IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 17: Reindeer Rescue

Ze_ro

It's Christmas Eve and Santa can't find the reindeer! Oh no! How will he deliver the toys to all the boys and girls? Where, oh where, could they be? He'll have to go and find them!

Game Information

• Game Name: Reindeer Rescie
  • Released By: AtariAge, 2005 (Programmed by Bob Montgomery)
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A (Turns music on and off)
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: SpiceWare

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, August 24th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 90,250 (Nathan Strum) [+11]
  2. 76,000 (Thomas Jentzsch) [+10]
  3. 61,100 (vdub_bobby) [+9]
  4. 40,725 (Rom Hunter) [+8]
  5. 35,150 (Malc74) [+7]
  6. 34,350 (theKLT) [+6]
  7. 32,325 (BrianC) [+5]
  8. 31,225 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 30,750 (keilbaca) [+3]
  10. 29,150 (SeaGtGruff) [+2]
  11. 25,525 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  12. 23,375 (Deteacher) [+1]

Best Tips

• SeaGtGruff [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Super Santa - Score 50,000 points or higher and get 1 bonus point!
    • Nathan Sturm, Thomas Jentzsch, vdub_bobby [+1]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. This game has no scores on TwinGalaxies.

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [171]
  2. keilbaca [139]
  3. SpiceWare [121]
  4. vdub_bobby [73]
  5. shawnb [71]
  6. LarcenTyler [65]
  7. BrianC [62]
  8. scogey [48]
  9. the 5th ghost [46]
  10. Deteacher [37]
  11. 128bytes [34]
  12. Malc74 [33]
  13. Jred [26]
  14. Goochman [23]
  15. Cybergoth [22]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • theKLT [19]
  • Christophero Sly [17]
  • phaxda [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • doctorclu [14]
  • SeaGtGruff [11]
  • shadow460 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
Scoring Points in Reindeer Rescue
  • Collect Milk, and Cookies for bonus points and health
  • Collect Reindeer, the broken Sleigh pieces, and lost Gifts for bonus points
  • Collecting a Lump of Coal will give you bonus points, but will cost you some health
  • Get both Sleigh pieces for a bonus

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. Unfortunately, AtariAge doesn't seem to have a manual online for this game, but fortunately, SpiceWare has provided some scans of the manual (although it doesn't have any real hints in it anyways).
in the first two levels, I deliberately avoided rescuing the second reindeer, so I could repeat those levels and get a few more points. I think you can go through the first level a maximum of three times without running out of energy, assuming you pick up all of the items that help to replenish your energy. I can get through the first two levels without losing any lives, but then I crash and burn at the beginning of the third level-- I invariably get trapped by a house or street post.
You can loop the 1st level twice, then you will run out of energy. >5000 points are possible here.

You maybe could loop the 2nd level forever, if you would be able to avoid the 2nd rendeer before the hat. But then you have to avoid the accelerator during the 2nd loop and you will run out of energy then.

It seems that you might be able to loop the 3rd level more than two times and even pick up the hat more than once. I once managed to pick up a 2nd hat in one life, but the game didn't (intentionall?) count it.

The game is purposely designed in a few places so that there are rewards for missing reindeer - for example (not to give anything away...), there is an extra life (santa hat) after the 2nd reindeer on the 2nd level.

(Regarding looping the second level) It is possible to avoid that 2nd reindeer, if you jump at just the right time you can jump underneath him. And I would think that to loop the level forever you would *need* to pick up the accelerator (at least) two times, to max out the speed, so you don't run out of energy.

--Ze_ro