IGNORED

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

Rhindle The Red

Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever lost sleep because you couldn't stop playing a game?

• Never.
    • On occasion.
    • All the time.
    • What's this thing called sleep you speak of?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Phantasy Star series, especially 2. I'd live down by the gaming tv on the weekends. Usually i'd pull an all-nighter friday night and sleep part of the day away saturday. Then pull another all nighter that night.

Then I grew up, got a job and got married and I figured those days were over. Not so! It's much less now but I still pull all nighters. However I can't seem to bounce back from them like I could 20 years ago.

• 5 months later...

are we talkin current gen or old school?

I recall Playing DragonWarrior IV for Nes til the sun came up so many times..along with Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II....Final Fantasy III.....Breat of Fire.....Final Fantasy X....Final Fantasy VII....Disagaea, Disgaea 2, Disgaea 3.....and so on!

As for Atari games? Not so much..most time spent playing a single Atari game..>? Maybe a half hour.....to an hour....ASteroids always took a long time to roll the score!

Commodore 64 kept me up late nights just programming it to swear at me or a user in a text based adventure from back in the day!

:D :thumbsup:

good poll question, even if out of date! +1

Edited by Chris Leach

I've never lost sleep to a game... delayed it, yes... I once started playing Arkanoid II on my Apple IIgs at around 7PM and didn't quit playing until I noticed the sun was coming up and went to bed.

...Now surfing the internet looking up video games and computer stuff... Back when I was in Junior high there were several times where I didn't ever go to bed... going to school after an all night download fest was probably not the best thing for me and every time I did it I always crashed on the couch in the living room as soon as I came in the door and I could not be waken for several to a dozen hours.... Going from a 14.4k modem to a 56k modem just was so nuts I got a little obsessed with looking up ROMS to play in iNES and downloading every single map, brain, bot, tip video I could find for Bolo...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doom 3

Booted it up on a Thursday night... ended up sleeping for a couple hrs Friday morning, woke up late, called in sick... and promptly stayed up most of the weekend making my way through the game. I probably averaged 2-4 hrs per night for those few nights in a row. I had an amazing experience with it at the time. Soooo many things about that Dark and Brooding atmosphere that kept me hooked from start to finish.

• Like 1

Once in a while I can really get into a PS or PS2 game late at night, and the time can just fly. 6 hours really is plenty of sleep for me; I just hate when you wake up just a little bit before the alarm will go off, then you fall back asleep and then get jarred awake by the alarm.. that makes me real sleepy.

Just about any RPG.. As long as I am moving forward with the story. If I get stuck I usually get pissed and am very aware of how long its taking. But if i am grinding for money &/or experience, or have a definite goal, time stands still, or at least I perceive it to.

I don't understand the question. As a gamer that's the same as asking: "Have you ever moved your leg while taking a step?"

The only time I DIDN'T lose sleep playing a game is when an NPC in Ultima III told me to go to bed. I figured when random townsfolk break the forth wall to give me advice I should take it.

Edited by theloon

I am always staying up too late for one reason or another. I recently cancelled my cable, and the box was the only clock in my bedroom. The other day, I lost track of time and played until 9 am! Maybe I should get a clock.

I couldn't even name all the games I have played until sun up. A few included would be mame games such as Donkey Kong, Tapper, and Radar Scope. On Intellivision, it's Utopia, Blackjack, Burgertime, Bump N Jump, Pac-man, Space Hawk, Night Stalker, and Worm Whomper. On nes, Predator, Burgertime, Gemfire, Pirates, all three Adventure Island games, Smash TV, Dragon Warrior, Legend of Zelda, and Robo Warrior. N64- Gretzky's 3d hockey, Super Mario, Ocarina of Time, Smash Bros. On modern systems, I would play any gta game to death, Elder Scrolls games, Counter-Strike (long time ago), cod games (not anymore), Max Payne 3, and Borderlands 1 and 2 (this new one is great!). I usually end up calling it quits out of respect for whatever console I'm playing (don't want to overheat). My hands hurt more these days, too. Probably from years of controller claw.. Oh, and art school took a heavy toll on my hands as well.

• 1 month later...

I've stayed up late on occasion because I was into a game, but nothing too drastic and I've certainly never pulled an all-nighter. I tend to do it with games on my DS, since that system's easy to play while in bed with the lights off, plus I play a lot of RPGs and other non-action stuff like the Ace Attorney series on there, and if it's getting late I won't be able to keep up with an action game because I'm tired.

Edited by Gooper Blooper

Good thread! Glad to see that it was bumped.

When I was a kid, I was always staying up late to play games, usually on the Atari 800 or 2600. If I found a game that I liked, I just had to keep on playing it until I learned everything about it. Somehow, video games are more fun for me at night: everything else fades into darkness, and there's nothing left but me and the imaginary world of the video game, seen through a glowing screen. A good movie is the same way.

After I started working, late-night gaming pretty much had to come to an end unless it was on a weekend or a holiday when I could get away with sleeping in the next day, so there weren't many games that kept me awake at night after that. (That isn't a function of age, either; even as a kid, I had to sleep in the next day after staying up late.) But there have been exceptions, most notably The Next Tetris for the PC, which I was hooked on as soon as it was released and still play today.

One of the things that has helped me is that I don't own any modern consoles and only play classics to this day, and those games don't require the same kind of time investment. You can have fun with it for thirty minutes, walk away, and feel that you've accomplished something, especially if you beat your high score.