IGNORED

Virtual Boy Multicart?

Tempest

Is there such a thing as a Virtual Boy multicart? Is it possible to make one? There are a few interesting games that were only released in Japan that I'd like to get my hands on, but I'm not going to pay $300+ for them.

Tempest

• Like 1

* Cough cough* space invaders :) yeah i dont believe a multicart exists, i dont even know if it is possible, probibally be a good ? for someone who knows the specs and developing software or what not. Idealy, id like to look at this post and have someone say they have a bunch of them and sell em to us, although thats a long shot :)

There have been some attempts in the past but its rather messy affair, theres no groundswell of love and its not a well understood system. That being said the best bet lies in making a flash cart ala the vecflash for vectrex. You can see how far this hacker got with his, perhaps some lurking wizard here could bring it to a useful state?

http://projectvb.vze.com/

I could swear that I read somewhere that a VB multicart or two were rumored to have been found in Hong Kong, with all the published games along with some unreleased stuff and tech demos.

This cart?

http://www.virtual-boy.org/hongkongmodule.htm

Well, that solves that. none of us will ever own one :|

i suggest some 1 make 1, it would be a good money maker :)

I also think the VB could be an excellent platform for homebrews if a flashcart were made.

I think a single slot FLASH cart would be more useful than a ROM based multicart.

There's one problem however, the cart's connector is reverse, i.e it has a socket instead of a PCB connector edge. And AFAIK there's no source of these sockets :(

I also think the VB could be an excellent platform for homebrews if a flashcart were made.

I think a single slot FLASH cart would be more useful than a ROM based multicart.

There's one problem however, the cart's connector is reverse, i.e it has a socket instead of a PCB connector edge. And AFAIK there's no source of these sockets :(

there is a huge surplus of virtual boy games. Baseball especially, you can buy cases of that game afaik

Well, you could use a common game, like Virtual Tennis, that's like Mario for NES, one of the few games that was a packin on ALL systems (as far as I could tell) and even sold seperately.

That being said the best bet lies in making a flash cart ala the vecflash for vectrex

I reckon I could adapt the VecFlash circuit to make an 8MBit VB FLashCart. I don't know how many games this would accommodate though.

Richard,

As an extremely happy owner of a VecFlash (and beta tester of the Colecovision adapter, which I use a great deal), I believe I would have to erect a shrine to you if you could adapt this to work on the VB.... :love:

The demos can be as small as 64K, but all the released games were 512K, 1M, or 2M.

It looks like demos and all could all squeeze into less than 32M, and my whole directory with bad dumps and everything is 55M. What would be really cool is a cart with 2M of RAM and a CC2-style flash card loader.

-rwx------  1048576  2 Oct  1998 3D Tetris (U) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  2 Oct  1998 Galactic Pinball (JU) [!].vb
-rwx------  2097152  2 Oct  1998 Golf (U) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  9 Mar  2000 Insane Mouse Mansion (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  9 Mar  2000 Jack Bros (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576 13 Dec  2003 Jack Bros (U) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  5 Oct  1998 Mario Clash (JU) [!].vb
-rwx------   524288  2 Oct  1998 Mario's Tennis (JU) [!].vb
-rwx------  2097152  9 Mar  2000 Nester's Funky Bowling (U).vb
-rwx------   524288  9 Mar  2000 Panic Bomber (J) [!].vb
-rwx------   524288  2 Oct  1998 Panic Bomber (U) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  9 Mar  2000 Red Alarm (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  9 Mar  2000 Red Alarm (U) [!].vb
-rwx------   524288 13 Dec  2003 Space Squash (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  2097152  9 Mar  2000 T&E Virtual Golf (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  5 Oct  1998 Teleroboxer (JU) [!].vb
-rwx------   524288  9 Mar  2000 V Tetris (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576 13 Dec  2003 Vertical Force (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  9 Mar  2000 Vertical Force (U) [!].vb
-rwx------  2097152  9 Mar  2000 Virtual Boy Wario Land (JU) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576 13 Dec  2003 Virtual Fishing (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  1048576  2 Oct  1998 Virtual League Baseball (U).vb
-rwx------  1048576  9 Mar  2000 Virtual Pro Yakyuu '95 (J) [!].vb
-rwx------  2097152  9 Mar  2000 Waterworld (U) [!].vb

Would the 2Mb games be missed if I did build a 1Mb cart ? (i.e. are they good games)

Scrap that, I've found a fairly easy way to build a 4Mbyte (32Mbit) cart.

I'm going to start on it as soon as I get hold of another VB (sold mine)

I'll start working on that shrine. :D

I guess I shouldn't have bought those three games yesterday... :(

Would the 2Mb games be missed if I did build a 1Mb cart ? (i.e. are they good games)

Scrap that, I've found a fairly easy way to build a 4Mbyte (32Mbit) cart.

I'm going to start on it as soon as I get hold of another VB (sold mine)

PM sent about supplying you with a VB so you can get started!

-Tim