Photo

Save Key Review

50 replies to this topic

#26 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,342 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2006 5:29 PM

That is so cool. I haven't bought a homebrew in a few years. I may buy one and get this thing.

I got a question though, will all the games that use it, rewright over each other? Or will they look for the first empty slot and save there? That would be cool if you could save all your games on them.

#27 jbanes OFFLINE  

jbanes

River Patroller

• 3,079 posts
  • Coming soon to a natural satellite near you...

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2006 5:43 PM

I got a question though, will all the games that use it, rewright over each other? Or will they look for the first empty slot and save there? That would be cool if you could save all your games on them.

Each area of the SaveKey is reserved by a different game. As long as the programmers continue to pay attention to the procedures and documents for reserving their space, homebrew games will not overwrite each other. Eventually, all the space on the SaveKey will be allocated; at which point who knows what will happen? In the meantime, though, there's still plenty of space for more homebrews. :)

#28 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,938 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2006 7:35 PM

In the meantime, though, there's still plenty of space for more homebrews. :)

Yes, plenty, there are a total of 512 blocks on board. If those ever run out (doubtful), we could change that to 1024 pretty easily. ;)

#29 Uzumaki OFFLINE  

Uzumaki

River Patroller

• 2,320 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2006 8:44 PM

Or you could upgrade now and not worry for years. 24LC256 or go all the way to 24LC1024 (8 mega, 4096 block) and not worry about running out for the next 1,000 years. :D

Since the pinout is pretty much the same, you could easily change anytime.

#30 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,401 posts

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2006 10:17 PM

Each area of the SaveKey is reserved by a different game. As long as the programmers continue to pay attention to the procedures and documents for reserving their space, homebrew games will not overwrite each other. Eventually, all the space on the SaveKey will be allocated; at which point who knows what will happen? In the meantime, though, there's still plenty of space for more homebrews. :)

Slight correction. The SaveKey has three storage areas on it:

$0000-$2FFF : This area is allocated by Richard H. to particular games. Strat-O-Gems uses $0100-$01FF; other games uses different areas. There are 192 blocks of 64 bytes each.

$3000-$3FFF : This area is free for any game to use, with the proviso that a game should not expect data written there to remain between plays. Strat-O-Gems uses $3FC0-$3FFF as a scratchpad area; other games in future may require much more.

$4000-$7FFF : This area is supposed to work like a disk drive. The first byte of each area will be $FF if it's unused, or something else if it's used. Nobody's really quite figured out how this should work.

#31 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,938 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2006 11:42 PM

Slight correction. The SaveKey has three storage areas on it:

$0000-$2FFF : This area is allocated by Richard H. to particular games. Strat-O-Gems uses $0100-$01FF; other games uses different areas. There are 192 blocks of 64 bytes each.

$3000-$3FFF : This area is free for any game to use, with the proviso that a game should not expect data written there to remain between plays. Strat-O-Gems uses $3FC0-$3FFF as a scratchpad area; other games in future may require much more.

$4000-$7FFF : This area is supposed to work like a disk drive. The first byte of each area will be $FF if it's unused, or something else if it's used. Nobody's really quite figured out how this should work.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about the extra sections :dunce:, either way there could be more added after $8000.

#32 Richard H. OFFLINE  

Richard H.

Stargunner

• 1,026 posts
  • VirtualBoy 32MBit cart

Posted Sat Dec 2, 2006 7:13 AM

As nothing was decided, I made this area into regular slots

will all the games that use it, rewright over each other? Or will they look for the first empty slot and save there? That would be cool if you could save all your games on them.

See this page

#33 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,848 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:42 PM

One disadvantage of AtariVox and the SaveKey is they tie up the 2nd controller port. That keeps it from being used for multiplayer games such as Medieval Mayhem.

With clever programming you could put the Save Key into the 2nd port after the game is over and still record highscores that way.

#34 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 17,013 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:46 PM

With clever programming you could put the Save Key into the 2nd port after the game is over and still record highscores that way.

That would be great, have a "save" option from a menu or have it save when you turn the right difficulty switch from A to B and wait 3 to 5 seconds or something like that. (although it wouldn't take 5 seconds to save it's just good to wait so you don't pull it out during the write cycle and fry the key)

#35 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,848 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:16 AM

That would be great, have a "save" option from a menu or have it save when you turn the right difficulty switch from A to B and wait 3 to 5 seconds or something like that. (although it wouldn't take 5 seconds to save it's just good to wait so you don't pull it out during the write cycle and fry the key)

You wouldn't even need an extra option. Just let the game constantly check for the Save Key. And when its there, just do the updates (which takes ~5ms).

#36 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 17,013 posts

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 AM

You wouldn't even need an extra option. Just let the game constantly check for the Save Key. And when its there, just do the updates (which takes ~5ms).

But it would be nicer eye candy to do it my way :)

#37 Richard H. OFFLINE  

Richard H.

Stargunner

• 1,026 posts
  • VirtualBoy 32MBit cart

Posted Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:15 AM

That'd be cool !

Edited by Richard H., Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:03 AM.

#38 ACrystal2011 OFFLINE  

ACrystal2011

Dragonstomper

• 583 posts

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 PM

I want one!

#39 Serious OFFLINE  

Serious

Dragonstomper

• 963 posts
  • WTB: Manuals for 2600 Espial and Stronghold

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 PM

I want one!

I believe the AtariVox will be re-released soon, and will have this functionality. I am looking forward to getting one, myself.

#40 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,666 posts

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 PM

WOW, EPIC BUMP, 6 YEARS, LOLZ!!!

I'll be up for one of the updated AtariVox'es, even though the only game I have that uses it is Stat-O-Gems. How many games are there that use the save key and not the Vox, or visa-versa? Also bear in mind that the speakjet chip is $25 a pop, which greatly increases the expense of the AtariVox'es.

Another recent development that kinda makes the save key obsolete, is that newer games like Chetiry and others now save data directly onto the melody cartridge. I'd imagine if most homebrew authors had a choice between supporting the save key or storing the game data on actual cartridge memory, they'd use the on board cartridge memory. It's nice to be able to save my Tetris um, I meant "Chetiry" high scores directly on the cart...

Edited by stardust4ever, Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:04 PM.

#41 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• 1,859 posts
  • 10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1));

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013 2:49 PM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just got my SaveKey from CPUWIZ today. Very cool. It's worth it just for Man Goes Down. I'll be playing the other supported games a bit more now, too. :)

#42 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• 1,859 posts
  • 10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1));

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013 3:36 PM

I found this list with a bit of forum searching, I was trying to find out if any newer games support the SaveKey. I'm not sure if all these games include full support for AtariVox or the SaveKey, but they do have reserved locations.

Does anyone have a definitive current list of supported games?

http://www.richard.h.../new_page_6.htm

00 0000 - 003F System Settings (TV mode)
01 0040 - 007F Man Goes Down' (Alex Herbert)
02 0080 - 00BF Fall Down (Aaron Curtis)
03 00C0 - 00FF Go Fish! (Bob Montgomery)
04 0100 - 013F Strat-O-Gems (John Payson)
05 0140 - 017F Strat-O-Gems (John Payson)
06 0180 - 01BF Strat-O-Gems (John Payson)
07 01C0 - 01FF Strat-O-Gems (John Payson)
08 0200 - 023F AStar (Aaron Curtis)
09 0240 - 027F bonQ (Ken Siders)
0A 0280 - 02BF bonQ (Ken Siders)
0B 02C0 - 02FF Lead / Pitch'n'Catch (Simone Serra)
0C 0300 - 033F Elevators Amiss (Bob Montgomery)
0D 0340 - 037F Juno First (Chris Walton)
0E 0380 - 03BF Karate Master (Greg Kennedy)
0F 03C0 - 03FF Halloween game TBA (Mark Ball)
10 0400 - 043F Duck Attack! (Will Nicholes)
11 0440 - 047F Duck Attack! (Will Nicholes)
12 0480 - 04BF Monster! (Mark Ball)
13 04C0 - 04FF Worm! (Mark Ball)
14 0500 - 053F Indenture (Will Nicholes)
15 0540 - 057F Indenture (Will Nicholes)
16 0580 - 05BF AtariVox Spell & Speak (Mike Saarna)
17 05C0 - 05FF AtariVox Spell & Speak (Mike Saarna)
18 0600 - 063F Boulder Dash (Andrew Davie & Thomas Jentzsch)

#43 toymailman OFFLINE  

toymailman

River Patroller

• 2,182 posts

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013 6:09 PM

Does anyone have a definitive current list of supported games?

Ha, this is too funny. I just started such a thread here. But it will have to be updated based on the information from the list above.

#44 mos6507 OFFLINE  

mos6507

River Patroller

• 4,915 posts

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013 6:30 PM

Also bear in mind that the speakjet chip is $25 a pop, which greatly increases the expense of the AtariVox'es.

It wasn't $25 a pop for the ones I built. I got a massive discount which really is what enabled me to make so many in one batch.

#45 ACrystal2011 OFFLINE  

ACrystal2011

Dragonstomper

• 583 posts

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013 7:43 PM

Love my save key. Blue LED is sweet :D

#46 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Moonsweeper

• 447 posts
  • Lost in Time.

Posted Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:06 PM

So, I'm bringing a dead thread back to life, because it was either that or make a new one just like it. 

I just got my Savekey from CPUWIZ a few days ago and I LOVE IT! :love: (Thank You CPUWIZ!) It's an amazing device that does just what the name suggests. It saves your high scores and on some games, replays and even your position in the game so you can turn off your Atari and come back to it later. The one thing I have to note is that it only works with certain homebrew games. The thing to remember is, if you just have ONE of those games, the Savekey is something you REALLY want! (If you have an AtariVox, the Savekey feature is built-in, so you don't need to buy one). It's amazing to start up a game and see a high score table with your score and initials right there. Now the features do vary from game to game. Some games only save the score, some save the score and your initials. Other games have what you might call a save-point, allowing you to start where you left off the last time you played. Strat-O-Gems even saves replay data, so you can watch your best combos again and again. I can't say enough about how cool this little thing is. For those of you wondering, it does work with the Harmony Cart too! CPUWIZ did an amazing job putting this one together for me. It looks amazing and works perfectly. I really can't Thank him enough for sending me this. :thumbsup:  Mine looks just like the one pictured earlier in this thread. It has the blue tip with a keychain and blue LED. From what I understand, demand wasn't very high for these when they were first made. I really think people should give them a second look now. With the homebrews that use the save functions, these things are really nice. If you can afford it, the Atarivox+ can do the same thing and has the added voice feature, but for those on a budget, the Savekey is awesome. You really can't go wrong with one. :-D

#47 tdp OFFLINE  

tdp

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:55 AM

@RamrodHare - I'm waiting for CPUWIZ to build mine. It feels like it taking an age.

#48 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Moonsweeper

• 447 posts
  • Lost in Time.

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:02 AM

@RamrodHare - I'm waiting for CPUWIZ to build mine. It feels like it taking an age.

When did you order it?

#49 tdp OFFLINE  

tdp

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:48 AM

When did you order it?

It's okay - PM'd the order to him. He's busy with real life, like the rest of us.

#50 tdp OFFLINE  

tdp

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:16 PM

Ok - just got my Savekey. I have just quickly tested it with Man Go Down (awesome game by the way). The device works perfectly. Imagine, game saves on a console from 1977!!!! Absolutely massive thanks to CPUWiz for a great product. If you have Atarivox/+games or a Harmony cart with those games on it - get one. I can recommend CPUWiz, he is a reliable Atarian.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users