IGNORED

PS3 linux anyone?

remowilliams

Anyone else try installing linux on their PS3? I installed Fedora 5, and it went pretty smoothly. I'm amazed at the level of system openness, especially after the worthlessness that was PS2 linux. This really is quite cool :cool:

Here's a big hint to anyone who wants to try the install - when the DVD install finishes and you are asked for the extras disk - DO NOT touch the keyboard until after you've ejected the DVD, inserted the extras CD and given it a minute to mount. Otherwise the damn thing aborts!

Oh - and I can finally play Nethack in HD!

post-5887-1164921872_thumb.jpg

:lol:

Edited by remowilliams

This is great news :lust: , but I do have reservations. After all the trouble Sony has gone through to stop unauthorized applications on the PSP, will they still allow this kind of stuff (emulation) on the PS3? :ponder: But maybe the PS3 is powerful enough to emulate the Xbox better than the Xbox 360? :rolling:

It's just Linux. There is not much Sony can do other than completely disabling the ability to run separate OS's, which as of now is a feature explicitly built into the system (ie. it was not a mistake - it's an actual menu item, so it was totally intentional).

Given that, Sony obviously knew what to expect. It's not as if MAME or other emulators are new to the PS3 compile of Linux. They've been around forever.

This is great news :lust: , but I do have reservations. After all the trouble Sony has gone through to stop unauthorized applications on the PSP, will they still allow this kind of stuff (emulation) on the PS3? :ponder: But maybe the PS3 is powerful enough to emulate the Xbox better than the Xbox 360? :rolling:

It's just Linux. There is not much Sony can do other than completely disabling the ability to run separate OS's, which as of now is a feature explicitly built into the system (ie. it was not a mistake - it's an actual menu item, so it was totally intentional).

Given that, Sony obviously knew what to expect. It's not as if MAME or other emulators are new to the PS3 compile of Linux. They've been around forever.

They could care less, they just don't want people to steal their software. This was a smart move, not only because they can classify the PS3 as a computer in Europe, to get around the tax issue. ;)

So that means I can write it off as a tax deduction? $600 isn't bad for a powerful Linux box. One of my Linux clients would be blown away if I told them I was using the PS3 to develop their software.

Question, I thought the only version of Linux that would work is the PS3-specific Yellow Dog release. OK, so I'm lazy, where did you get the Fedora 5 for PS3?

Eric

So that means I can write it off as a tax deduction? $600 isn't bad for a powerful Linux box. One of my Linux clients would be blown away if I told them I was using the PS3 to develop their software.

Question, I thought the only version of Linux that would work is the PS3-specific Yellow Dog release. OK, so I'm lazy, where did you get the Fedora 5 for PS3?

Eric

You need to download the "other OS" feature from Sony first and then go here (also found many other places), scroll down a bit, you'll see it.

http://tekartist.blogspot.com/search/label/fedora%20core

So how well does fedora run on the ps3? How much do you think it will improve with yellow dog?

It runs pretty well considering the low amount of system RAM available. Better in fact than I would have thought. Everything is pretty snappy, and web browsing via Firefox is great.

Also, here's some ST love on the PS3 - I just built Hatari on it and it works great! Except for the fact that my firebutton is select on the SIXAXIS pad. :lol:

post-5887-1165268499_thumb.png

I gotta say it again - this is really cool. :cool:

So how well does fedora run on the ps3? How much do you think it will improve with yellow dog?

It runs pretty well considering the low amount of system RAM available. Better in fact than I would have thought. Everything is pretty snappy, and web browsing via Firefox is great.

Also, here's some ST love on the PS3 - I just built Hatari on it and it works great! Except for the fact that my firebutton is select on the SIXAXIS pad. :lol:

post-5887-1165268499_thumb.png

I gotta say it again - this is really cool. :cool:

I was going to wait until next year to get a PS3, but I might have to start looking for one now. :)

I'm not the biggest Sony fan in the least, but everyone has to agree: this is pretty cool.

It is but this has been possible with the XBox for a long time (with no need for any sort of hardware modification.) I would not pay the price of the PS3 simply for this. I don't run anything outside of Unix-based OS's (Gentoo on main box and OS X on the one I am typing on) but it still isn't enough to convince me.

I'm not the biggest Sony fan in the least, but everyone has to agree: this is pretty cool.

It is but this has been possible with the XBox for a long time (with no need for any sort of hardware modification.) I would not pay the price of the PS3 simply for this. I don't run anything outside of Unix-based OS's (Gentoo on main box and OS X on the one I am typing on) but it still isn't enough to convince me.

It's not convincing me either to get a Playstation 3, but from what people are saying Sony is practically LETTING people put Linux on their machines. Very easy to load up. I think that's cool.

My g4 mac is plenty good for me.

$600 is an overpriced Linux machine. I don't understand why the HD output is so important when the PCs and MACs have had higher resolution for years. It is a nifty feature but nothing that would sway me towards a PS3, especially since as previously stated other consules that are cheaper can easily access the same content and operate with the same system.

Depends how well it runs Linux as to whether or not its overpriced. I haven't tried Linux yet, and I'm not sure what kind of implications that the Cell processors would have on, say, Eclipse and the AWT applications that I'm developing. But my current multicore CPU dev box cost $550, and I still had to buy a monitor for it. The PS3 hooks up to the TV I already have.

If it's just a box for mucking around, surfing the internet, running a fileserver, sure, that's overkill. Your best bet there is probably a hacked original XBox.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

$600 is an overpriced Linux machine. I don't understand why the HD output is so important when the PCs and MACs have had higher resolution for years. It is a nifty feature but nothing that would sway me towards a PS3, especially since as previously stated other consules that are cheaper can easily access the same content and operate with the same system.

Do you know how much a PC that can play an HD DVD or Blue Ray movie would cost?

The drives alone are $700, and you need a dual core 64 bit processor + a nice video card.

PS3 is a steal.

edit:

if it doesn't melt

Edited by antron

The drives alone are $700, and you need a dual core 64 bit processor + a nice video card. PS3 is a steal.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that everyone wants a Bluray or HD-DVD drive. For those who don't want such a drive, the Bluray feature is expensive dead-weight. Ergo, $700 is expensive for a Linux machine of the PS3's caliber.

if you want HD textures in your games, get used to short games or swapping discs...

...Or procedurally generated textures. Especially those based on advanced Wavelet Compression schemes, the result of which actually loads faster thanks to modern, multi-CPU platforms' ability to decode these textures at lighting speed.

Weren't we talking about dead-weight Bluray drives making for expensive Linux machines?