The Wii Sports thread

23 replies to this topic

#1 Xot OFFLINE  

Xot

River Patroller

• 4,597 posts
  • Because I'm -- A NINJA!!

Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:31 PM

Gotta say, pretty much every one of these games rocks. The boxing is easily my favorite. My daughter's rating is already 636. I still can't get a really good score in Bowling yet, but the simple gamely with advanced interface is fantastic. I can't wait to see how much further this technology can be pushed.

#2 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,083 posts

Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:34 PM

I can't wait to try them out. :)

..Al

#3 SteveW OFFLINE  

SteveW

Quadrunner

• 6,240 posts

Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:37 PM

I'm wondering how good the Bowling game is. A bunch of ex-Nintendo engineers left the company and created the Xavix GamePort, which played motion-controlled games like bowling, boxing, baseball, and tennis. Each game cart comes with the appropriate controller. The bowling game came with a small bowling ball that you swing to play. And that game was a hell of a lot of fun. The only real problem was that it wouldn't read the bowling ball when you swung it behind you, and that might screw up your aim. If the Wii is supposed to have really good tracking resolution like CPUWIZ stated, I'm thinking that it would be even more fun to play. Although you don't get to have a bowling ball in your hand like the Xavix does.

#4 Xot OFFLINE  

Xot

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,597 posts

Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:48 PM

I'm wondering how good the Bowling game is. A bunch of ex-Nintendo engineers left the company and created the Xavix GamePort, which played motion-controlled games like bowling, boxing, baseball, and tennis. Each game cart comes with the appropriate controller. The bowling game came with a small bowling ball that you swing to play. And that game was a hell of a lot of fun. The only real problem was that it wouldn't read the bowling ball when you swung it behind you, and that might screw up your aim. If the Wii is supposed to have really good tracking resolution like CPUWIZ stated, I'm thinking that it would be even more fun to play. Although you don't get to have a bowling ball in your hand like the Xavix does.

It's quite good, but HARD. The controller detects the side to side motion of your swing as well, and just like in real bowling, I always hook the damn ball to far to the left. ;)

Baseball is not a true full-fledged baseball game, it's more like wiffle ball in the sense that the runners all advance automatically, there are no double-plays, tag outs, etc. It's really just the pitching and catching, and it's tough to get a ReALLY fast fastball. I consistently throw around 67 but can get it up to the 90s sometimes. And pressing the buttons is like holding the seams of the baseball - just great. I also noticed that when I stopped trying to play it like it was a "video baseball game" and starting swinging the way I do when I actually play wiffle ball, I got much better results.

Oh, and the speaker in the controller? GENIUS.

#5 bruser_inc OFFLINE  

bruser_inc

Moonsweeper

• 457 posts

Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:06 PM

I didn't even know there was a speaker in the controller. When I was playing at 2:00am this morning I was playing Tennis and could hear the ball being hit, and thought the ball sounded closer to me, muted the sound on the TV. 'Holy Crap! This thing has a speaker built in!' Went into the controller setting and turn that speaker all the way up!

#6 Lord Helmet OFFLINE  

Lord Helmet

AtariAge Anomaly

• 9,877 posts

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:45 AM

I thought the speaker in the controller was going to feel "gimmicky" but it actually makes a nice adidtion to the experience. I also like the tiny rumble you get when you mouse over something that can be clicked.

#7 kisrael OFFLINE  

kisrael

HMBL 2600 coder

• 3,970 posts

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:49 PM

The speaker in the thing is brilliant...I was skeptical at first but am now a believer.... I think it will *really* shine with 4 player games, so each player can tell what sound effect applies to them.

In some ways, it's like the VMU or the GC/GBA connector...except it doesn't take your eyes away from the main screen. Brilliant!

#8 figgler OFFLINE  

figgler

River Patroller

• 3,153 posts
  • Dot Matrix With Stereo Sound

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:38 PM

I am partial to Golf so far but haven't tried the others outside of Boxing. I tried Boxing for a bit, switched to Golf and haven't left since :)
I've never had any desire to play any golf game before, but I am really digging this. It's very intuitive, the control is great and I'm really starting to get good at it.
I read too in an article that a number of courses have been pulled directly from NES Golf :thumbsup:

#9 bretthorror OFFLINE  

bretthorror

Dragonstomper

• 814 posts

Posted Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:43 PM

It's quite good, but HARD. The controller detects the side to side motion of your swing as well, and just like in real bowling, I always hook the damn ball to far to the left. ;)

Baseball is not a true full-fledged baseball game, it's more like wiffle ball in the sense that the runners all advance automatically, there are no double-plays, tag outs, etc. It's really just the pitching and catching, and it's tough to get a ReALLY fast fastball. I consistently throw around 67 but can get it up to the 90s sometimes. And pressing the buttons is like holding the seams of the baseball - just great. I also noticed that when I stopped trying to play it like it was a "video baseball game" and starting swinging the way I do when I actually play wiffle ball, I got much better results.

Follow through every time like you're really bowling. It reduces my hooking by 50%. Boxing actually would be great, but I throw 4 punches and the Wii only responds to one, I wish they're let you punch faster. I mean in real life I'm throwing 4 so there's no reason the game shouldn't.

I enjoy baseball because it's so fast paced and fielding is boring anyways. I too like that speaker in the controller! For all the high tech nerds who say it's not the best quality, every time I hear it it reminds me of the first time I turned out surround sound, it was so different and fresh, I love the speaker as well.

Golf, it's getting underrated by retarded geeks who are used to hitting every shot 100% because they've mastered pushing a button and swing time on a meter and all that over the years. Golf's controls are being wildly overstated as erratic. It's not easy to hit perfect golf shots, ask golfers. My main beef is putting, you want to just give it the ol' Happy Gilmore tap-tap-taparoo and it doesn't respond, then you end up hitting it too hard. But still if you practice before you putt, you should get it under control.

Bottom line is Wii Sports is a very solid game, much better than many reviews indicate. I would give the game an 8.5 or higher if I was reviewing, but I am not so much into the 50 hour game or the cutting edge graphics so much as I want to just have fun. I get a chuckle when I turned on Wii Sports and started playing. People complaining about graphics when they look as good as they do are nuts. Sure, back when the 16 bit systems came out and the original PS1 there was a significant jump, 3D gameplay, etc... but now graphics are so damn nice that they basically look real when you're into the game anyways.

And the Mii thing is hilarious. Completely underrated. I love it when I'm bowling and my Miis such as "Baby Daddy" (go Maury!) and "Big Worm" (the midget) sit in the background cheering me on.

#10 compacho OFFLINE  

compacho

Moonsweeper

• 440 posts

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:23 PM

Tennis rules me!! Always keeps you on your toes.

I'm having trouble with bowling. Every shot ends up going to the left. Is it because I'm right handed? And that I'm swinging toward the middle of my body?

I try to twist the remote toward the right, but it doesn't help :(

#11 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,193 posts

Posted Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:56 PM

Wii sports is a lot of fun, but it's also marred by a number of unfortunate things. One being that Wii Baseball is really only a batting practice simulator and not a full game (no fielding? hello?)

All the games suffer from a degree of inaccuracy in controls, but Wii Boxing is the worst. Guard motions work well, but actual punching is not good. The system fails to read many punches, and where they actually are directed is entirely too random. Wii Golf has problems detecting swings at times, resulting in some erratic behavior, and putting is a bit dicey as well - it's often hard to judge the amount of force.

Wii Tennis control is among the best and responds quickly and accurately, giving a good feeling of shot placement and spin (and the controller 'thwock!' is great :cool: ). Wii Bowling also gives a confident feeling of control most of the time. Tennis and Bowling were the big favorites at the family gathering, largely in part due to their effective controls and lack of frustration.

#12 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,484 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:47 AM

Well in real bowling the proper way to throw a curve is to swing your arm out straight, turn your wrist. The more you turn it the stronger the spin. Swinging toward the middle of your body may be the result of normally being used to rolling a 12+ pound ball. Whereas the wii controller is a bit lighter.

Edited by Shannon, Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:48 AM.

#13 Xot OFFLINE  

Xot

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,597 posts

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:49 PM

Wii Golf has problems detecting swings at times, resulting in some erratic behavior, and putting is a bit dicey as well - it's often hard to judge the amount of force.

Ugh- this complaint - and I've heard it before. The inability of a player to judge how to use the controller is not a failing of said controller. Sure, I sometime hit the ball too hard or not hard enough, but as long as I actually move the controller in the manner it was intended - meaning I don't do something stupid like swing the controller while I'm not paying attention - the response is pretty much what I would expect, and that means that I screw up sometimes.

#14 kisrael OFFLINE  

kisrael

HMBL 2600 coder

• 3,970 posts

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:38 PM

I dunno if it helps the situation, but I found golf easier when I just let go, tried to stop micromanaging the bar w/ practice swings, and just use a physical "feel" for it all.

I think there *are* some deficiences in the controller's precision, shown most readily (so far) in some of the Monkey Ball minigames... like trombone, I don't think it's 100% accurate in detecting distance from the sensor bar, but it's not that bad.

#15 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,193 posts

Posted Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:50 PM

Wii Golf has problems detecting swings at times, resulting in some erratic behavior, and putting is a bit dicey as well - it's often hard to judge the amount of force.

Ugh- this complaint - and I've heard it before. The inability of a player to judge how to use the controller is not a failing of said controller.

It's not a complaint, its a fact. The controllers and their accuracy and/or the games interpretations are not always on target. Sometimes it will miss portions or whole swings entirely.

Edited by remowilliams, Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:56 PM.

#16 Atari Master OFFLINE  

Atari Master

River Patroller

• 2,902 posts

Posted Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:59 AM

Ugh- this complaint - and I've heard it before. The inability of a player to judge how to use the controller is not a failing of said controller.

It's not a complaint, its a fact. The controllers and their accuracy and/or the games interpretations are not always on target. Sometimes it will miss portions or whole swings entirely.

I've said this before in other threads, so I'll say it here I suppose.

Make sure the controller isn't in direct sunlight. If it isn't, make sure nothing is reflecting light near by. Sometimes the Wii-mote mistakes things like that for another controller.

I think there's actually a way to test it or something.

Also, try with the light off. It may help some!... Though it may be dangerous. Lol

#17 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,193 posts

Posted Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:09 AM

I've said this before in other threads, so I'll say it here I suppose.

Make sure the controller isn't in direct sunlight. If it isn't, make sure nothing is reflecting light near by. Sometimes the Wii-mote mistakes things like that for another controller.

Thanks, but I'm well aware of the mechanics of the controller and sensor system, and none of that is a factor. I've tried it with two different consoles, three different remotes, four different environments, and about 40 different people. The results are the same.

I think there's actually a way to test it or something.

There is (for the IR part anyway), you can enter the sensor bar adjustment menu and see exactly the IR sources that the Wii remote is seeing. You can even grab a TV remote and see its IR output by pointing it at the Wii remote in that test ;)

#18 kisrael OFFLINE  

kisrael

HMBL 2600 coder

• 3,970 posts

Posted Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:02 AM

There is (for the IR part anyway), you can enter the sensor bar adjustment menu and see exactly the IR sources that the Wii remote is seeing. You can even grab a TV remote and see its IR output by pointing it at the Wii remote in that test ;)

OHHHHH, *that's* what the two dots mean!! I didn't put 2 and 2 together about that, even after hearing how 2 candles can replace the sensor bar...

#19 rjchamp3 OFFLINE  

rjchamp3

Stargunner

• 1,538 posts
  • The Nes Dream Master

Posted Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:21 AM

Now basebal is getting f...... hard

#20 figgler OFFLINE  

figgler

River Patroller

• 3,153 posts
  • Dot Matrix With Stereo Sound

Posted Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:48 AM

So is it possible to 'beat' any of the games? I hit pro status on baseball and golf now, and it looks like the progress graph only goes up to 2000...

#21 kevincal ONLINE  

kevincal

Quadrunner

• 5,623 posts

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:25 PM

so I got a PLATINUM medal (above Gold, not silver..) in Wii Sports and I think it's my first, anyone else get this? Curious what others home run records are.

Attached Thumbnails

• ftnn6uyu 001.jpg

Edited by kevincal, Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:26 PM.

#22 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,330 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012 4:47 PM

Yeah, I had a few platinums (tennis and golf mostly) before my launch day Wii died and took them with it. I am working on getting them back.

#23 AtariLeaf ONLINE  

AtariLeaf

Quadrunner

• 8,412 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:27 PM

Gotta say I love the Wii. After years of back and forth on buying one I finally did and am so glad I did. The Wii sports games are just fantastic and fun. My family and I love playing together and really, that's what its all about. These type of games which are simple, easy, pick up and play for a few minutes are just up my alley. Just like my 2600 - simple, easy, pick up and play. This is probably the first gaming system that I've really enjoyed since the 16 bit era. Congrats Nintendo, you did a great job with the Wii. :)

#24 HatNJ OFFLINE  

HatNJ

Stargunner

• 1,393 posts
  • When Im on Im on when Im off Im WAY off

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:42 PM

Yeah Wii Sports is great snd as was said Like the 2600 pick up and play and as combat was for the 2600 Wii Sports as a pack-in for the Wii is great.

Any of you pick up Wii Sports Resort? I did a while back and still pop it in alone or wih friends and family.
The 100 pin Bowling on it is addicting

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users