IGNORED

7800 Missing in Action

jpfalcon2003

It's not about hoarding the game-the fellow in question has released others through reproductions and downright rom releases. They just can't get it to copy, and last time I talked to him, he said that it wasn't a high priority in his life right now, but that he'd try to get it to copy and made available to the community when the time arises.

Bothering him about it won't make it happen any faster, and all the negativity and complaining that happens in the hobby is the main reason he's distanced himself from it in the first place(hence why I'm not saying who it is). Just be patient, and it will come out eventually :P

Oh, ok, then

I'll take off that hex

Vin

Pretty funny Vin. I do think it will be an awesome game for everyone to have for the 7800 though. I would love to have it.

Why not design your own beat 'em up instead? If enough of them come out, MIA will fall into unimportance. Pit Fighter needs to be completed anyway, maybe that's a start. I'd try it, but a) I don't know how to program the 7800 yet and b) when I'm ready to program it I've got a couple of other projects in mind.

With it being a proto, who knows what problems it could have? I mean, we assume a proto might not be complete or playable, but there's any number of reasons that maybe it shouldn't be released. That said, if he says it won't copy correctly, I'll take his word for it.

Perhaps the ROM image exists in more than one place anyway. It might be sitting on an old hard drive somewhere, untouched since the drive's platter won't spin up. A copy might be gathering dust in a salvage yard.

Who knows?

I'd say the same thing for the other unreleased protos, too.

Pit Fighter would be nice. But that one needs alot of help with the graphics, judging from the screenshots.

That's because it's not really Pitfighter with those graphics. Honestly, if someone hadn't told you that the game was Pitfighter, would you have known? It looks like a generic Double Dragon clone to me. I can't believe they were even trying to pull off Pitfighter on the 7800...

Tempest

Pit Fighter would be nice. But that one needs alot of help with the graphics, judging from the screenshots.

That's because it's not really Pitfighter with those graphics. Honestly, if someone hadn't told you that the game was Pitfighter, would you have known? It looks like a generic Double Dragon clone to me. I can't believe they were even trying to pull off Pitfighter on the 7800...

Tempest

Agreed with you there. I can't see Pitfighter possibly being pulled off on the 7800. At least anything close to the arcade version. I actually have Pit Fighter for the SNES and it is very Arcade close. The 7800 version looks awful when compared to it.

Tempest

Agreed with you there. I can't see Pitfighter possibly being pulled off on the 7800. At least anything close to the arcade version. I actually have Pit Fighter for the SNES and it is very Arcade close. The 7800 version looks awful when compared to it.

Ya know and who cares? Pitfighter kinda sucks anyway even on the SNES. I might be dead wrong but the attraction of Missing in Action (besides the recent Chuck Norris craze) is that it was original and it looked pretty cool... lots better tha the 7800's Double Dragon

Cousin Vinnie

Th is sorta reminds me of a story I heard at a film fest some years back. There was this guy who had copies of the films actually made by Thomas Edison. But he would not let anyone see them except for stills like those from MIA. In fact the only way he would let anyone even hold them if they gave him $50,000 and a million dollars a piece to buy them. Dispite how rare those thems are no one wanted to pay that much for them. Eventually the greedy bastard died, and it was his only family who finally turned those films over to the UCLA Film and TV Archive, and did not ask a dime for them.

• Like 1

I played Pit Fighter in the arcade. It sucked there, too. Though it would be nice to see the prototype finished into something playable, I'm not surprised that it wasn't completed.

Given the hardware requirements, why would one want to port a game that wasn't so great anyway?

I know what we need--instead of something like PitFighter, let's make a prequel to one of the more popular names that bore the Atari logo.

Rush 1985 anyone?

LOL -- I actually thought the SNES version really sucked too. It was one of those games that I thought looked closer on the Genesis than the SNES. Pit Fighter is a pretty cheap game regardless of system IMO ... once the novelty wore off of it being digitized, it really didn't seem very good.

The 7800 version isn't even close to finished, though I'm also in the "why bother?" category. Mortal Kombat on the Sega Master System is a technical achievement but it's still a sucky version. The 7800 wouldn't realistically pull off those digitized graphics at a decent frame rate so why invest the effort?

One thing I will give Pit Fighter on the 7800 though was it's sprites were pretty big. It didn't don on me until you see it on a TV. But the game is hardly playable. the graphics are generic, there's no sound and some serious playability flaws.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to push this up, Joe (at DP) is offering to sell the prototype for $5000 if anyone is interested. Guess he may have spotted this topic :P

Figured I'd mention it anyhow... now all we need is Wonder007 to unleash his wallet again ;)

(the money btw will go into funding CGE next year as it's going to be back in Vegas apparently, so I imagine transporting stuff in storage from Cali ain't gonna be cheap)

Not that I have really ever had a say in the Atari game prototype world but I have to wonder out loud why he is asking for such an obviously rediculous amount. This seems like more of a publicity stunt or something to that effect to me (for whatever reason).

Well, this game has been known to exist for years, but nobody's been able to get a copy and dump the ROM successfully..... I'd guess that there's a few Atari collectors who might want to spend $5000 to get their hands on one of the few prototypes that hasn't been released into the public in some form yet.