IGNORED

Bad news about my Turbo Duo

nester

Well I got my Lords of Thunder in the mail today, and just as I suspected the cd component of my Duo doesn't seem to work. I just can't get cds to load. If anyone's got any suggestions, let me know. I'd really like to get this thing to work. This isn't the time of year for shattered dreams.

I have a similar question, for the Turbo CD actually. I got one, and it seems to come on and work, but it won't spin the disc. This has been a while, but I kept it, cause older CD drives are useually fairly easy to fix.

Anyhow, as I said, it won't spin the CD, it seems to try to, but only goes about a quarter or so turn then stops. Can I get a new motor pretty easily? I've got a few junker CD players around here if it's using standard parts I can scrap off them.

Nester - Luckily this should not be too difficult to fix. As long as it's just your cd laser assembly that's dead that is...Which Duo do you have? American, Japanese, R, or RX? I'm not sure which model you need for the R and RX, but if you have a "regular/black" USA or Japanese Duo go online and buy yourself a new "Sanyo Hop-M3 replacement cd laser assembly" (should cost no more then $25 shipped to your house). Be extra careful opening the system and handling the laser assembly and you should be fine. Just take out the old and put in the new.

I'm currently trying to determine if the R and RX models take the same laser as I have an R that needs a replacement too. If anyone knows I'd love to find out as the dead Duo is a sad fate indeed.

Stargunner - According to your description of what's going on with your system I wonder if the laser has just gotten off track. I'd try this quick fix before spending money on a new laser assembly/motor. Couldn't hurt eh? I know it might sound crazy, but open the cd unit (as if you're going to insert a cd to play) and very very gently try moving the cd laser assembly with your finger. Don't force it (and obviously don't touch the laser itself), but if you can move it just a bit on the track you might be able to "realign" it. I recently had a cd system shipped to my house and upon arrival it did not work. The guy I bought it from swore that it worked 100% before he shipped it. After troubleshooting as much as I could and fixing what little internal damage I could find, it would only spin a disc for just a fraction of a turn and then stop and sit there. Had to be the laser assembly I thought. I very very gently moved the assembly on the track and now my system works 100%

I'm also trying to determine the replacement lens for the Turbo Grafx CD attachment too. If anyone knows that I'd appreciate it.

Well I cleaned the lens a while back and the thing worked for about 5 seconds. Then I cleaned it again. When I went back to try it again the thing didn't spin. Now my Duo is especially broken. Also, that guy on Ebay still hasn't responded to my emails.

Hey, does anyone know what you use to open up one of those things?

• 5 weeks later...

What a nice system, with nice games. I had a Turbo Grafx with CD and System 3.0 card to play Turbo Duo games. Very good selection of CD games unlike Sega CD.

If the disc is spinning, you can try a cd cleaning disc. Otherwise if its a broken mechanism in the CD player itself, I don't see why that can't be fixed.

Hey, does anyone know what you use to open up one of those things?

I've not tried this myself but have been told it works.. take a pen remove the ink, then heat the solid end and while it's soft press it into the bit, it'll make a temporary game bit though don't expect it to last long :P

I think the only pen that is supposed to work for this, is the original BIC "crystal" pen.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a DUO that doesn't play any CD audio that I'll probably sell.

Thats easily fixed, your capacitors in the post amp are dryed up, replace them and it'll play audio like new. Since it might be hard to find 10uv 16v a 10uv 35v should work.

Awesome news! I too have been having some issues with this. Do you have a pic that shows which capacitors you're talking about? I have not worked on the audio components at all (don't know what's what).

Any help is really appreciated on that one :)

I've got a DUO that doesn't play any CD audio that I'll probably sell.

Thats easily fixed, your capacitors in the post amp are dryed up, replace them and it'll play audio like new. Since it might be hard to find 10uv 16v a 10uv 35v should work.

Awesome news! I too have been having some issues with this. Do you have a pic that shows which capacitors you're talking about? I have not worked on the audio components at all (don't know what's what).

D-Lite of the PCengineFX forum has a very nice guide with pictures :)

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php...msg6834#msg6834

It's a pretty easy fix but requires alittle care with soldering, a soldering braid would be adviced for the tight space between the old caps and the board.

Edited by EmOneGarand

Just assume all of them. They're probably all gone. Age does that to electrolytic caps.

Thanks a lot for the info! It's ironic, D-Lite is actually the one I purchased this Duo (Duo R actually) from about a year ago. I just replaced the laser lens assembly so my games load fine but the red book keeps cutting out on games. Only certain games seem to have an issue though which always seems odd to me.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll have to talk to D-Lite some more and see what he thinks since this is a Duo R and supposedly should not be having these issues.

Edited by Kaze

• 6 months later...

Revive of a old topic but having similar problems. I got my hands on a cd attachment for the TG-16. My problem is that the system will not spin a disc. I tried gently moving the lazer on its track to a new position but had no luck. On the display of the cd system it says PC <~what does this mean ? I have a system card in the TG-16 System Card 2.0 and the screen come's up telling me to press run then wait a moment but nothing happens.

Revive of a old topic but having similar problems. I got my hands on a cd attachment for the TG-16. My problem is that the system will not spin a disc. I tried gently moving the lazer on its track to a new position but had no luck. On the display of the cd system it says PC <~what does this mean ? I have a system card in the TG-16 System Card 2.0 and the screen come's up telling me to press run then wait a moment but nothing happens.

PC just means that it is in TurboGrafx16 mode (basically) rather than being a standalone CD player. I'm not sure about the error you are getting, though. Have you tried cleaning the system card and your TG16? Also, you might try inserting the CD player attachment a few times - perhaps it isn't getting a really good connection somewhere. And I doubt this matters, but perhaps you don't have the two locks in place? There is one on the bottom and the other, I believe, is on the side somewhere. The bottom one is for the unit itself, the other one is for the little detachable CD player portion.

PC just means that it is in TurboGrafx16 mode (basically) rather than being a standalone CD player. I'm not sure about the error you are getting, though. Have you tried cleaning the system card and your TG16? Also, you might try inserting the CD player attachment a few times - perhaps it isn't getting a really good connection somewhere. And I doubt this matters, but perhaps you don't have the two locks in place? There is one on the bottom and the other, I believe, is on the side somewhere. The bottom one is for the unit itself, the other one is for the little detachable CD player portion.

Both lock-ins are in place. I also took the TG-16, Base, and Cd-player and detached then reatached them. I'm going to take the cd-drive apart tonight to see if there is any gunk that need's cleaned.

If either of the lock in weren't set, you wouldn't be able to use the TG-16 CD system anyway. Since you did try with the System 2.0 card and got message for playing CD, it does sound like maybe the CD unit is busted.

Try removing the CD unit and hook up standard TG-16 power supply and see if it'd play audio CD? The power supply for Turbo CD system will not work as it's different plug. If it plays audio CD, the base unit may be bad. If the audio CD doesn't spin, the CD unit is probably bad.

• 7 years later...

Necrobump. I'm having a similar problem. I just replaced the laser assembly in my US TurboDuo and the CD won't spin. I tried putting the old one back in and got the same result. The laser spears to be moving on the track (I'm 99% sure it's in a different spot after I turn it on) but the CD does not spin at all. Any ideas?

I followed the instructions and had no issues so I can't see what I could have screwed up. I hope I didn't damage my Duo, but like I said, I can't see how I could have.