IGNORED

Do you own an arcade machine?

Rhindle The Red

Do you own an arcade machine?  

390 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an arcade machine?

• Yes. The Genuine Article.
    • Yes. One of those "reproduction-type" things.
    • No. But I've always wanted one.
    • No. But I used to.
    • No. I'm not interested.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...
This is still my ultimate dream. Ever since I saw my first episode of Silver Spoons, I vowed I would have an arcade cabinet in my home someday. Still waiting...

I wonder how many of us who can remember that show first started wanting an arcade cabinet at home after watching it. The idea that you could actually have an arcade game at home, whenever you wanted to play it . . .

I almost bought a Rastan cabinet at one point for $100, and I regret now that I didn't do it. I lived in student housing at the time, though, and really didn't have anyone to help me move it. Also almost bought a Simpsons machine once, but again, circumstances got in the way.

I'd love to own a Donkey Kong Jr. cabinet (my favorite arcade game when I was a kid), a Donkey Kong cabinet, a Tron cabinet, a Star Wars cabinet (you know, the one from the '80s you sat in like the cockpit of an X-Wing), and a Ms. Pac-Man cabinet (have good memories of being at the bar on Friday evenings with other M.A. and Ph.D. students and setting the high score each time).

I picked up a Popeye machine at auction last week. I replaced the three buttons with repro Nintendo buttons (blue/blue/orange). The joystick isn't working, but I ordered a bracket from Mike's Arcade so I can use a standard Happ joystick since new or repro Nintendo joysticks are a little hard to find right now.

My current line up is: Popeye, Gauntlet (4 player), Ms. Pacman and Chicago Gaming Extreme Arcade.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Astro City and Neo 29

Nice. I've been lurking to get a sit down candy cab but nothing ever shows up around here. My my back issues it is hard to use my regular machines. Enjoying more mame when I have a few minutes while hot glue or nail polish is drying on something I'm working on. I love save states, great for A.D.D. multitaskers.

Candy cabinets are good for kids too as they are at the right height. Neo 29 is way better for kids however as its 90% steel. Astro City is nice and light due to fiberglass contruction, but easy to break if kids sit on control panel. If you do get a candy cabinet make sure its safe. Example my Neo 29 was hot for 8 years or so and then I find out the hard way. Astro City is easy to get parts for so its nice that way. I would also recommend changing the Astro City's kick panel on the bottom as its very sharp. I had a new one made so its nice and safe for home use. Neo's are wired for MVS, but easy to covert to jamma. The reason I got two is one for vertical and one for horizontal games.

would you use for console games or arcade PCBs?

If I did it all over again I would get two Sega Blast City due to tri-mode chassis

Edited by grips03

So, this week's announcment of a new arcade-style unit from Awesome Arcades got me thinking. How many of you out there have an arcade machine?

Is it the real McCoy or a repro, like the Personal Arcade Machine?

If you've got one, what is it?

If you don't, what would it be if you did?

Me?

I've always wanted a Neo Geo MVS system.

*sigh*

Mine is both! It's a real arcade cab (Klax) that was rescued and turned into a glorious MAME/Hyperspin cab.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Nope. Not yet. I just don't have enough room in my apartment but, hopefully when I move out, I'll have a place on a private lot where I'll have enough room to build a game room to put a few games.

I'd like to have Double Dragon, Rolling Thunder, Undercover Cops, Astyanax, Black Tiger, U.N. Squadron, Golden Axe, Time Soldiers, Contra and I'm sure there are many others that I just can't remember at the moment.

I started out collecting Arcade Machines and ran out of room at 85 cabs and 2 pinball machines. I'm a big fan of black and white Atari games and ones with original controls like trackballs, handlebars, steering wheels, spinners, etc.

Wow - where are you keeping 85 cabinets? Are they on display, or all packed together?

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted an Arcade machine.. 

These are the ones I've wanted.. 

Area 51

TMNT The Arcade game

Xmen The Arcade Game

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and or Mortal Kombat 3

I have an Area 51 and House of The Dead 2, Capcom/Marvel 2 and Ultimate MK3. I don't play the shooters often since they stay somewhat the same after playing through so many times but Ultimate gets regular use and can still be quite challenging.
  • Like 1

There was no option for "I'm lending space for an association that I'm a member of to have an arcade game in my apartment", so I chose the first option although I technically don't own it myself. Not that it cost the association a lot, it is a generic cabinet with a shoddy control panel and currently a bootleg Ghosts 'n Goblins board with JAMMA adapter, I think. Since it isn't a modern reproduction (I presume it means X86 based with MAME?), it still qualifies as option 1.

However, the day my association finds a club room where it can be kept, I'll rejoice at the reclaimed space in my hall way so to some part I'll eventually fall inbetween options 4 and 5. I don't think I'd replace it with a cabinet of my own if the space was made free again. IMHO it simply takes more space than the added benefit is from playing arcade games vs home versions.

• 3 weeks later...

Double Dragon brings a special memory for me. It was the first conversion kit I did at a company that ran video games. I put it into a Taito "Jungle Hunt" cabinet if I remember correctly! Took awhile. Had to strip all the old game stuff out, wiring, buttons, joystick, marquee. Then drilling new holes for 2 buttons-per player and 2 joysticks. Putting on the new control panel overlay, then pexi-glass over that and more drilling. Then add the buttons, joysticks, and wire it all up! Was a learning experience for sure, but fun because you got to be the first to play the new game! Had to make sure it worked, right?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...