IGNORED

My 2600 demos here

LS_Dracon

Hi people

I hope demos can be posted here...

I'm start do make demos, to get better atari hardware knowledge and programming itself before my first original game. I create this topic for don't need create one topic for every single demo that I finish... So all will post here.

At this time I brought to you a Donkey Kong sprite demo.

The port of 2600 had sad sprites, so I try make a better looking.

I don't know how to use both players at same time and same positioning using 16 bit sprite data (GRP0-RESP0-GRP0, GRP1-RESP1-GRP1?), so I use flickering sprites.

See above the image for comparission :

1- Original from arcade

2 - My try

3 - Official port for 2600 (get me sick :P )

This use 2 colors, 16 bit wide sprite, and a animation.

Ah, the white part is a ball hidden behind players ;)

What you think?

Here's the binary, it's just a graphic demo. (new version at bottom)

(Sorry my poor english)

post-10940-1165861710.gif

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1

Same here via XP in the office running Stella 2.2

How did you get that screenshot? Did you composite two images?

..Al

I tried to take a screenshot and only the light brown showed up. And they're split like in the photo.

This is happening with the CVS version of Stella as well. I don't know what's going on. As for the screenshot issue, this game seems to use 30Hz flicker mode. So if you take a snapshot, you're only going to get one half or the other. Turn on phosphor mode (Alt-p), then the snapshot will include both parts (phosphor mode actually blends two frames together).

..Al

I tried to take a screenshot and only the light brown showed up. And they're split like in the photo.

That's normal because the full graphics are not displayed every frame (hence the flickering). If you take a snapshot, you'll only get what's on the screen during the frame the snapshot was taken. Normally in this case if you want a "full" screenshot, you need to composite the frames together (using Photoshop or some other image editing tool).

..Al

..Al

Turned on phosphor mode - ALT-P under XP as I was in the office. At home I'd use APPLE-SHIFT-P under OS X.

Oh duh! I didn't think to use phosphor mode! Thanks for the tip. That will save me a lot of time when trying to take snapshots of new games (which I've done a lot of in the past week!)

..Al

What you think?

Tried it on z26 and it looks great! Weird about Stella splitting it up, though. By the way, z26 shows that you've got 263 lines, so you might want to fix that. It's no big deal for NTSC, but if your line count in off on PAL versions, they say it will mess up the colors.

Michael

I tried this out in Stella 2.2 (in OS X) and poor Donkey Kong is split in half with a fair amount of distance between his two halves.

You're right, I tested only in Z26. Sorry, my fault :( But thanks to advice. :)

Fixed! Now works ok on stella too.

I tried it on Z26 (no split). It looks fantastic!! Keep up the good work

Tnx, but fantastic is that dragon from Medieval Mayhem, without flicker...

Just tried on a real Atari (used a Krok Cart), and z26 gives a more accurate picture than Stella. The flickering might look better if you do it Venetian style.

Venetian? Sorry I don't understand... you spoke interlaced lines? Like the letter code?

Looks ok on a real Atari

Really? cool :)

The "split" in Stella seems to be due to a bug with RIOT emulation, i.e. the horizontal positioning uses the RIOT timer (TIM1T).

Or this code aren't efficient :( I'm still learning...

Tanks for all.

New version :

dk_s_demo02.bin

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1