Photo

PS2 or X-Box, which should I buy this weekend?

15 replies to this topic

#1 mikebossy OFFLINE  

mikebossy

Star Raider

• 75 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 3:21 AM

I will be purchasing one or the other, any suggestions or opinions? Any help is appreciated.

#2 Bez OFFLINE  

Bez

Dragonstomper

• 517 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 3:40 AM

History on this board has proved that this is an academic matter.

People who are against the Xbox use arguments like; itīs MS product, big, oversized controllers, boring/not enough games.

I got both systems and if I had to choose today, I would most probably have chosen both again. Yes, the Xbox has got supreme hardware, but less games than the PS2.

Stillm, my advice is get the Xbox!

#3 Noble Kale OFFLINE  

Noble Kale

River Patroller

• 2,461 posts
  • Bladed Angel fast descending

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 4:18 AM

There are some good arguments for either side here.
XBox has the hardware to be a potentially good system. After the price drop (or, should I say, crash), it's not too expensive. I expect to see some nice looking games from it.

The PS2 has been around for a little while longer, and has some nice features. The controllers are nice. However, the biggest thing going for it, is the fact that it has the game library of two systems when you include ps1 games.

Bear in mind, when I said that I expect to see nice looking games on the xbox, I said 'nice looking'. Graphics aren't everything.

As such, it seems to me that the ps2 has a few more pro's than the xbox. The clincher is the number of, and greater variety of types of, games. People may say 'but that's only because you're including the ps1 games!', but the ps2 seems to have better games even without the ps1 games included.

As a result, it seems to me that the ps2 is (for now) the better system. Until Microsoft come up with the games that people want to play, and a lot more of them, their console just won't be as good as the ps2. Sony seems to have done their homework.

#4 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 3,067 posts
  • Mind Threat Into The Future.

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 6:37 AM

I would have to say go with the PS2 only because it's acutally a blast to play and it has a load of games for it!

Backward compatibale with ps1 games and aside from that you have the great great fun killer titles:

GTA3
Max Payne
Metal Gear Solid 2 (if you like that sort of game)
Mister ma'skeeto (haha) anyhow.. it's ok too!
Virtua Fighter 4
(and several other Sega games!)

I think there's about 15 games I have to have on the ps2 and only about 2-3 that I really want on the xbox.

However, the ultimate choice is to do the research on both systems as far as the games. Either case, PS2 still has the largest selection.

Good luck, and whichever you get, just make sure your happy!

Clint

#5 mikebossy OFFLINE  

mikebossy

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 75 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 11:52 PM

I am leaning PS2. The Xbox would seem to be superior system wise, but how much better does it make the gameplay or graphics? I like the larger game library, but was trying to get the opinions of people who have played or owned both, thinking they would be the best judges. I am sure I will buy whichever sytem I don't buy this weekend at the next price drop anyway.

#6 Alex OFFLINE  

Alex

Stargunner

• 1,193 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 12:04 PM

I would agree that the PS2 is the better choice right now. XBox has impressive hardware and I've seen some amazing graphics, but PS2 just has a better game library right now, and that's really all that matters in the end. That said, my gf and another friend have an XBox, and I've had a blast with Halo, FIFA, and Rally Sport Challenge (amazing graphics).

Another bonus with the PS2 is that they now have a greatest hits linupe at $20, so you can pick up some great cheap titles. Hmmm, may need to go buy a PS2 now...

#7 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,210 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 12:32 PM

Faced with a decision to get a PS2 or Xbox, I would also lean towards the PS2 now. Games are everything when it comes to consoles, and there are very few games that I find appealing on the Xbox that aren't already available on other platforms. If I had an Xbox, I think the only two games I'd purchase would be Halo and Rallisport Challenge. However, for the PS2 I have a large collection of excellent games: Gran Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy X, Jak & Daxter, Rez, Frequency, Ico, Metal Gear Solid 2, etc. Plus all the excellent PSX games I've purchased over the years.

I also prefer the Dual Shock 2 controllers over the unwieldy Xbox controllers. I'm not even too crazy about the new, smaller Xbox controllers, although they are definitely an improvement over the originals. You also need to buy a remote in order to play DVDs on the Xbox, whereas the PS2 can play them straight of the box (although you can buy a remote to make movie viewing easier).

Yes, the Xbox has some pretty nice hardware hidden under its skin, but until it has more exclusive games that take advantage of that power and are fun to play, it's not going to win me over, even at $200.

..Al

#8 liveinabin OFFLINE  

liveinabin

Painty Man!

• 6,436 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 3:11 PM

Don't think about the system too much - look at the games, find the ones that interest you and buy the machine to run them on.
Failing that, just spend the whole lot on beer

#9 mikebossy OFFLINE  

mikebossy

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 75 posts

Posted Sat May 18, 2002 7:52 PM

I have decided to buy the PS2 tomorrow. Now I need to get some games. Is anyone interested in trading any PS2 games for some Atari 2600, DC, Genesis, Snes, or NES games? Or cash? If anyone is interested, let me know what you have to trade.

#10 Eduardo OFFLINE  

Eduardo

Moonsweeper

• 487 posts

Posted Sun May 19, 2002 2:32 AM

GTA3 is good.

#11 sdstuff64 OFFLINE  

sdstuff64

River Patroller

• 4,318 posts

Posted Sun May 19, 2002 5:44 AM

make sure to look for the greatest hits games,only $19.99!!!!!!

#12 Osbo OFFLINE  

Osbo

River Patroller

• 2,457 posts
  • This is a test...

Posted Mon May 20, 2002 10:58 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Clint Thompson:
Metal Gear Solid 2 (if you like that sort of game)

Dude, metal gear rocks!!!

Osbo

#13 CosmicJoke OFFLINE  

CosmicJoke

Moonsweeper

• 495 posts

Posted Mon May 20, 2002 12:04 PM

Hey, I am not a Nintendo fan but you might want to consider a GameCube too. It seems they have dropped their price to $149(effective Tuesday). There is an article on CNN. Check out Albert's post.

I just thought I would help confuse the issue a bit more.

Although I would stick with a PS2 since it does have more games. I have had one for over a year now and I have only very recently found it to have enough games to be worthwhile.

This "Price War" is starting to get pretty exciting though! I might end up with all of them by the end of summer.

#14 ATARIPITBULL OFFLINE  

ATARIPITBULL

LICK MY RED ROCKET LIKE A CANDY CAIN !!!

• 6,394 posts
  • Rub my belly and get a surprise in your face !!

Posted Mon May 20, 2002 1:58 PM

Even though PS2 might have more games right now, more and more companys are starting to make games for both systems and I feel that XBox has more power and better game play.

#15 Varan OFFLINE  

Varan

Moonsweeper

• 261 posts

Posted Tue May 21, 2002 9:31 PM

I would recommend systems in this order:

PS2 - Larger Game Library. Comes with the best controller. Strong international sales. PS3 in 2005 will most likely be backwards compatible and play PS1 and PS2 software.

GameCube - Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Resident Evil, Mario World, Zelda and Metroid.

X-Box - Online games like Halo. Controllers suck... but there is an adapter out there so you can use a PS2 controller. International sales, however, are weak so the life of this system is still in question.

Dreamcast - Woot! Tennis 2k2!

#16 AtariDude OFFLINE  

AtariDude

River Patroller

• 4,260 posts
  • Playing Freedom Planet on my 27 Inch iMac

Posted Wed May 22, 2002 7:46 PM

While they have both have their advantages, the PS2s larger library is the best reason to get it rather than the Xbox. Microsoft is trying to play catchup and get more games for their system but other than Halo, there has been very little that truly stands out (I am sure that will change with time).

The PS2 can also play DVD movies right out of the box but I believe that you need to buy a kit with the Xbox in order for it to play DVDs.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users