IGNORED

FIdoNet...?

DarkLord

Not a bad idea... but most WiFi routers can't get much further past the next house or so. (At least, not in my area).

You try that Dualterm yet?

Negative to the Dualterm question. I'll be setting up my vintage equipment in about a month I'd say. Gathering info on how to get them all up to 2016 speed in the meantime.

I'm of the opinion ATASCII should've been added to later versions of TOS. Atari Corp really didn't throw too many bones to the Atari 8-bit community to get them to fully embrace the ST line back in the day.

Edited by Lynxpro

I have no idea. I know Rich Sanchez had BBS Express ST in his hands from the moment I got into BBS'ing until he released it into the public domain. I though it was Keith Ledbetter

who had it before him. I'm not sure if Express was in anybody else's hands...

Yes, Keith Ledbetter wrote BBS Express ST and sold it to ICD. I called him back in the early 90's when I heard they were selling it, seeing if I could lease the source code, but he said he had to get rid of all copies when he sold it...

• Like 1

Web based now for stuff like the forums here.

I'm surprised nobody has tried reviving the BBS scene via wifi routers.

Actually with that version of Citidel you can login to the command line version of Citidel just like the original. Really the front end stuff was added and is pretty well integrated over the original backend. (Don't know if I stated that right, you can login like it was a BBS or connect via the web stuff)

• Like 1

Actually with that version of Citidel you can login to the command line version of Citidel just like the original. Really the front end stuff was added and is pretty well integrated over the original backend. (Don't know if I stated that right, you can login like it was a BBS or connect via the web stuff)

I saw pics of that. I'd be amazed if that's original code there with everything added to it later. I was thinking the environment was probably "emulated".

If ISPs clamp down and institute bandwidth caps, it might be wise for interactive forums to revert back to the BBS style graphics. We all have to do our part in conserving those precious bits and bytes. And considering the black background version of Google's homepage, perhaps there's an environmental argument [in terms of energy conservation] to be made as well.

• 7 years later...
On 2/3/2016 at 9:51 PM, Tillek said:

Well, I tried PM'ing... no reply (looks like you haven't been here since posting)... Still interested in contacting you. Ball is in your court... you made an account here and never checked it again, are you serious about being contacted? Things got busy in 2014 with my mother dying and going back to school to finish my degree... but I have some time on my hands now to work on things and I'd really like to get in touch with you. PM me if you're still interested.

Or even better, call the BBS.... telnet bbs.sfhqbbs.org:5983 and relive why you loved this hobby in the first place!

OMG - so close - and yet.... whats new eh?  Bummer.