IGNORED

Are there any classic Arcades left in the world? Please show me pics!

Crazy Climber

Hey everyone,

I loved the Arcade scene growing up and I was just wondering if there is any big (or any at all for that matter) classic Arcade's left in the United States or the rest of the world. I'm not talking about game room's or museums, I mean an actual classic style arcade that I could bring a sack of quarters to and go completly nuts playing all the classic's I love :lust: If any one knows of any in there area and could maybe post some pics that would be totally cool. All I know is that I haven't seen anything but Ms. Pac, Golden Tee, Buck Hunter and the occasional pinball machine in my area for like almost 20 years, sure theres an arcade downtown with a few sit down racers that cost about 2 bucks to play for a minute but an actual arcade like the old days would just amaze me (if any exsist) Let me know if you guys know any or is the arcade just a thing of the past? Thanks man :)

Edited by Crazy Climber

Honestly near me in PA in the immediate area near Philly there is none I have been to Dave and Busters in Philly they suck more of the same racing and shooting games. I know TNT Amusements isn’t that far good drive from me but not a real arcade I know the guy has tons of stuff still haven’t been there though. The only place I know of in PA is this place http://www.pinball-parlour.com/ apparently the guy has his collection and charges like $6 for an hour to $15 for a day great deal since I could burn through more than $15 in an hour but not the type of place were you just drop quarters in the game. Honestly I would love to open my own place like that guy did with my personal collection and just make every game 1 quarter like the good old days. Oh there is one place near the NJ shore that I heard had a lot of stuff but the name escapes me at this late hour of the night. I just got back at 12am and left at 4pm this afternoon on a road trip to pick up a Marble Madness game it has a chip problem but I will be posting that tomorrow or whenever I get a chance to get my hands into the game. In the mean time try this it's an arcade search engine for a lot arcades in the US but some stuff may not be up to date. http://arcadelocations.classicgaming.games...te=Pennsylvania You could probably find that place in NJ I was talking about on this web page.

Honestly near me in PA in the immediate area near Philly there is none I have been to Dave and Busters in Philly they suck more of the same racing and shooting games. I know TNT Amusements isn’t that far good drive from me but not a real arcade I know the guy has tons of stuff still haven’t been there though. The only place I know of in PA is this place http://www.pinball-parlour.com/ apparently the guy has his collection and charges like $6 for an hour to $15 for a day great deal since I could burn through more than $15 in an hour but not the type of place were you just drop quarters in the game. Honestly I would love to open my own place like that guy did with my personal collection and just make every game 1 quarter like the good old days. Oh there is one place near the NJ shore that I heard had a lot of stuff but the name escapes me at this late hour of the night. I just got back at 12am and left at 4pm this afternoon on a road trip to pick up a Marble Madness game it has a chip problem but I will be posting that tomorrow or whenever I get a chance to get my hands into the game. In the mean time try this it's an arcade search engine for a lot arcades in the US but some stuff may not be up to date. http://arcadelocations.classicgaming.games...te=Pennsylvania You could probably find that place in NJ I was talking about on this web page.

Have you been to Hershey Park lately? They have at least 30 classic machines.. most in very good condition.. All of them are lined up together - it's beautiful!

www.marvin3m.com has a good, rotating selection of classics mixed in with neo-classics and modern games and several pinballs. It's probably not economically feasible to have only classic games since todays kids wouldn't like them.

Cedar Point had a bunch of classics. I don't know if they still do though. My brother went there a few years ago and said they had an awesome arcade filled with classic sitdowns like Red Baron(vector) and Sinistar, Star Wars; all for a quarter.

games1.jpg

seats.jpg

Edited by Bill Brasky

Cedar Point still has a bunch including some old pinball.

2 Atari Hercules machines in fair condition.

The Hercules, their the giant pinball games right? Down in Ocean City NJ one of the small arcades had or has one. One fall after the season was over me and some friends went down to the boardwalk for the day and stopped in there. The guy had old classic game all against the wall looked like he was cleaning house with everything had Asteroids and a bunch of other neat stuff. So I asked the guy if he was selling any of it he was like no I'm going to restore everything and put it up and then I saw the huge pinball game all parted out on the floor. He like were going to restore it and put it back up again so everyone could play it again. Needless to say like 2 years later he never fixed any of it and nothing classic is in his arcade they guy must have sold the stuff or put it back in storage that really burns me up when people do that.

Well there are two large arcades in San Francisco in the Fisherman's Warf tourist trap area. One is

ifull of new machines and the ticket games. In their small vintage section there was a Tron I recall as the highlite. The

better arcade bills itself as a kind of mechanical museum. Its an amazing place to check out, its full of old mechanical

games, the sort you'd be lucky to see anywhere else. There is also a large section of 80s video games probably 20 or

so games: Tempest, Robotron and Star Wars are a few that I tried out. All the games there are 25 cents.

Not many pics but check out:

http://www.museemechanique.org/

Edited by tyranthraxus

• 6 months later...

Here in MA we have a few, so i feel lucky. One i frequent when i am nearby is near downtown Salem , MA at Salem Willows. A great spot to spend a day/night hanging out like the old days with your friends in a noisy arcade playing games. It's a small seaside amusement center with two decent sized arcades, eateries, small rides, beach, and the best damn popcorn on the planet!

The arcades are where all the action is though. One building contains all the ticket vending machine, and "semi-gambling" games. Mostly the kind of kiddie skill games and nolvelties you would find at your local Chuck E. Cheese's in some sense, but they also have some cool surrpises.

The other building next door has the bulk of the video games. It's packed with all the classics, and a whole wall full of pinball too ( mostly 90's models). There is a nice mix of both cutting edge new stuff to keep the pre teens entertained, as well as the real retro legends to keep us "ol' timers" grinning from ear to ear.

The best part is they are all original cabinets and games...no recreations of "re-releases". This is the REAL DEAL folks.....and the price reflects that: All classics still cost only a quarter!

Classic games there i have seen there: Space Invaders, Asteroids, Centipede, Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Galaxian, Galaga, Bowling, Beer Tap, and more that slip my mind at the moment.

They also have a lot of classic 90's games like Simpsons, TMNT's, Area 51, Terminator 2, Mortal Combat, etc.

GREAT place to spend the day if you are a into classic gaming!

Edited by * Alternative Reality *

Marvins Mechanical Museum in Detroit is worth a visit. He has some of the weirdest and coolest machines out there. Don't expect a lot of classic arcade games, but there is plenty to keep your interest.

Cedar Point used to have a ton of classics, but as the last couple years are indicating, they are neglecting to maintain the older machines, and some that were there in years past are now gone. They do have some nice older pinball machines, when they are working.

DisneyQuest has some great looking cabinets, but after we tallied all the problems, most of the classics had monitor, joystick, or other issues which did affect the enjoyment.

Haven't been in there in a couple of years, but this is just miles from my house in Phoenix, AZ. "With over 18,000 square feet of arcades and more than 300 games..."

http://www.castlesncoasters.com/arcade.html

As I recall, the machines only take tokens. :(

But, they've got roller coasters, miniature golf and other stuff: a mini amusment park, essentially.

I have the sudden urge to go play some pinball. Maybe I'll just go fire up my little old Roy Clark cocktail format machine.

I delivered a Battlezone to Peter's arcade years ago. He had a beautiful Space War and Haunted House that I will never forget. Seems he really finished things off. A local radio station was covering that game room about a year ago. Amazing work.

As for classic arcades you can go and play, The Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas is tops. They have fully restored pins out the wazoo and a good handful of arcades (Pac, Berzerk, Scramble, Football, Track and Field, Asteroids, Centipede). They have some of the best EM driving games too. Those are a blast to play. Love the moving parts, lights, etc. Always fun, IMO. Pinballmuseum.org is the website. They have a PS2 and a PSP game based on some of their games. Fun game, too.

Here is a shot of one row of games. I don't have a great camera phone but it gives you an idea. There are 5 rows like that, 200 pins total.

C

post-571-1178629851_thumb.jpg

Here in Utah, they have a chain of arcades called "Nickelcade". They charge you a few dollars at the door, and then all of the machines take nickels instead of quarters. They also have a few machines that play for free just by pressing the start button. It's a shame they don't seem to have a decent web site. Here's a review: http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3722715938

I think kids can enjoy the classics. There is a Qix/Space-Invaders machine at my local Chuck e Cheese. It's been over a decade since kids in any numbers were going out to the arcades to play the latest fighting games. The problem is people in general normally don't go out of their way to go to an arcade, period. Arcade machines are something you normally have as a side-activity in a restaurant, a laundromat, bowling alley. The few dedicated arcades left seem to be relegated to tourist areas, where people are away from their home-bound entertainment and are making a point to be entertained out of the home.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wal-Marts in the Dallas area used to have mini-games rooms a few years back with about six or seven cabs. Most have since undergone a remodeling, so they dumped 'em in favor of more retail space, I assume. They kept the Crane games, a cab or two, and the gumball machines, but the stuck those out where you first walk into the store.

Some of the malls still have Tilts, and there's at least one Malibu Speedzone and a few Putt-Putt Golf & Games around still.

There was big arcade on the basement floor of the West End Marketplace, downtown, but someone recenlty told me it was closed.