IGNORED

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

• Never.
    • On occasion.
    • All the time.
    • What's this thing called sleep you speak of?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

Many, many times I stayed up to 4-5 in the morning playing Counter-Strike Source in Japan.

The day that Guitar Hero 2 came out, I didn't sleep until I completed career mode in expert. I went to sleep at 3am... but I finally beat Freebird.

There are others, but those two are the most memorable.

I used to stay up untill around 3am every once in a while, playing Red Faction 2 with my cousin. we made the bots very dumb and named them inappropriate names. Then we grab those nano mp's and sit at this one place, looking down at the only jump pad to get up there, just firing with unliminted ammo. it was fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fallout 3 was the latest game that has made me lose some sleep. Damn radioactive water!!!

The Europa Universalis II & III and Victoria series are deadly for my sleep... If I get really into a war or a bad economic slump, I know I won't be going to be anytime soon.

Civilization 3 cost me a few hours of sleep back in the day, I always told myself, "just one more turn and I'm done". Civilization 2 was also another one.

It's not very common for me to lose sleep over a game... It takes a really interesting game to make me go crazy over it.

Yup. Of the old school games, I remember getting hooked to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Treasure of Tarmin on Intellivision. It was close to the first "first person shooter" game that I can remember. I remember also getting hooked to Civilization II and III later on. Doom was another favorite.

Here are a few that come to mind:

M.U.L.E. (Atari 8-bit) - Friend and I used to play this entire nights and into the next day. Literally, if we weren't living in luxury at the end, it was another Tournament round.

Alternate Reality (Atari 8-bit) - I could play this for 2-3 days straight before I would literally collapse at the machine. Had several guys with over 250,000 XP and "won" the dungeon.

Delta Force - We used to play this multiplayer for entire nights. Nothing better than hearing someone across the room yell "S*!t" as you tagged them with a sniper rifle =)

EverQuest - Many won't admit it, but I played EverCrack to the point where I would have to set an alarm to make sure I only played for a certain time. Otherwise I was there for days.

Doom II - Bought my first networking equipment (BNC cables, Tees, Terminators, and BNC Nics) just so I could play Doom and Doom II over a network. So much fun.

This thread just rose from it's grave, but it's a good one! I used to when I was younger find myself going "ONE MORE TIME!" for a lot of score chase games where I felt like I got real close to pulling off something great, and the games only lasted 10 minutes top anyway. Nowadays, I get that same ONE MORE TIME! thing with pinball which can keep me up stupid late.

The games that now do that to me are the games that construct their checkpoints to keep you going forward. Prince of Persia Sands of Time sticks out as one of those to me. You defeat the bad guys, and you get a checkpoint. But you're really curious to see what the next room looks like, so you run in there. Oh, look at that -- it's awesome! Well, it took me five minutes to get here, might as well play through it. There... Beat it! Oh, some bad guys, let me take care of those before I end...

Four hours later... whoops!

I try my best to NOT let this happen to me anymore :)

I usually find a way to macro a PS2 joystick to avoid staying up and grinding. With Record of Agarest War I would take naps on the couch and occasionally wake up to allocate points after level up. Me and Random Terrain have the same crescent roll shaped PS2 joystick and no manual. It's s game in itself to figure out how to come up with workable macros :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sure it's happened more than a few times, but the only ones I remember for sure are Castlevania and Adventure Island for NES. In both cases I had somewhere to go the following day, but I was so close to beating the game that I was determined to see it through.

Puzzle games can hook me too, especially if they can be beaten -- I'm not so excited about playing for high scores. I think I stayed up late sometime this past year trying to clear the hardest settings on Columns, and also maybe Dr. Hello (a Korean bootleg version of Dr. Mario for SMS).

I must've had some late nights with 8- and 16-bit RPGs when I was younger, but I can't remember any specifics. Then again in the evening my parents were apt to want the TV, so most of my long gaming sessions were in the daytime. I was up until 1:00 or so beating Sword of Vermilion some months back, but that was mainly just because I wanted to get the damn thing over with.