IGNORED

Maids + Elevators = 2600 Homebrew

vdub_bobby

Most of the jokes are based on the word "made" which is pronounced just like "maid."

"Maiden voyage" is a term used for the first launch of a boat. In this case, the word "maiden" is synonymous with the word "virgin." So a ship taking its maiden voyage is losing it's sea virginity.

Most of the jokes are based on the word "made" which is pronounced just like "maid."

"Maiden voyage" is a term used for the first launch of a boat. In this case, the word "maiden" is synonymous with the word "virgin." So a ship taking its maiden voyage is losing it's sea virginity.

Now try to explain "Iron Maiden" without getting banned :lolblue:

I've noticed the elevators are in the same position every time you start the game. Is there some way to make the elevators be in random positions from the start?

Yeah, there is. I haven't decided yet if I want to do this.

It might make sense to offer that as a variation, like Barnstorming where the first 3 game variations have fixed maps(I think each # has it's own fixed map) and the 4th variation which is random every time.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while!

New version!

ElevRep20070225.bin

Changes:

-Added short death sequence

-Stopped elevators from moving during death sequence

Not a big change, but it should really help playability, since you are much less likely to lose all your lives in a big, unfortunate burst. :)

In other news...

I am looking for some graphics help. I would like my intrepid maid to be animated, but my own skills are failing me. I don't care if you animate the current maid or if you create a new maid sprite and animate it. I also would like a single-color version of the maid (also animated).

Technical details:

-the maid is composed of two sprites laid on top of each other. One is black, the other can be any color(s), with the colors changing every *other* line.

-the single-color maid: this will be used for a possible two-player simultaneous gameplay mode; one maid must be black and one can be any color.

-Standard 2600 sprite limitations apply: 8-pixels wide, etc.

For reference, here is the current sprite and its parts:

post-6060-1172511577.png post-6060-1172511583.png post-6060-1172511588.png

Edited by vdub_bobby

I am looking for some graphics help. I would like my intrepid maid to be animated, but my own skills are failing me. I don't care if you animate the current maid or if you create a new maid sprite and animate it. I also would like a single-color version of the maid (also animated).

Have you asked Nathan Strum if he is interested in helping with the sprites? He's created some great looking graphics in other 2600 games. :)

..Al

Have you asked Nathan Strum if he is interested in helping with the sprites? He's created some great looking graphics in other 2600 games. :)

..Al

I'd love to see anything he can come up with. :)

But he seems to be so busy lately that I thought I'd make an open call for any and all help.

:?: :arrow: post-7623-1172597803.gif

I don't like the animation nearly as much with the stretchy-neck. I wonder if vdub_bobby could rework the kernel to ease the restriction.

Given that there are only two colors for that sprite, I would think that it should be possible to do something like:

cpy colorswitch_y
 bne dont_switch
 lda #$0E
 sta COLUP1
dont_switch:

or, if the y value works out particularly favorably:

cpy colorswitch_y
 bne dont_switch
 sty COLUP1
dont_switch

The latter would assume that the Y value for the switch would always be the proper COLUP1 value--probably too optimisic, but nice theory.

:arrow: post-7623-1172558492.gif

That's pretty good, but it won't work. My fault, I wasn't entirely clear. When I said that the color could change every other line, I meant that the color changes had to happen at fixed lines:

post-6060-1172595086.png

So the boundary between the white color and her neck can't move up by a single line. :(

Is there any reason why you couldn't just adjust the maid's Y-value by 1 every time the collar would raise by a pixel? It seems that this would remove the color change restriction and avoid the somewhat unappealing stretchy-neck, plus there would be no reason to change the kernel.

Edited by batari

Is there any reason why you couldn't just adjust the maid's Y-value by 1 every time the collar would raise by a pixel? It seems that this would remove the color change restriction and avoid the somewhat unappealing stretchy-neck.

I would guess that he's using a 2LK, and only one scan line of each pair contains a color update.

On the other hand, I would think that if updating the color is sumply a "do I or don't I" question that might simplify the color update enough to allow it to be handled on both lines.

In the worst case, if there are alternating "easy" and "hard" scan lines, one could make the decision to change colors on an "easy" scan line and jump to a separate copy of the "hard" scan line code which includes a simple color store (e.g. "LDA #$xx / STA COLUPx". This might work especially well if data byte for one of the sprites happened to match the necessary color value.