IGNORED

7800 Pac-Man collection here!

PacManPlus

Hey Trebor:

Thanks for the input!

Yes, I did change the colors of the maze (and monsters) to more closely match the Arcade. For example, the first maze in the arcade has *absolutely no pink* anywhere in it. It is a red border with a tan/peach(?) interior (see pictures of MAME capture). It bothered me that they made everything shades of pink in the original release instead of at least trying to get close to the arcade colors. (Especially Blinky, which they made 'Hot Pink' instead of Red). (BTW, the placement of the energizers on the first maze was incorrect as well. :ponder: For someone who supposedly programmed the Arcade version, they sure got quite a few things wrong)

As far as the monsters, I tred to get them as close as possible to the arcade but I think there may still be some issue with the palette as far as Inky goes. When I play it on the real thing, he does seem more blue than green (although that might just be my TV):

Hope this helps! :)

post-1787-1163595671.png

post-1787-1163595682_thumb.png

post-1787-1163595689.png

Edited by PacManPlus

Yes, I did change the colors of the maze (and monsters) to more closely match the Arcade. For example, the first maze in the arcade has *absolutely no pink* anywhere in it. It is a red border with a tan/peach(?) interior (see pictures of MAME capture). It bothered me that they made everything shades of pink in the original release instead of at least trying to get close to the arcade colors. (Especially Blinky, which they made 'Hot Pink' instead of Red). (BTW, the placement of the energizers on the first maze was incorrect as well. :ponder: For someone who supposedly programmed the Arcade version, they sure got quite a few things wrong)

As far as the monsters, I tred to get them as close as possible to the arcade but I think there may still be some issue with the palette as far as Inky goes. When I play it on the real thing, he does seem more blue than green (although that might just be my TV):

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the response PacManPlus! I definitely see the change for the better with everything, except Inky. Is it possible to revert back to the original color/hue of Inky as set in the original Ms. Pac-Man released for the 7800? Everything else looks indeed closer to the Arcade version, thanks to your changes :)

Moreover, not just the colors/hues and maze changes make this "hack" (I still have a hard time describing the work you've done as such), closer to the arcade, additionally, thank you as well for incorporating all the different sprite modifications too! Excellent work.

-Trebor

Hey Trebor:

I just looked again at the screen captures from the updated palette (from three posts ago), and IMHO I think Inky is too 'light' there. If you see the MAME screen cap that I did in the post above, I actually think the updated one is closer (especially when playing it on the real thing). I still have a feeling that palette is not 100% yet (maybe 95%) ;) ... But *definately* much closer than it was before. :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

There is going to be a manual, but unfortunately no box. It just comes out to be too cost prohibitive and time consuming. :(

Thanks again for the compliments! :)

Bob

Is there anyway I can still get a box for my self? How much is to make one box?

Hi Atariboy

Yes,there is a way to get the boxes.Ask Marc.I own this 2 boxes now.Marc made them for me.

They look really great and are worth its money.

greetings Walter

Hey Trebor:

I just looked again at the screen captures from the updated palette (from three posts ago), and IMHO I think Inky is too 'light' there. If you see the MAME screen cap that I did in the post above, I actually think the updated one is closer (especially when playing it on the real thing). I still have a feeling that palette is not 100% yet (maybe 95%) ;) ... But *definately* much closer than it was before. :)

Bob

Hi Bob,

Again, thanks for the continued reponse(s). I respect your decision. :D

-Trebor

Hey Trebor:

Bob

Hey I just got the game today and it played great. BTW there's one thing that bugs me is in the beginning Title of Ms. Pac-Man was there flashing dots goes around the created? The one I have dont or thats just me?

Yes,there is a way to get the boxes.Ask Marc.I own this 2 boxes now.Marc made them for me. They look really great and are worth its money.

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but who is this 'Marc' fellow, and does he take special custom requests?

EDIT: Okay, we're talking about Marc Oberhäuser. Should have checked before asking. :D So, Atariboy2600 and Marc, are you up for a special project? Nothing difficult, but it's a project I've been thinking about for months now. PM me for details, please. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

Hey I just got the game today and it played great. BTW there's one thing that bugs me is in the beginning Title of Ms. Pac-Man was there flashing dots goes around the created? The one I have dont or thats just me?

Hey man:

That was one of the two things I had to sacrifice to get this to work right. (I had to use the 'flashing dots' characters of the marquee for the 'double line' around the outside of the maze). The other thing was the color of the first maze in Ultra Pac-Man (Blue instead of Pink like the arcade).

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Just noticed something after level 128 (hey, you never know, someone may reach it!) Strange things start to happen like the speed varying greatly from level to level, the fruit becoming worth (something like) 123,238 points, etc. I almost left it in, as a bonus for making it that far into the game - but then I decided to fix it so here it is.

(Al, it's the same one I gave you) :)

Bob

PACCOLL.ZIP

Hi Bob,

The palette discussed here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1179119

Is what will be used in the next version of MESS. Yes, it's that good :)

It appears the current value of Inky is falling somewhere in the range of rows B0 or C0.

Can you try changing Inky to row A0, say anywhere between 0xA0 thru 8xA0 (Probably most ideal 4xA0 thru 8xA0), and see how it looks on an actual TV? I bet it will be closer to Arcade accurate colors ;)

See the color palette chart here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=64635

I can definitely understand your point in the earlier post about the other color option (Original color) being too light and what you're currently using being darker and closer to the arcade color.

However, using a value in the range indicated above [0xA0 thru 9xA0], you'll achieve closer to "Arcade accurate" results :D

-Trebor

Edited by Trebor

Hey Trebor:

Thanks again for your input.

I am using $BB for Inky's Color. (Aqua)

As per your suggestion, I did a test with $A5. As you can see from the pictures, Inky is much too blue on the real hardware.

IMHO, I believe I had found the closest color match to the arcade when choosing $BB, so I think am pretty much going to keep it.

Thanks for the input, though! :)

Bob

EDIT: The left picture is $A5, the right one is $BB

(sorry for the blurry pics)

post-1787-1164151569_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1164151586_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

Hey Trebor:

Thanks again for your input.

I am using $BB for Inky's Color. (Aqua)

As per your suggestion, I did a test with $A5. As you can see from the pictures, Inky is much too blue on the real hardware.

IMHO, I believe I had found the closest color match to the arcade when choosing $BB, so I think am pretty much going to keep it.

Thanks for the input, though! :)

Bob

EDIT: The left picture is $A5, the right one is $BB

(sorry for the blurry pics)

Wow. Thanks for your patience and testing this for me. I really appreciate your generosity and kindness. It was extra considerate of you to even post pictures for me, thanks again!

Sooo...although I still believe the color choice is too green (You wouldn't mind trying $AB would you...lol. Apparently, the palette colors are much more blue [Or sometimes called cooler/cool temp], on your actual TV)...where do I buy this work of art? :cool:

With box/without box, manual/no manual...I'll take it! :love:

Even if this was the worst hack I have ever seen (And thankfully it is one of the *best* instead), I would purchase this just for the sake of all the respect, patience and professionalism you have shown - Not just in this thread or/and just to me, but all your post to everyone.

Not to mention the support for the community - This is really fantastic work.

Thanks Again, Bob! You da man!

• 3 weeks later...

Oops - just saw your post Trebor - Thanks!

The game should be available within the next day or two; keep you eyes open! :D

Thanks, everyone

Bob

I've been keeping an eye on this topic and its good to see the project is nearing completion. I bought 3 games off you earlier this year and love everyone of them. Just let us know when you'll be taking orders because your work is first rate.

:cool:

Atariboy 2600-those scans are pretty nice dude. It makes the games even more exciting when you see such great game art to compliment a great game compilation.

Edited by Angelus

• 9 years later...

Hope you all don't mind me resurrecting an almost 10-year dormant thread, but I wanted to post my video review (and thanks to Bob) for Pac-Man Collection.

Man, it doesn't seem like it's been that long since this was completed, does it!?

You are a brave man to be using the painline sticks :skull:

• Like 1