Photo

A Modded Top Loading Nes on Ebay without "Vertical Lines"?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Richard477 OFFLINE  

Richard477

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:07 PM

:?: Hello, I am new to this forum, but I have read the forums here for a while. I have a question to ask all of you about a top loading nes I currently see for auction. It had been modified for use with rca jacks. The seller claims that the faint lines that appear on the screen have been, "Drasticaly improved. Almost non-existant." He also offers as a side service to mod your own top-loading nes for $35, without shipping and handling. Now I have a very mint top-loading nes, thats still complete in the box, so I am tempted to take him up on this offer if it is truly legit. However I am also very weary about sending it out, especially if it's a scam. Since you guys have more experience with this sort of thing than I do, I am interested in your opinions on this. Here is the ebay link by the way:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 JB ONLINE  

JB

Quadrunner

• 9,211 posts
  • With Stereo-Of-The-Art-Sound

Posted Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 PM

There IS a legitimate mod that can be done. Actually a few different approaches, with varying levels of improvement.
It sounds like he just bypasses the RF modulator, which doesn't eliminate the vertical line issue, but DOES make the image cleaner in general.

I'd be hesitant to send a "mint in box" unit out for modding, regardless of the mod. No matter what, it's not mint when it comes back, so unless you don't CARE that it's mint in box, find a different sacrifice...

#3 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• 16,558 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:02 AM

I agree with JB about sending a mint unit out for mods. Even if you don't care that it's mint, whoever does the mod must be VERY careful to do as little damage as possible to the unit.
My once mint 7800 still looks awesome even after a couple of external mods. I'd really be ticked if I'd trashed it while modding it.

#4 Prodos8 OFFLINE  

Prodos8

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Where is John Galt?

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:47 PM

I added a power LED to my NES toploader...so I guess it's no longer mint now? I'm planning on doing one of the A/V mods as well once I determine which one is best. Anyone happen to know which one that would be?

Attached Thumbnails

• nes2.jpg

#5 madhatter667 OFFLINE  

madhatter667

Dragonstomper

• 863 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:59 PM

Is having original audio/video such a bad thing? Sure, the toploading NES had some artifacting... but that's the way it was built. I just dunno about modding old consoles like that. Modding newer stuff that is still easier to get is one thing (like a PSX ya paid $5 for).
As far as older/vintage stuff goes, I tend to take the preservation approach... I never mess with anything unless I have it in multiples.
I have a case modded PSX and PS2...but I also have original examples in decent shape as well.

So I suppose I would say, don't mod it if it is mint in box, and your only unit.

#6 bones OFFLINE  

bones

Dragonstomper

• 870 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:18 PM

I had this seller do the mod on a top loader NES. It turned very nicely, with virtually no lines visable.

#7 Richard477 OFFLINE  

Richard477

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:06 PM

Thanks for the answers, guys. I guess having an RF only top loader isn't really the end of the world, but I like the looks of it better than the front loader, plus I don't know if I trust all those replacement connectors I see on ebay with my old games. I do care about keeping the top loader in it's original state but I also want a good reliable nes and be done with it. I most likely will just hang on to it until the day there is a repectable person or business who can do a perfect mod, as in a perfect picture and no lines at all. (Speaking of witch, is there any legitimate businesses online that even offer such a mod, aside from just adding the A/V support?)

#8 swlovinist ONLINE  

swlovinist

Stargunner

• 1,472 posts
  • I heart videogames!

Posted Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:06 PM

I had this person do a mod for me, and it turned out nicely. The lines are still there(faint), but it is a heck of a lot cleaner.

#9 Prodos8 OFFLINE  

Prodos8

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Where is John Galt?

Posted Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:42 AM

Which mod is the guy using? I've heard the one featured on gamesx.com is not the best.

#10 Reaperman OFFLINE  

Reaperman

River Patroller

• 4,786 posts

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2008 9:24 AM

I picked up a reasonably priced, slightly yellowed toploader from the thrift shop. Great, it doesn't take much space, but it's only got an RF out. I've also heard the picture has a vertical line every 8 pixels. (I have not yet turned it on, as I don't think I have a power supply that's not buried deep in storage)

Is this system worth my time to fix? What is the best mod possible? I found the one at gamesx, but that's it. I can't help but notice the lack of s-video on in that mod...

is this system even worth the cost of a wall-wort and the time/parts required to mod? Or am I going to dump all that time into this only to get a picture inferior to the average noac system? Re-slotting front loaders seems to be in fashion, but they're not exactly stylish, and they're rather common compared to what I picked up last week.

Edited by Reaperman, Mon Apr 7, 2008 9:26 AM.

#11 keilbaca OFFLINE  

keilbaca

Fight like a robot!

• 7,505 posts
  • Berzerk (Atari 2600) champ

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2008 11:38 AM

I don't understand why someone would mod a NES2. They're quite a bit more rare than regular NES's. That's why I won't mod Sears Video Arcade II's, or heavy sixers.

Anyways, to be honest, I have a perfect picture with my NES2.

I use an Atari 2600 RF cable (best shielding cable I ever found for any console) and the RCA to Coaxial adapter that I got right here on Atariage.

#12 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,956 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2008 7:30 PM

Is this system worth my time to fix? What is the best mod possible? I found the one at gamesx, but that's it. I can't help but notice the lack of s-video on in that mod...

is this system even worth the cost of a wall-wort and the time/parts required to mod? Or am I going to dump all that time into this only to get a picture inferior to the average noac system? Re-slotting front loaders seems to be in fashion, but they're not exactly stylish, and they're rather common compared to what I picked up last week.

You will not see s-video on any mod of the NES. That's just life. From what I understand, there is no mod of the NES2 that would bring it up to the PQ level of an original front-loader. That's why refurbing front loaders has become a very popular option lately. I've had a toploader for about four years now, and I'm so sick of the white lines that I'm looking to refurb a toaster myself.

#13 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,257 posts

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2008 7:39 PM

Hmm, on a somewhat related topic I am interested in checking out the RetroDuo in this respect. Apparently the NES side seems s-vid capable.

#14 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,956 posts

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2008 7:46 PM

Hmm, on a somewhat related topic I am interested in checking out the RetroDuo in this respect. Apparently the NES side seems s-vid capable.

Check out this thread for discussion on that topic. Apparently, a couple of stoners swear that it only does s-video for SNES games.

#15 Reaperman OFFLINE  

Reaperman

River Patroller

• 4,786 posts

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2008 9:37 PM

I don't understand why someone would mod a NES2. They're quite a bit more rare than regular NES's. That's why I won't mod Sears Video Arcade II's, or heavy sixers.

since it's already a bit yellowed, I doubt any collector's going to be after it, but I may have to go with a front loader because of the vertical lines, and a 'random resetting' issue I've been hearing about.

It really seems that there is currently no 'high end' method of playing nes games though.

#16 FABombjoy OFFLINE  

FABombjoy

Moonsweeper

• 477 posts

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2008 8:38 PM

From what I understand, there is no mod of the NES2 that would bring it up to the PQ level of an original front-loader.

There most definitely is, I've done a few of them. The schematic was posted in a nesdev thread, but I don't have a link or schematic ATM. Look for the schematic that uses the (I believe) 2SA937 part.

#17 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,956 posts

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2008 8:55 PM

From what I understand, there is no mod of the NES2 that would bring it up to the PQ level of an original front-loader.

There most definitely is, I've done a few of them. The schematic was posted in a nesdev thread, but I don't have a link or schematic ATM. Look for the schematic that uses the (I believe) 2SA937 part.

Interesting. I did not find the mod online, will look more later, but how exactly does one get rid of the "vertical line" issue? I was under the impression that problem lied in the PPU itself, making the fix beyond what a capacitor might fix.

#18 Prodos8 OFFLINE  

Prodos8

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Where is John Galt?

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2008 9:18 PM

I found this mod that's supposed to minimize/eliminate the lines:

toploader_video_circuit.JPG

Haven't actually done one yet but I was going to use a BC327 PNP transistor as that's what I've have on hand. Also not really sure what FC2 is but the text instructions said it could be left out? I have the image on my computer but can't remember where I found it any more.

#19 FABombjoy OFFLINE  

FABombjoy

Moonsweeper

• 477 posts

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:30 AM

Ignore FC2

The vertical line issue seems to be due to the PCB layout. The PPU's video output is in close proximity to the data or address bus. If you cut & reroute the video output the lines disappear. Or, in the case of A/V modded units, just cut & lift the output pin alltogether & install the mod components.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users