IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 27: Miner 2049er

Ze_ro

Miner 2049er Voll II gets easier on the third time through. If you can clear six boards without dying, you can run the game forever.

EDIT: I reached 4015 a little bit ago, but I was so angry with the game's controls that I forgot to take a screenshot. I'm really shooting for, oh, 7,000 or so, but after a while the controls just stop working. I lost all three lives in that game due to one of two things:

I hit jump and moved at the same time, in order to jump a mutant. Twice Bob jumped straight up, and the third time he took a step and died. This happened even though I repeated the exact same control sequence I use to jump dozens of mutants. It seems the controls just glitch out every once in a while and you die. After looking at Teach's final screenshot, I think this is what lost his/her final life, too. After all, that's the exact same screen the game uses for level 3.

The controls are complete bull in this version of Miner 2049er. I'll take an analog stick any day for this game. By the way, my monster run on the Apple II where I completed 26 levels, that was done with an analog stick.

Edited by shadow460

JacobZu7zu7 -

Do you know that Stella can take screenshots without having to blank ot the rest of your screen like that? By default hitting F12 saves an image.

Thank you for explaining that. :)

Another question, how do I paste this Image into the forum? :ponder:

New post,

I think I get it.... now that I tooled around.

:twisted:

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Yeah, I figured if the 3rd set of levels is the same as the 2nd set, I could go on all night. I can jump over the mutants with very little difficulty now, but I haven't been able to master the top sections of the 2nd cannon stage yet. :x

I might try again today, but fantasy football takes precedence on Sundays! :)

BTW shadow, I'm a he. :)

I can jump over the mutants with very little difficulty now, but I haven't been able to master the top sections of the 2nd cannon stage yet. :x

That's funny!

I can clear the top sections of level 3, round 2 no problem. It's the lower two sections that are giving me trouble! :P

Oh, and I did beat your score, but didn't clear 5,000 points, which is my personal goal for this week. ;)

It's prgrammed to kill you under certain circumstances. To prevent the death pictured above, stand still, jump in the air, and lean the joystick whichever direction you want to go while you're holding the button.

BTW, Bob is invincible while jumping. It's only when he hits the ground that he can be killed by a mutant. Basically, there are three sprite positions he can have in order to die.

Standing still, legs together, that's one. Standing, legs apart is two, and the third is falling straight down with his legs apart and arms in the air.

Any other situation, even falling through the mutants while going down a mine shaft, he's totally invulnerable.

-TIPS-

here's some tips, I dunno if these have been explained yet, but here goes...

Tip #1 ... After climbing on the first platform, you cannot die from (walking) off it. if its up one floor it can be handy to just walk down if needed.

Tip #2 ... If you run and jump (over and over) across a straight floor, it saves you time, like on the first level for example.

Tip #3 ... If your about to make a jump, but want it be work as well as possible,

you can straighten your man by letting go of the control, and use the jump button only.

That will fix your man's knees.. and enables a perfect jump.

(just make sure you don't hit left or right before hitting the button, but thats mostly common sense)

---------

Top score just keeps going up...gotta figure out how to jump those mineshafts on the second round of the cannon. the mutants walk a much smaller area...making timing very critical.

I like the idea of walking up to one and then jumping away since Bob's invulerable while in the air. That is a very far cry from the original game, though.

post-7210-1162279332_thumb.png

It's prgrammed to kill you under certain circumstances. To prevent the death pictured above, stand still, jump in the air, and lean the joystick whichever direction you want to go while you're holding the button.

The death in the pic I posted wasn't one of the mysterious ones that had me frustrated. ;)

Oh man...now I gotta try to beat your score, shadow...and here I thought I was done with this game. :twisted:

I see a long night ahead of me. Just once, I want to have the top score in the HSC. ;) I guess I better learn to master the top levels on the 2nd cannon.

Just so you know, you'll have to make it in the 5K range or higher to have a chance at first this week ;)

Oh man...now I gotta try to beat your score, shadow...and here I thought I was done with this game. :twisted:

I see a long night ahead of me. Just once, I want to have the top score in the HSC. ;) I guess I better learn to master the top levels on the 2nd cannon.

Just so you know, you'll have to make it in the 5K range or higher to have a chance at first this week ;)

Once that sixth board is cleared, that won't be a problem. I'm gonna roll the score sometime, you just hide and watch. MAybe not this week, but I'll do it.

Great score, 5th Ghost!

Well, I just cracked level 3.

post-6203-1162421825_thumb.jpg

That's good enough for me.

The responses of this Bounty Bob are way too slow.

My thoughts are light years ahead of his movements.

Let's leave these mines and find some daylight again.

I have the feeling it's the year 2049 indeed...

BTW: here's a nice Bounty Bob site:

http://www.classicgaming.com/miner2049er/

And here's a screenshot of the infamous 'quicksand' bug:

post-6203-1162424240_thumb.jpg

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Thanks, RH. I looked through that site.

lol, I've been playing the latest version for a couple weeks now. Though it's only monochrome, the DMG cart is close to, if not the, best version of the game IMO.

There are different types of mutants, and they strut across the platforms with an attitude. They'll turn and look directly at you, too, usually baring some kind of teeth.

I'm surprised Mindscape took the time to mess with such an old title, but I feel like it crossed the generation gap very well. I guess you could say Miner 2049er went from the Atari 8 bit computers all the way to the GameBoy Advance SP. They did change the music a little. The music on the two versions I've played this week is a world apart.