IGNORED

Rambling With Rogmeister - Mario

RSS Bot

I went out today and bought my first portable games of the year. I had made myself a goal of not buying more than 20 games in 2006. And then I bought all of 2 games the first half of the year. Even though I've gotten into a little bit of a buying spree of late, I'm still likely to stick to that goal. These two bring my game purchases for the year up to 17...18, counting one game on order that hasn't arrived yet.

Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 is, of course, the portable version of Super Mario World which was a monster hit on the Super Nintendo system. I'm glad to have a portable unit I can play when I go to visit my brother every week. Just now I played it a bit but figured I don't want to get hooked on it right now....I've things to do. This has a fun little opening sequence. Not only that, but Mario actually talks in this game which he didn't do in the original version. For instance, when he gets a mushroom that makes him grow twice his size he comments "Just what I needed!" I never had a Game Boy Advance (the reason this is only my second GBA game) but my DS portable will play these fine. My only real gripe is the GBA packaging...the boxes are made of cardboard, not real sturdy. If any games need hard plastic cases, it's portables that are going to be carried around. Luckily, each DS case (which is made of hard plastic) has an extra space in it where you can place a GBA game so I can protect this in one of my Mario DS games. I expect to be playing this one a lot...even if it only makes use of one screen.

New Super Mario Bros. for the DS is the other game I bought today. I just started playing this game but it seems to be like the original Super Mario Bros. with some key differences. Mario can get a super-mushroom (my word; not sure about theirs) which lets him temporarily grow to super-size and lets him destroy everything. There's also a lot of original areas to go through and I can already tell I'll have a lot of fun with this, possibly even more fun than I ever had with the original Mario...well, as much fan as can be had on a portable Mario game anyway.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...;showentry=2487