IGNORED

Popeye for the Atari 7800?

7800Lover

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Am I missing something with the 7800 Graphics editor?

If the 7800 is capable of "any sized" sprites, why am I limited to 16 pixels high?

Is there an editor that allows taller sprites, OR is there a way to configure stacked sprites on this editor.

I am not very knowledgeable on the 7800, but wouldn't mind contributing.

post-13491-0-24189900-1488481761_thumb.png

I made this one for the C-64. Then I realized that version is too flawed for just an upgrade on graphics. :(

post-13491-0-70882300-1488481805.png

• 2 months later...

I new Nintendo released the arcade and what has been printed about the big N, they may have decided the NES should have the best version. It would have been a great addition to the 7800 library.

Parker Bros had the rights to the home version, from Nintendo. So, all the home and PC releases, in the US, were from them. They no longer released video games after the 84 crash, so that is one of the many probably reasons it wasn't release for the 7800. Nintendo had it on the Famicom in Japan, because it was their game. So, it was just a given that they would have it.

I made a graphic hack for the NES game too (in addition to the A8 version I hacked, with the help of Playsoft). The NES resolution was much more friendly to Popeye detail. I could have made a better hack, but I was limited by the tile placement, set by the programmer.

darryl1970, on 12 May 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

Parker Bros had the rights to the home version, from Nintendo. So, all the home and PC releases, in the US, were from them. They no longer released video games after the 84 crash, so that is one of the many probably reasons it wasn't release for the 7800.

While Parker Brothers left the video game industry after 1984, they actually came back in the video game industry. I owned 2 Sega Master games Parker Bros published and 1 Nes game they published.

Park Bros didn't publish games for the 7800 when they came back due to them having a deal with Sega and went to Nintendo due to them being the Game console leader at the time.

Parker Bros. came back in the late 1980's due Sega of America had Tonka market the Sega Master System along with distributing the system starting in 1987. Parker Bros. at the time was owned by Tonka and Parker Bros was back in the video game industry as a result. Parker Bros published games for the master system, but Sega of America ended the relationship with Tonka in 1989. Parker Bros. released 2 games for the Nes after that and left the industry again.

Parker Bros. published King's Quest, Montezuma's Revenge, and Where in the World is Carmon Sandiego? for the Sega Master system. Parker Bros. also published Monopoly and Heavy Shreddin for the Nes

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 1

While Parker Brothers left the video game industry after 1984, they actually came back in the video game industry. I owned 2 Sega Master games Parker Bros published and 1 Nes game they published.

Park Bros didn't publish games for the 7800 when they came back due to them having a deal with Sega and went to Nintendo due to them being the Game console leader at the time.

Parker Bros. came back in the late 1980's due Sega of America had Tonka market the Sega Master System along with distributing the system starting in 1987. Parker Bros. at the time was owned by Tonka and Parker Bros was back in the video game industry as a result. Parker Bros published games for the master system, but Sega of America ended the relationship with Tonka in 1989. Parker Bros. released 2 games for the Nes after that and left the industry again.

Parker Bros. published King's Quest, Montezuma's Revenge, and Where in the World is Carmon Sandiego? for the Sega Master system. Parker Bros. also published Monopoly and Heavy Shreddin for the Nes

That is interesting, and totally makes sense. Even though a lot of games were off my radar during that time period, I recall the Tonka deal. Good information. Thanks!

Nice work!

Thank you.