IGNORED

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

• Never.
    • On occasion.
    • All the time.
    • What's this thing called sleep you speak of?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well the losing sleep days pretty much ended once I started working 12hr night shifts. But lately the closest I came were...

Guitar Heroes - I'd play this game so long I'd get dizzy when I looked away from the tv screen.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Although technically I managed to not loose any sleep over this one it sucked up so much of my free time I was neglecting everything else. I literally had to go cold turkey so I could get caught up on things. Have not touched it since.

Well the losing sleep days pretty much ended once I started working 12hr night shifts. But lately the closest I came were...

Guitar Heroes - I'd play this game so long I'd get dizzy when I looked away from the tv screen.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Although technically I managed to not loose any sleep over this one it sucked up so much of my free time I was neglecting everything else. I literally had to go cold turkey so I could get caught up on things. Have not touched it since.

Guitar Hero! Now there is the game that might me finally break down and get a PS2!

• Like 1

Guitar Hero! Now there is the game that might me finally break down and get a PS2!

GUITAR HERO 2 in only 5 more days :lust: :lust: :D

I've been consciously trying to get more sleep and exercise. I've been succeeding on both counts, and I make it a point not to start something super-engrossing right before bedtime, especially on a weeknight.

The last time this happened to me was when I snagged Master of Orion 3 new in box at the dollar store for something like $3. I hadn't followed the reviews (everyone HATES the game) or I wouldn't have bought it. I installed and patched it, started playing ... and didn't stop until 5am.

I don't play strategy games, so I didn't notice that wasn't that great a game. It obviously pushed the right buttons in me and kept me hooked. The experience scared me a little and I haven't played it since.

Part of me wants other games to have that sort of impact (that's why I keep buying them, even though I know I don't have time for them), but the other, wiser part of me says "stick to retro -- it's safer to know that you will see GAME OVER in 15 minutes or less every time."

one other time i stayed eyes glued open all night was (and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet) .....Starcraft 1..especially online. those games would last hours and i would sit there and eat my Taco Bell on one side and tell a Firebat what to do on the other.......ahhhh the memories

Tassadar...NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

oh yea...for one player.....my fav pc games (kept me up all night also) Fallout 1 & 2

i'm still waiting for a GOOD sequel (Fallout Tactics was to out of the realm of RPG and the PS2 Fallout, I don't want to even consider that part of the Fallout universe)

I heard the people that made Oblivion for the 360 are doing a new Fallout that will be exactly like Oblivion. Oblivion gameplay plus Fallout story, world, and humor equals happiness :D

but the other, wiser part of me says "stick to retro -- it's safer to know that you will see GAME OVER in 15 minutes or less every time."

EXACTLY. That's probably a big reason why i also love arcade (MAME) games.

I agree with this statement, except when it came to retro RPG's like "Return of Heracles" which could take a whole evening and into the night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

He also had SNES Mortal Kombat II. Being the immature 11-year-olds that we were, we thought it was so f***in' cool to see Kung Lao bisect his victim down the middle, with his hat.

Actually that was my favorite MKII finisher...and fairly easy to pull off :)

Yeah I lost a bit of sleep from that SNES game back when..........

• 3 years later...

Yes, Wolfenstein 3D. You can't save until you complete the floor and I'd sometimes get stuck in a maze and couldn't find my way out. I remember staying up nights in bed during the winter, shivering because the covers weren't over my arms because I was playing Game Boy Advance trying to find my way out of some maze to complete a floor.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it happen to me a few times. I remember playing Civilization 2 on my PSX made me lose track of time for hours on end. If only I could get that engrossed in Civ 4.

I agree with you, most of the times for be surprised with the ligth of the sunrise while playing games, was with some Civ release.

Also happens long time ago with Warcraft 2, and some command and conquer, but I´m a father and I´m not allowed to do that anymore.

Cheers..

My sleep loser was Final Fantasy for the NES. I worked second shift and would get home around 11 or so and play until 6-7am every morning for months on end. I just had to try all the different party configurations I could think of!! Now they released it for cell phones and you guessed it!! I have been putting an hour or so in everyday on my cell. To bad the battery life gets drained quickly playing it. I used to charge my phone every 3 or 4 days..... now I charge it every night!!

NHL 95 on the Sega Genesis caused me to loose all track of time. You could create players and build dream teams. I'd play seasons with teams made up of all stars and friends and relatives. My cousin led the league in points one season. Goofy, fun times. Little sleep.

Five to ten years ago I would always sacrifice sleep to game all night long.. Now my body and mind can't handle it. If I don't stay disciplined and turn the game (or whatever I'm doing) off, then I'm one bipolar, douchebag-motherfucker the next day. :(

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Many games for me, usually RPGs. But the worst/best case was when I started playing Tetris on my computer one night after work. I was an instructor at a business college, and taught both morning and evening classes, so "after work" meant nearly midnight. I started playing Tetris, and couldn't stop-- it was like I was hopelessly addicted to it. Each time I lost, I immediately started over, sure that I could get a better score. The next thing I knew, it was time to go to work in the morning. I didn't even feel tired, because I was so keyed up from playing.

The next worst/best case was probably Millipede on the 2600. I would play it all night, and when I finally went to bed, I could see the game in my mind.

More recently, Oblivion and Morrowind both kept me up way past my bedtime on many a night-- but not lately.

Michael