IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 16: Millipede

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Millipede and compare future scores, feel free to do so in this thread, but be aware that they will not be added to the listing.

RID YOUR GARDEN OF THOSE BOTHERSOME BUGS!

An army of menacing millipedes - cousins to the famed Centipede - have invaded your garden patch, and you must shoot arrows at them to rid your plot of these pesky pests. But wait! The millipedes aren't the only insidious insects you have to destroy. Jumping spiders, buzzing bees, bouncing beetles, mosquitoes, dragonflies, inchworms, and earwigs all have unique and deadly powers of their own!

Game Information

• Game Name: Millipede
  • Released By: Atari, 1984
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: BrianC

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, August 17th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 305,483 (SeaGtGruff) [+11]
  2. 290,721 (keilbaca) [+10]
  3. 236,661 (Rom Hunter) [+9]
  4. 218,194 (Malc74) [+8]
  5. 171,346 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 146,004 (BrianC) [+6]
  7. 116,485 (vdub_bobby) [+5]
  8. 104,115 (Cybergoth) [+4]
  9. 83,533 (shadow460) [+3]
  10. 50,572 (scogey) [+2]
  11. 50,130 (Deteacher) [+1]
  12. 24,658 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 1,114,117 (Frankie Cardulla)
  2. 937,180 (Todd Rogers)
  3. 492,236 (Ron Corcoran)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [162]
  2. keilbaca [129]
  3. SpiceWare [114]
  4. shawnb [71]
  5. vdub_bobby [68]
  6. LarcenTyler [64]
  7. BrianC [56]
  8. scogey [46]
  9. the 5th ghost [46]
  10. Deteacher [34]
  11. 128bytes [34]
  12. Jred [26]
  13. Malc74 [25]
  14. Goochman [23]
  15. Lord Helmet [19]
  • theKLT [19]
  • Cybergoth [18]
  • Christophero Sly [17]
  • phaxda [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • doctorclu [14]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • shadow460 [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
Scoring Points in Millipede
  • Mushroom - 1
  • Millipede head - 100
  • Millipede segment - 10
  • Spider - 300, 600, 900, or 1200 points, depending on how close it is
  • Beetles - 300
  • Mosquito - 400
  • Bees - 200
  • Inchworm - 100
  • DDT Bomb - 800
  • Dragonfly - 500
  • Earwig - 1000 points
  • Each time you lose a bug blaster, you receive 5 points for every flower and every three mushrooms left on the screen.
  • When you shoot an inchworm, the movement of all the insects on the screen is slowed down for about four seconds.
  • Earwigs poison mushrooms on contact, and if a millipede touches a poisoned mushroom, it'll charge straight down.
  • Expode the DDT at the right time, and the vapor will wipe out any bug it touches! For each bug that's destroyed by DDT, you'll earn triple the points you'd normally get for it.
  • You begin the game with three lives. For every 15,000 points you earn, you're awarded another life.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy of it available online. Here are the hints the manual provides:

* Make sure you keep your eye on the millipede while you're getting rid of the other pests. The millipede can sneak up on you if you're not careful, so keep it under control.

* If a millipede touches a poisonous mushroom - poinsonous mushrooms are colored differently from most - watch out! The millipede will charge directly at you!

* When the insects swarm, you're in for big trouble if you're not alert. Only a spider can enter the garden while the mosquitoes, bees, or dragonflies are swarming. You get 100 extra points (above the normal point value) for the second swarming bug you destroy, 200 for the third, and so forth - up to 1000 extra points per bug. But beware! Swarming bugs fly fast and furious!

* Each insect has its own unique sound, so keep your ears open and you can anticipate what will be coming next.

As for helpful hints, I try to save a few DDTs for the flying bug waves (especially the dragonfly waves.) Shoot a couple of those at the beginning of the wave. You can usually nab several of the flying buggers for lots of points! On the Dragonfly stage, if you have a couple DDTs going, you can push a lot of the mushrooms off the top of the screen.
I find that once you get into the higher levels, the bottom right corner is usually about the safest place to hang out.

Regarding Deteacher's tip, your score when the dragonfly wave first appears is going to depend on your style of game play. What I mean is, if you tend to leave the millipede alone and focus more on getting the spiders, beetles, etc., then you're probably going to rack up more points in each round, in which case the dragonfly wave probably won't appear until after you've exceeded 50,000. But if you tend to wipe out the millipede as quickly as possible-- whether or not you go after the other bugs, or try to avoid them-- then you could definitely hit the dragonfly wave before reaching 50,000. I usually hit the dragonfly wave somewhere between 40,000 and 45,000.

--Ze_ro

I have a hard enough time getting 30,000!

Sorry, I had the wrong number of zeros. Here's my high score for the first few times this evening.

I REALLY need to get one of those adapters to plug a joystick into a PC. I'm playing Stella because it's easier to do a screenshot, but it's harder with the keybord!

By the way, do the two difficulty switches have any effect at all?

Michael Rideout

post-7456-1155341318_thumb.jpg

Millipede to Centipede is like Stargate to Defender :D

I don't quite agree with that. While I like Millipede over Centipede, I feel that Centipede is much closer to the original than Defender is. I also feel that Centipede 2600 is one of the better translations of the game. It's not as good as the 5200 version, but it kicks the butt of the Atari 8-bit version. Stargate/Defender II 2600 is a huge leap over the 2600 Defender, but I feel that the leap between Centipede and Millipede is much smaller.

Edited by BrianC