IGNORED

Atari Times Updates!

Hello all! Just wanted to drop a note about the revamped Atari Times website! It's all database driven now which means it's a lot easier to manage, customize, and update!

Here are just a few of the new features (the rest can be found here.):

• Probably the biggest additions include the ability for Visitors to easily add scores and comments to articles and/or games. You can score practically every Atari game and these scores go into the database with means that the "Game Rankings" page is now calculated on the fly. So if you add a score, it will immediately be figured into the average score and the game will be ranked accordingly!

• The "Article Archive" page now displays all articles posted for each year, starting with 1996! So it's easier to find what was posted in what year. (And it all looks consistent for once!)

• The System section pages (Jaguar, Lynx, 2600, etc.) automatically update themselves.

• The "Reviews" page shows the last 20 reviews. Or you can see the last 20 reviews for any system.

• All articles have DATES on them now, so you know when it was posted! (Sounds like a small thing, but I hadn't been keeping track.)

• An entirely new system for article submissions!

• Unfortunately, any links to the old .html files won't work anymore. But the 404 error goes straight to our new search form!

• A new forum which allowed me to ditch the old Proboards forum. Joining the forum opens the doors to some exclusive content such as downloadable Atari Times books!

Anyway, stop by the main site and add some scores and comments! :)

Edited by Gregory DG

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you care or not, but the layout is hosed in Safari... the main body appears BELOW the left side bar rather than beside it.

(BTW the HTML is messed up too -- I see two <body> tags and there's a bunch of stuff after the </html> tag. But I don't know any browser that would actually balk at that, even though they should.)

Edited by Room 34

I went looking for the 2600 to arcade screen comparison article yesterday or the day before and I couldn't find it - is it still there?

Sort of... I need to recode it. I want it to automatically update itself, but I haven't figured out how I'm going to do it. Yet. The old page is now Here. But it's not permanent.

Don't know if you care or not, but the layout is hosed in Safari... the main body appears BELOW the left side bar rather than beside it.

(BTW the HTML is messed up too -- I see two <body> tags and there's a bunch of stuff after the </html> tag. But I don't know any browser that would actually balk at that, even though they should.)

Thanks for the report. I've only tested it in IE, Mozilla, Seamonkey, and Firefox. Maybe you could post a screenshot so I know what it looks like in Safari?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think it's fixed. I don't have a Mac or Safari to test it with, but Thomas Jentzsch was having the same problem in Opera, so I was able to install that on my Windows box and fix it. (At least it works with Opera now.)

Let me know if it works with Safari too. Thanks! :)

• 6 months later...

Hey all,

I decided to change the design of The Atari Times to a cleaner more professional looking job. Got rid of all the shadowing which was a pain with all the tables and such.

Anyway, it's still a work-on-progress so if you see any bugs, let me know!

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, I thought I'd revive this thread and use it for my (probably weekly) TAT updates. This week we're featuring a full review of Dragonstomper.

What's everyone's feelings on this game? I haven't spent much time with it myself. I'm more of a shooting everything that moves type of player. :D

I was wondering where my 1st Interview with HSW went as I am unable to locate it since your change to the site. The old links I had also do not work anymore. Will it be reincluded in The Atari Times or is it delegated to E.T.'s Pit?

I haven't deleted anything... I don't remember you sending a HSW interview. The only one I have is by Brendan Onfrichuk.

Been a busy day so I just got the latest article posted. And it's a doozy. Or at least the number is.

The 600th article on TAT is:

A review of Xybots arcade!

Probably one of the coolest and accurate games ported to the Lynx. Who remembers actually playing with the twisty joystick in the arcade? Wasn't that the coolest control ever?