IGNORED

Hack 7800 Centiped to Millipede?

Curt Vendel

I've got to confess I never did like the Centipede style games.

But I'm curious... what would the main differences be between Centipede and Millipede? I don't think I've ever really known.

There's QUITE a few differences between the two:

1.) More and different insects (Earwig instead of Scorpion, Bees, Mosquitos, Wasps, Inchworms, Ladybugs)

2.) Multiple spiders as one's score increases (I think at one point there were four on screen at once?)

3.) DDT bombs (can eliminate most, if not all, of a millipede in one shot, and is worth a nice 800 points)

4.) Insect waves (a wave where there is nothing but bees, mosquitos, or wasps going downward)

5.) Mushrooms cycle in and out/die and regrow (eliminates the old strategy used in Centipede)

6.) Starting difficulties (can choose what score to start out at depending on skill level)

Hope that helps.

I'd definitely buy a copy. This game is awesome. Far better than Centipede. Love the fast paced action. Even the 2600 version is awesome, but a 7800 version would rule.

Hi

yes,i would buy a copy too,but i fear that it is not so easy to hack Centipede into Millipede.Unfortunately i have not the knowledge to do it.I checked Centipede with the Hackomatic and the Tilemolester,but i did not find any useful.

greetings gambler172

yes,i would buy a copy too,but i fear that it is not so easy to hack Centipede into Millipede.Unfortunately i have not the knowledge to do it.I checked Centipede with the Hackomatic and the Tilemolester,but i did not find any useful.

It wouldn't really be a hack. Rather, it would be additional programming to add more characters, events, and graphics to the gameplay. That's why it's important that the original source code is available. One would have a much better chance of making a working Millipede when all the original programmer formatting and comments are in place. I haven't seen the code (yet, anyway; still busy with the other project), but hopefully the original coder wasn't too much of a hacker to leave behind a bit of info on what each part did. For most programmers, this is as important for themselves as it is for others. :)

Or course, there's always the possibility that the code is full of hacks and poorly written code that makes lots of assumptions. In which case it might be faster to start over. :(

I tried making the Millipede mushroom and threw it into Eric's Ball demo. Yuck. It looks squished and is too big. I just used a captured shot from the arcade. I guess I'll have to modify the mushroom more(as well as the other graphics) to fit the 7800 graphics.

Allan

balldemh.zip

Edited by Allan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...