IGNORED

Check out my basement Gameroom-Updated 4/8 (page 2 post #47)

Crazy Climber

CHECK OUT THE UPDATES AS WELL ON PAGE 2 POST #47 - THANKS

Well it still needs a little polishing up here and there it's almost done. My dream I've had since the 80's of having my own arcade in my basement has come true. I took a second job on this summer to pay for it (not to mention my 2600 collecting habits) but it was worth it. The finished area of the room only measure's around 25' by 11' so I had to use every inch of space to fit everything I wanted. Here's some pics of the game area.

post-9102-1162158536_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1162158624_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1162158712_thumb.jpg

Here's the bar area. It used to be a large closet and a shelving area but I tore that down. I used the scrap wood that was left over to build this bar.

post-9102-1162159408_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1162159492_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1162159595_thumb.jpg

The 2 games behind the bar are a Rally-X original dedicated and a Multi-cade 48 in 1 built from an original Ms. Pac (theres a thread around here somewhere about that project) The Rally-X I have almost sold quite a few times but I'm kind of glad I didn't. I think it looks good back there and it's nice to have an original dedicated classic, kind of like a time machine if you ask me.

post-9102-1162159868_thumb.jpg

Over on the other side I have the proposed expansion area. All I need is the approval of the GF and it will start construction. I currently have a Space Invaders cocktail, UMK 3 and Eagle shot Golf taking the majority of the room up but I might just line up 5 games or so on each side of the wall, who knows?

post-9102-1162160132_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1162160209_thumb.jpg

The room is about 10' wide and 8' deep with one wall going back about 12' due to a hallway type area (by the Space Invaders table) any ideas for the expansion area are totally welcome. I'm not quite sure what to do with it, maybe just a TV and consoles or an aquarium? Let me know what you guys think of everything, Thanks man :)

Edited by Crazy Climber

If you decide to get an aquarium be sure to place it far from your games I have had a few over the years and they do 2 things add humidity to the air and sometimes the water filters can splash a little water about. The lid slows most of this stuff down but water and game electronics can be a bad combination. Oh and suggestions you may want to make a TV area and have some shelves to display your 2600 collection and other video game systems.

Edited by TheBman80

Fantastic looking rooom! I love that wood wall look in an arcade. It is a very well thought out collection and well set up. The right look is not one with tons of room around the games. Too tight and its cramped. Too big and its lost. That is the right combo for looks and fun. Well done :) You should be very proud.

Now to call up everybody you know for a party so they can come drool :)......

Cheers,

C

Very nicely done...

p.s. if you ever do want to get rid of that rally-x put me on the list for an offer!

I don't have the room in my current house for an arcade room (I live in duplex no basement). My 4 arcade games are in the small garage. The wife hasn't been able to park in the garage since I showed up :)

Damn!!! I'm definitely impressed. I have to ask... are you married? My wife is very understanding, but no way am I getting that many arcade games through my door :D !!!

Not married but me and my girlfriend own the house together and will be married soon. She does say I buy way to many games though but she hasn't got on my case too bad yet. I would say my Atari 2600 collecting bothers her a lot more but I know she will never get in to collecting, the gameroom she can actually use so that helps. I don't think she's going for the "expansion" idea though, especially the idea where I cram about 8 or 10 more games in the side room. :D

Fantastic looking rooom! I love that wood wall look in an arcade. It is a very well thought out collection and well set up. The right look is not one with tons of room around the games. Too tight and its cramped. Too big and its lost. That is the right combo for looks and fun. Well done :) You should be very proud.

Now to call up everybody you know for a party so they can come drool :)......

Cheers,

C

Hey Thanks for the feedback man :)

The games did take a little trial and error, I had more than a few impulse buys (E SWAT, High Impact Football, Donkey Kong Jr., etc..)probably around ten or so that I ended up re selling. I think this should be a good mix though. It's too bad I couldn't fit a Capcom Bowling anywhere though, I think that would have rounded it out.

That is some fun stuff! I have to note-- when I first saw your rooms far-away picture I was going to say "Oh, my god... that's AWESOME!!!," but then I zoomed in and saw that you have mostly sports games-- which I'm just not that into. BUT (and this is a HUGE BUT)-- you set me down next to the Ms. Pac-Man and instamatic booze-dispenser and we've got a party goin' on! Throw some billiards into the mix and we've got a GOOD party! (Donkey Kong Jr. would be nice right next to the Ms.)

If you're this into collecting, maybe you could build (or outsource) one of those cabinets that looks old-school-arcade and plays your 2600. And NES. That would be pretty rad.

I used to have a stand-up "Zig-Zag" (the Dig-Dug generic identical.) I played it for a year and then gave it to my sister in her first semester at college. We put it in her dorms lounge (without any permission) and let it sit there, generating quarters, for three years- at which point it showed up 'missing' after summer break. No matter, she got 3X's the money I paid for it over those first three years! (Paid for laundry.) My friend memorized the sequencing and "flipped" it after 999,999, 990... the game just shut down and started running it's start-up codes- like it had just been plugged in.

I have one request: Moon Patrol. Oh, and Galaga. And Bump N' Jump. O.K., so that's 3 requests! Get those... Gladiator, TRON, Qix, and a sit-down Empire Strikes Back Game w/ x-wing controller and it's 1984 again (ONLY THIS TIME WE'RE COOL!)

(Or, at least somewhat cool.) (or... oh, who am I kidding...???-- AT LEAST WE"LL HAVE GREAT GAMES!!!)

Keep Driving At Night!

-Night Driver

p.s. if you ever do want to get rid of that rally-x put me on the list for an offer!

I actually posted it for sale here a few times at $200 or best offer. I even offered it at $150 to a few people and the last time I had a party I had no takers at $100!! After that I decided to keep it, dedicated machines are cool looking anyways:cool:

If I do sell it some day I'll contact you.

Awseome - :D I'm amazed you got all that in a 25 x 11 room. That CANNOT include the pool table right? I put an tournament 8 footer in a 24x14 room and there's little room for any cabs.

Great stuff again! :cool:

Yes!! Eight foot Pool table included but it's actually 28' by 11' I accidently put 25'. It took a few try's to get everything to fit right though :)

That is some fun stuff! I have to note-- when I first saw your rooms far-away picture I was going to say "Oh, my god... that's AWESOME!!!," but then I zoomed in and saw that you have mostly sports games-- which I'm just not that into. (Donkey Kong Jr. would be nice right next to the Ms.)

I like sports games but I like a lot of other style's of games also. Sports games are great party games, especially the 3 and 4 player cabs. I started to go for the classics and bought an original pac, DK jr., rally x, and then I realized I will not have the space for everything I want so I went with the MultiCab. The Ms. Pac pictured is actually a 48 in 1 multi Jamma board, heres the link

http://www.lizardlickamusements.com/pages/order_form.shtml

It's got a lot of good ones on it, I would still like some vector games though....that would be sweet :cool:

Asteroids Deluxe is one kick ass vector game only vector I have working I have a Battle Zone as well haven’t had the time to resurrect the monitor yet. I would highly recommend Asteroids Deluxe It takes some getting use to the controls can be a pain but its hours of fun especially after a few beers. :D

Asteroids Deluxe is one kick ass vector game only vector I have working I have a Battle Zone as well haven’t had the time to resurrect the monitor yet. I would highly recommend Asteroids Deluxe It takes some getting use to the controls can be a pain but its hours of fun especially after a few beers. :D

If I can get the expansion idea to pass the GAF then I could easily fit 5 or 6 more games down there, Asteroids Deluxe sounds good to me, hopefully it will pass. :)

Your gameroom additions are very nice :) I think that is the right kind of place for socializing. You have created an environment for human interaction. Funny enough, that is what Nolan Bushnell always saw games as being able to do. We are wackos who make it solitary.

Good for you. Looks like the flow worked well with those folks. Is that you with the 12 ball? Shouldn't it be the 8 ball? :)

C

Your gameroom additions are very nice :) I think that is the right kind of place for socializing. You have created an environment for human interaction. Funny enough, that is what Nolan Bushnell always saw games as being able to do. We are wackos who make it solitary.

Good for you. Looks like the flow worked well with those folks. Is that you with the 12 ball? Shouldn't it be the 8 ball? :)

C

Thanks man, thats exactly the enviroment I was going for. Now if I could just find a place for the dedicated Capcom Bowling thats for sale in my area for only $200 It would have all my favorite games...maybe I could knock out a wall :ponder: BTW - that's my buddy with the 12 ball...I have no idea why he chose that one?

I'm actually behind the camera in all the pics except one in the smoking lounge - AKA - The Garage

post-9102-1163012581_thumb.jpg

I'm 3rd from the right with a cigg in my mouth....funny thing is I don't even smoke, I quit about ten years ago. Seems like a twelve pack makes me forget that and I'll fire one up now and then....whoops :)

I'm impressed that you are a fellow Jim Beam drinker.........We are a dying breed.

You got that right man, I love the stuff :lust: me and two of my friends are the only ones that will touch it at my party's. Everybody else says NO WAY or asks for Jack Daniels.......I don't get what the big deal about JD is, if you ask me Beam tastes much better and is about half the price.