different computers. An Apple IIe version does not exist as far as I know.

I was just letting you know that the Mac version was indeed released as I've seen it. Sometimes programmers remember doing a version of a game that never got released. I just wanted to confirm his story.

Tempest

Thanks for the article about Rogue. I remember playing it a lot on my Atari ST as I was determined to beat it. I did manage to do it once.

What I remember about that game was the fact that if your character died, you lost your save game file and had to start again. So I was made a copy and played with the copy. When I would get further down a level, I would save again and make another copy.

It is too bad that it did not make enough money for a sequel. It would have been nice to see what new things could have been brought to the game.

The author didn't mention it but wasn't Rogue inspired by another text game called Moria? I have a vague memory of that game.

quote:

Originally posted by AtariDude:

The author didn't mention it but wasn't Rogue inspired by another text game called Moria? I have a vague memory of that game.

Here is a nice family-tree sort of thing: RogueTree2.gif

So you can see that it's just vice-versa and Moira being inspired by Rogue.

Remember that even though the commercial release of Epyx Rogue was in the mid 80's, the games origins as such are way older.

Greetings,

Manuel

P.S.: Thanks for restoring my world order again, Tempest

Rogue is just about the world's oldest CRPG. I remember playing it, and numerous derivatives (Moria, Omega, Hack) on the ST. I actually recently got a very clever PC amalgam called Falcon's Eye NetHack. It basically uses the latest NetHack engine but drapes a rather nice isometric graphical interface over it so it's all graphic-oriented, but with still the same simple and effective gameplay. It's a bit to get used to playing in an isometric view, but the results are pretty cool.

Now, I'd really like to find Omega on the PC. I played that game on the ST a great deal, and came exceedingly close to finishing it, too. Nethack is great, but I loved the solidity of a plot and series of sub-plots in Omega.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by myself:

Next version of Rogue I tried to track down was the Amiga one. There's a disk image floating around, but by no means I managed to run it on any emulator... Then, in theory, the version for the CoCo I do already feature, should be the 512K version, and it should be switchable to a better graphics mode, too...

Thanks to a bunch of very nice visitors of the Epyx Shrine, I now managed to update the Rogue feature with both the graphical CoCo 3 and the Amiga versions of Epyx Rogue.

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

Hm... I'll check that. It was no real 100% textmode, but you could play with having the complete dungeon displayed at once on the screen. I think it was something simple like hitting the space bar or one of the function keys...

Greetings,

Manuel

Hey Cybergoth, any word on switching modes on the ST?

Markimus of K.

ROuge was pretty good, and I also enjoy ZAngband, but I think Angband is about the best one.

My problem is that I like to finish things quickly, and this is not the type of game for one to have that attitude.

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergoth:

Here is a nice family-tree sort of thing:
RogueTree2.gif

So you can see that it's just vice-versa and Moira being inspired by Rogue.

Remember that even though the commercial release of Epyx Rogue was in the mid 80's, the games origins as such are way older.

Greetings,

Manuel

P.S.: Thanks for restoring my world order again, Tempest

I´ve played Rogue on the ST for weeks and a few weeks ago I got the original disk in GB for a few pounds.

Larn and Moria were great games too, I know there is a Larn for the ST and I have played Moria and Nethack on the PC.

Great RPGs.

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Markimus of K.:

Hey Cybergoth, any word on switching modes on the ST?

Well, I assume you didn't even try my last suggestion, since then you'd have figured out by yourself, that the space key indeed does switch the mode

Just tried that on Winston, which is the only emulator running ST Rogue at all. Strange eh? I thought if its running fine on Winston, it should do on Steem as well, but...

Greetings,

Manuel