IGNORED

Looking for DOS XE technical info and a copy of OS/A+ v.4.x

drac030

Hello

I wrote several articles to the Atariki (our Atari wiki, http://atariki.krap.pl) about Atari 8-bit filesystems, and I was pretty sure that all of them are covered, when I came across an information that OSS OS/A+ 4.1 had proprietary filesystem format, incompatible with the one used by OS/A+ 1.x/2.x, and that it supported long filenames.

So my first question is: where I can get a copy (disk image) of the OS/A+ v.4.1 system disk? Does anyone have it? Surely the purpose is to make a research on the filesystem structure. Or, if there is such a description somewhere already, an URL to the description, or a copy of it, would be welcome. Or, if neither OS/A+ nor the description exist anymore, I am looking for any information about it anyways (I already know that the long filenames were up to 30 characters).

Also, I am looking for an authoritative information about the DOS XE filesystem format. I think I analyzed most of it correctly, but there is some uncertainty yet about a few bytes of the bootsector and VTOC. So any info would be welcome or alternatively a contact to the DOS XE author, who supposedly is Bill Wilkinson of OSS.

Thanks

Edited by drac030

Allas: yes!! That's the OS/A+ 4.1, it seems :) Thanks A LOT.

As about the translation of the Wiki: there is more than 1400 pages. A lot of work, so I don't think that it is a possible task (due to shortage of the so called manpower at our side). Possibly a policy could perhaps be agreed on having an English subpage for each article, or a separate English wiki, or whatever. I think the hostmaster wouldn't oppose to setup another en.atariki, but I don't know for sure. Everything is a question of agreement... if there's an interest.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1

Hello

I wrote several articles to the Atariki (our Atari wiki, http://atariki.krap.pl) about Atari 8-bit filesystems, and I was pretty sure that all of them are covered, when I came across an information that OSS OS/A+ 4.1 had proprietary filesystem format, incompatible with the one used by OS/A+ 1.x/2.x, and that it supported long filenames.

So my first question is: where I can get a copy (disk image) of the OS/A+ v.4.1 system disk? Does anyone have it? Surely the purpose is to make a research on the filesystem structure. Or, if there is such a description somewhere already, an URL to the description, or a copy of it, would be welcome. Or, if neither OS/A+ nor the description exist anymore, I am looking for any information about it anyways (I already know that the long filenames were up to 30 characters).

Also, I am looking for an authoritative information about the DOS XE filesystem format. I think I analyzed most of it correctly, but there is some uncertainty yet about a few bytes of the bootsector and VTOC. So any info would be welcome or alternatively a contact to the DOS XE author, who supposedly is Bill Wilkinson of OSS.

Thanks

I have posted information on OS/A+ (Version 2 and Version 4) in the ABBUC Programmers Wiki

http://www.strotmann.de/twiki/bin/view/APG/DosVersions

Carsten

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I remember to read somewhere about it (in en.wiki, perhaps), that the OS/A+ was initially named CP/A, but a visit of a CP/M lawyer convinced the OSS to change the product name.

I can't connect to the site, unfortunately.

Hmm, I have no problems on that side. But I can send you the PDF Documents by E-Mail if you like.

Carsten

This is odd. I tried yesterday and today several times, and the only thing I was getting was timeout. But now it works. :>

The CP/A document is very interesting indeed. The OS design looks hm... familiar to me, but I have no clue on how it relates to the standard Apple II OS.

This is odd. I tried yesterday and today several times, and the only thing I was getting was timeout. But now it works. :>

The CP/A document is very interesting indeed. The OS design looks hm... familiar to me, but I have no clue on how it relates to the standard Apple II OS.

It seems to me

OS/A+ 2.x and CP/A are based on the Atari DOS 2.0s FMS code

OS/A+ 4.x und Apple DOS 3.x are based on Apple DOS 3.

So OS/A+ 4.x is Apple DOS for Atari

CP/A is Atari DOS for Apple

Carsten

• Like 1

• 10 years later...

Sort of... I have OSS CP/A Atari Version 1.0 .... for the Atari itself....

These made working among the two machines a little bit easier..

off the top of my head common between the two were...

OSS BASIC

OSS EASMD

OSS CP/A

Apple and Atari conversions are made easier by common tools and systems

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 4 weeks later...

mmmm... Wikipedia in polish... its very interesting. Are there plans to translate to english some day? Its a pity the potential of a great article database cant be read and helped for english speakers.

Well, im noy sure with this, but maybe that is you are finding.

attachicon.gifattachment

this does not work with APE and the 130XE, using XF551, US doubler 1050, or happy drive.... 721 sectors double density.... prosystem tells you to it can't process it either...

Hi there, Carsten.

Hi there, Bros. :)

Please help me with your Action! windowing system library.

It's very interesting but it concerns windows.obj file which I can not find everywhere.

Where can I read about, where can I found something etc.

My idea is to write windowing for PL65. I really love it.

Anyway every lang must be full of libs IMHO.

Even Interlisp/65.

Recently I've wrote LISP program that can do DIR function.

(It's own DIR is only for internal purposes :( Too sad!)

I don't won't to publish it, because of obvious problem: LISP treats the spaces as delimiters and output is too curly but still readable.

And the process of wrighting aligning program is twice or more longer that the program itself.

Thanks in advance,

Good old Atarians!

Zhenya (ez)