IGNORED

Game Idea: Joust Mod

Zoyx

A Joust 1 v 1 game (see image attached). Blue player tries to take the blue egg to the blue nest. Red player tries to take the red egg to the red nest. You can only pick up your own egg. You can touch the opposing dropped egg back to their perch.

Jouster collisions:

If neither has an egg, lowest player destroyed.

If one player has an egg. Lowest player dies. If it is the egg carrier, egg is dropped there.

If both have eggs. Lowest player destroyed, egg is dropped.

Capture Point (center): Touching the capture point, gives control to that player. Capture point changes to that players color.

Scoring:

Bringing egg to nest: 100

Destroying opposing player: 10

Capture point: 1 point / second of control

Pterodactyl will appear if you camp on one spot too long.

Spawning happens quicker than in regular Joust. Spawn on the lowest level with spawn protection, like regular Joust.

To get rid of the button mashing found in regular Joust: Button down, flap/rise. Button released, drop.

What sayeth ye?

post-11623-1166409026_thumb.png

I like your basic game design. It would be much easier to just write this from scratch than try to mod Joust.

I was thinking that the collisions would work very much like Joust but that you would only drop your egg if you were hit (while you had an egg) and then you were destroyed when you were hit without an egg.

I don't quite understand the capture point.

I would keep the button mashing because it wouldn't be Joust without that.

This project could be done in Batari Basic.

Thanks for the feedback. My idea for this game comes from the Starsiege-Tribes game for the PC. My goal is to make a capture the flag game with jetpacks. Joust was the closest thing to that, so I was thinking just mod Joust. If modding Joust isn't the easiest path to this game, then I might as well just make little jetpack dudes, and have them pick up flags instead of eggs. I have done some coding before, but this assembly language stuff looks a bit daunting to me. Hopefully Batari Basic won't be so intimidating.

I understand where you are coming from :idea: !

Joust was just a means for getting your game done.

Still, you should consider that using classic familiar charming characters does add an instant sheen of classic gaming goodness to your production.

Starsiege-Tribes - great game in it's day. The game mechanic seemed familiar and fun. I think it would make a wonderful game for the 2600.

I really enjoy games in this genre, like Combat or Space Wars.