IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 29: Zaxxon

Ze_ro

2. I like how if you shoot somthing too close to you...you blow up also,,,only game I know of that does that.

I think other games do that, too, but I may be wrong, and I can't think of any in particular to cite as examples. It's because the explosion is drawn with the same player that the enemy ship was drawn with, so touching any part of the explosion with your ship is the logical equivalent (in collision terms) of colliding with an enemy ship.

MR

two things about this game

1. I still have trouble telling my altitude

2. I like how if you shoot somthing too close to you...you blow up also,,,only game I know of that does that.

Off to try again. :D

Practice a lot.

After while you 'feel' the right altitude without having to look at your altitude meter.

I played this game a lot in the eighties and I can still 'feel' the right altitudes after all these years.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

-- When you get to the robot, try to find the right altitude to hit the little guy.

The "little guy" is a missile that the robot Zaxxon will shoot at you if you take too long to destroy it.

OK. It just moves so slowly, I figured it must be a "person" or littler robot. ;) Guess I need to RTFM.

MR

18,300. I could get more, but I keep running into invisible things. Yeah, I know it's 3D and all, but sometimes there's nothing there and the ship crashes. And sometimes I directly hit a ship with a missile like three times and it still is floating around like a moron.

post-9475-1163565972_thumb.png

Edited by atari2600land

Best Zaxxon tip: go with the flow and stop thinking about tactics.

Yes, that's what works best for me with Millipede-- I'll be racking up a huge score without really even being aware of it, just "in the zen zone," but as soon as I notice my score and start thinking about what I'm doing, it doesn't take me long after that to crash and burn all of a sudden! :)

I haven't found the "zen zone" on Zaxxon yet, but that may be because I'm playing it on an emulator and keyboard instead of on a 2600 and joystick.

MR