Photo

Can you get a power supply for a 2600 at Radio Shack?

12 replies to this topic

#1 godzillajoe OFFLINE  

godzillajoe

River Patroller

• 2,399 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:52 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before but again I couldn't really find anything with a search so here it goes again...

I've been using a 7800 for the past few years but today I decided to dust off the 4 switch 2600 and hook her back up for those few games that depend on the Color / BW switch (Gunfight homebrew, Star Master etc.) and to my dismay I can't find a power supply!

I was gonna order one from Best but that will be on Monday.

I have a few universal power supplies that fit the 2600 but they don't seem to do anything.

I'm outputting 9 volts and I even tried flipping the polarity but neither one results in anything

So is there a special type of adaptor I can ask for at the Radio Shack about a mile away that will do the trick or do I just call Best on Monday and get an official one sometime next week.

Edited by godzillajoe, Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:53 PM.

#2 Rik OFFLINE  

Rik

River Patroller

• 4,255 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:29 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before but again I couldn't really find anything with a search so here it goes again...

I've been using a 7800 for the past few years but today I decided to dust off the 4 switch 2600 and hook her back up for those few games that depend on the Color / BW switch (Gunfight homebrew, Star Master etc.) and to my dismay I can't find a power supply!

I have a few universal power supplies that fit the 2600 but they don't seem to do anything.

I'm outputting 9 volts and I even tried flipping the polarity but neither one results in anything

So is there a special type of adaptor I can ask for at the Radio Shack about a mile away that will do the trick or do I just call Best on Monday and get an official one sometime next week.

You just cant use any adapter,most adapters at radio shack are 9volt,that doesnt mean its the right one,what s important is the mA rating,here are the specs for the atari 2600 adapter--INPUT=120VAC,60Hz,200mA.OUTPUT=9VDC,500mA.I myself looked at radio shack(now called THE SOURCE)here in Canada and could NOT find the proper one with the proper mA rating.I ordered mine fromATARIGUIDE.COM.Plus,using the ORIGINAL or exact equivalent Atari adapter,the tip is permanent,and you wont accidently put the tip on in the wrong direction and fry your Atari,DONT screw around with ADAPTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rik, Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:53 PM.

#3 godzillajoe OFFLINE  

godzillajoe

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,399 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:36 PM

I guess I'll just have to wait until I can call Best on Monday morning. And I JUST got a set of paddles from them. Crap.

#4 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,395 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:56 PM

Radio Shack makes adapters that will work just fine, though they're a bit pricey. I think the original 2600 adapter was specified for 500mA, but in practice the 2600 will usually work with less than that unless you're using something like a SuperCharger. If you limit yourself to modern carts, a 300mA supply should suffice. Otherwise, there's no harm in going with a bigger supply (except that you'll spend more).

#5 A.J. Franzman OFFLINE  

A.J. Franzman

River Patroller

• 4,326 posts
  • Syzygyst

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:02 PM

Yes, if Radio Shack (or The Source) has one with higher than 500mA output rating, that will work too. I usually find my replacement wall warts at thrift stores and swap meets for a buck or so. The 1/8" phone plug is the hardest part to match (and I find it not worth the effort to buy a replacement plug and install it), so that's what I look for first. Then see if it's in the range of 7.5 to 9 V DC, tip positive, and 500 or more mA. There seem to have been a few answering machines whose supplies fit these specs, so they are out there if you look for them.

Edited by A.J. Franzman, Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:10 PM.

#6 rjchamp3 OFFLINE  

rjchamp3

Stargunner

• 1,538 posts
  • The Nes Dream Master

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:07 PM

Yes radio shack is just fine

#7 nathanallan OFFLINE  

nathanallan

Quadrunner

• 5,581 posts

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:43 AM

I priced one there and they wanted something like $30 for the power supply and another $4 for the tip. I passed, found what I needed at the flea market and went ahead and bought the tip. I think I paid $2 for the supply. Another place to give a shot is

www.sciplus.com

they always have neat yet odd stuff cheap.

Nathan

#8 A.J. Franzman OFFLINE  

A.J. Franzman

River Patroller

• 4,326 posts
  • Syzygyst

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:28 PM

I priced one there and they wanted something like $30 for the power supply and another $4 for the tip. I passed, found what I needed at the flea market and went ahead and bought the tip. I think I paid $2 for the supply. Another place to give a shot is

www.sciplus.com

they always have neat yet odd stuff cheap.

A. Radio Shack now sells both traditional transformer power supplies, and lightweight (but expensive) switch-mode supplies. The $30 price must be for the switching supply. The last transformer supply I bought from them cost about $12, IIRC.

B. With either type, you get one free tip of your choice with purchase (it says so right on the box).

But you're right, surplus places and other sources are cheaper - it just might take some searching to find what you need.

Edited by A.J. Franzman, Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:29 PM.

#9 Spirantho OFFLINE  

Spirantho

Stargunner

• 1,565 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:47 AM

I use a nice surge-protected 1200mA supply myself, quite often... when not using the original Ingersoll brick anyway.

However, bear in mind that if you plonked 9V through it in the wrong direction (i.e. your polarity was wrong) you may well have fried something in your Atari... they tend not to like it! I've blown up a Sinclair Spectrum that way myself...

#10 AtariLover! OFFLINE  

AtariLover!

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:46 AM

Are you sure it didn't work with a universal adapter? When I tried to fix my ATARI 2600 4-switch it worked fine with the adapter for a while, but then they shorted out. :(

#11 AtariLover! OFFLINE  

AtariLover!

Star Raider

• 61 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:49 AM

You just cant use any adapter,most adapters at radio shack are 9volt,that doesnt mean its the right one,what s important is the mA rating,here are the specs for the atari 2600 adapter--INPUT=120VAC,60Hz,200mA.OUTPUT=9VDC,500mA.I myself looked at radio shack(now called THE SOURCE)here in Canada and could NOT find the proper one with the proper mA rating.I ordered mine fromATARIGUIDE.COM.Plus,using the ORIGINAL or exact equivalent Atari adapter,the tip is permanent,and you wont accidently put the tip on in the wrong direction and fry your Atari,DONT screw around with ADAPTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think thats what happened, I think I fried my atari. I'm an atari-killer!

#12 dbg2950 OFFLINE  

dbg2950

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:22 AM

insert picture of kyle from south park

YOU BASTARDS!!!

#13 A.J. Franzman OFFLINE  

A.J. Franzman

River Patroller

• 4,326 posts
  • Syzygyst

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:17 PM

You just cant use any adapter {...} I ordered mine fromATARIGUIDE.COM.Plus,using the ORIGINAL or exact equivalent Atari adapter,the tip is permanent,and you wont accidently put the tip on in the wrong direction and fry your Atari,DONT screw around with ADAPTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think thats what happened, I think I fried my atari. I'm an atari-killer!

Firstly, don't ever flip the polarity (or feed it AC power :o ) -- just make sure the tip is positive, and be extra careful if your adapter has a polarity switch or reversible output plug. If I have an adapter with reversible plug, I use heat-shrinkable tubing to make sure it stays in place, in the correct polarity.

Secondly, if the console was fed with reversed polarity or AC, there are only a few parts likely to be damaged: the power regulator and the large electrolytic filter capacitor are the most likely. Slightly less likely is the TIA IC. Most everything else is either not likely to be affected, or is protected by being "downstream" from the regulator. (The TIA IC is only vulnerable because it has one input derived from unregulated power, but even that has some diode protection.)

Edited by A.J. Franzman, Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:19 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users