Photo

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

123 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game? (279 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

1. Never. (10 votes [3.60%])

Percentage of vote: 3.60%

2. On occasion. (190 votes [68.35%])

Percentage of vote: 68.35%

3. All the time. (42 votes [15.11%])

Percentage of vote: 15.11%

4. What's this thing called sleep you speak of? (36 votes [12.95%])

Percentage of vote: 12.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rhindle The Red OFFLINE  

Rhindle The Red

River Patroller

• 2,841 posts
  • His roar is long and loud.

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:19 PM

Did you ever find a game so engrossing that you either forgot to go to sleep or couldn't tear yourself away? It happened to me with the original Paper Mario and I can still get sucked into sessions of puzzle games that make me lose all sense of time.

How about you? If it's happened many times, which one was the worst (best) case?

#2 Zach OFFLINE  

Zach

Stargunner

• 1,620 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:20 PM

The end of Skies of Arcadia.

#3 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 5,226 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:34 PM

Hell, I've been staying up late every night for the last week playing Iron Soldier! Just one more mission to complete, and damn if it ain't a bi-otche!!

#4 Treasure-Diver OFFLINE  

Treasure-Diver

Space Invader

• 36 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:39 PM

The most hours I stayed up to play a game has to be Quake III by far. That online shooter shit is never ending obsessive fun. I've played until 8 AM or so on a few occasions.

Edited by Treasure-Diver, Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:39 PM.

#5 LarcenTyler OFFLINE  

LarcenTyler

River Patroller

• 2,431 posts
  • Atari 7800 Hunter

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:40 PM

I've had it happen to me a few times. I remember playing Civilization 2 on my PSX made me lose track of time for hours on end. If only I could get that engrossed in Civ 4.

#6 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,186 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:46 PM

Absolutely

Usually it will happen with the 'I'll just finish this level' type of thought, and then I find out the next level is the game end so while I should be going to bed, I wind up playing on anyhow. And with certain games like Civilization, the king of just one.. more.. turn.. - it can get really bad :cool:

Some games I just couldn't stop playing until I finished. Half Life 1+2 being prime examples.

And every so often, some game will completely take over the need to sleep, go to the bathroom regularly, or eat properly. The GF thought I was going to die while playing Diablo online for nearly three weeks straight. :lol:

#7 jpfalcon2003 OFFLINE  

jpfalcon2003

Stargunner

• 1,386 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:58 PM

Yea, when i first got the gamecube. My 7800 also, but i wasn't old enought to work back then.lol

#8 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 5,926 posts
  • Flickering

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:47 PM

Myst. There have been others, but that's the one I most vividly recall.

#9 AussieAtari OFFLINE  

AussieAtari

Stargunner

• 1,095 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:33 PM

The original Sim City
Doom
Medal of Honour
Max Payne

Nowadays I lose more sleep playing the "go back to sleep you little Spawn of Satan" game with my kid.

#10 madhatter667 OFFLINE  

madhatter667

Dragonstomper

• 863 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:18 PM

Resident Evil series, Silent Hill series, Legacy of Kain series... Koudelka, any myriad of other awesome game titles... add on the fact that I play World of Warcraft...and that means that I have had plenty of sleep-deprived nights.

#11 SpareHead3 OFFLINE  

SpareHead3

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:36 AM

Most recently, because of Resident Evil 4. In the day, it was hard to lose sleep with the parents enforcing bed times and all :)

#12 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

River Patroller

• 2,863 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:13 AM

A couple weeks ago, when I first played Battlefield 1918.

#13 jbanes OFFLINE  

jbanes

River Patroller

• 3,079 posts
  • Coming soon to a natural satellite near you...

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:07 AM

When I was a kid, I used to sneak out of bed at night to play Wing Commander II. The complete silence (before I had a sound card) made the experience all that much more immersive. :)

#14 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

River Patroller

• 4,712 posts

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:48 AM

I never lost sleep over 8 bit games. I didn't have my own computer until I was a junior in high school and I only had a couple games anyway. Besides, I was so busy with school activities I didn't have time. I did lose sleep programming every now and then.

In college I met up with some guys that produced software and ended up being a partner in a company that developed stuff for the Amiga. One of the guys had an Amiga dealership and we'd stay after hours and play games once in a while. In spite of owning an Amiga myself I never really played games on it much. I think Shadow of the Beast was the only one I ever bought.

Tomb Raider was probably the first game I owned myself that I lost sleep over. Since then I'd say Warcraft III and Half Life 2 are the only other's I couldn't quit playing.

#15 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,820 posts

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:16 AM

I lost some sleep playing the Marathon trilogy. Those games had one of the most engrossing storylines I've experienced.

Edited by Christophero Sly, Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:18 AM.

#16 PressureCooker2600 OFFLINE  

PressureCooker2600

Nurgle, The Pestilent One

• 6,742 posts
  • Death Metal for the Soul

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:31 PM

i lost a whole nights sleep playing Final Fight and Street Fighter II over and over at a friends house back in the day. it was a good night ;)

still one of the biggest final fight fans around....they need to make more 2D final fights
HAGGAR MUST RETURN TO METRO CITY TO KICK ASS :x

#17 DrLove0378 OFFLINE  

DrLove0378

Chopper Commander

• 231 posts

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:12 PM

Yes. Back in the day (Feb. 1995 or so,) one of my old friends had a "Just Men" sleepover, for his birthday. He had a lot of NES games, and more Genesis games than I could have ever hoped to own, at the time.

He also had SNES Mortal Kombat II. Being the immature 11-year-olds that we were, we thought it was so f***in' cool to see Kung Lao bisect his victim down the middle, with his hat. My personal favorite was/is Mileena -- sucking up the loser, and spitting out his/her bones.

Needless to say, we stayed up all night playing that, as well as countless Nintendo games. (I thought it was a real treat, as we didn't own a NES or Genesis.) And it was there that I got my first taste of "Jewel Master" (Genesis) and "Blaster Master."

Come to think of it, I haven't talked to the guy in years... I'm gonna look him up now!

#18 Lemmi OFFLINE  

Lemmi

Quadrunner

• 9,252 posts
  • Im #541

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:04 PM

Everquest - i lost just more than sleep i lost a couple of years off my life
once i was up for 42 hours straight playing after that i didnt play for a few days and it took another 4 months to stop completely

and
Warcraft 2 on the Saturn - i went to work with little or no sleep after starting this game

and going way back there was
Vanguard on the 2600 - playing late into the night on a school day with the volume turned down and a towel under the door to keep the light of the TV in

#19 dr_bob OFFLINE  

dr_bob

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 4:17 AM

a few times , worst I can remember was playing a megadrive(genesis) rpg called rings of power - I'd rented it for a few nights and ended up playing it solidly for about 48 hours.I've played it since and it wasnt even that good!.
I've had a few late nights playing WoW as well.

#20 Ross PK OFFLINE  

Ross PK

River Patroller

• 2,135 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 10:17 AM

Very very rarely. I can only remember doing it with Tokyo Highway Challenge on the Dreamcast, The Sims on the PS2, and Pro Stroke Golf on the PS2.

#21 Josh OFFLINE  

Josh

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts
  • Jive Turkey

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 1:11 PM

Two words: Enemy Territory

Edited by Josh, Wed Nov 1, 2006 1:19 PM.

#22 David Hasselhoff OFFLINE  

David Hasselhoff

Baywatcher

• 12,874 posts

Posted Wed Nov 1, 2006 11:49 PM

Sl..Slee..Sleep? Never heard of it before, what that?? I think your trying to ask if I do marathon gaming sessions and if thats the question the answer is HELL YA!!

#23 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,068 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2006 7:28 AM

Heck yes, usually when playing RPGs. Always a strange feeling when you hear birds chirping and see it getting light outside. I remember experiencing this when playing Alternate Reailty on the Atari 8-bit, although it probably happened for me as far back as the Atari 2600. :)

..Al

#24 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4*****

• 5,512 posts
  • (Bubsy Bobcat fan)

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2006 1:26 PM

Ok, let's break it down to the games of my life (and the sleep lost)...

1978-Space Invaders/Asteriods (Atari 2600)
1979/1980-Star Raiders (Atari 400)
early 80's Joust/Archon/Wizard of Wor/Wolfenstein (Atari 400)
Late 80's Cap'n Magneto (Macintosh) B/W
early 90's Arkanoid (Macintosh) B/W
Mid 90's Rescue (Star Trek game) (Macintosh) Color
Late 90's Tempest 2000, Bubsy, Doom (Atari Jaguar)
early to mid naughties ... All of the above. ;)

#25 goodwill_gamer OFFLINE  

goodwill_gamer

Chopper Commander

• 113 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2006 8:21 PM

i just remembered one. Golf for nes. seriously. only one night, but i remember staying up until like 6 in the morning playing that one.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users