Cell 516-902-8339

Office 612-291-8654

richard.hocking@bestbuy.com

Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:36 PM

To: TE-08-GMs

Cc: TE-08-LPMMs; TE-08-MMMs; TE-08-DMs; TE-08-Staff

Subject: PS3 Confidential Info...

Importance: High

Do Not Communicate this info to any one below GM level.

There is a serious concern about this info leaking out to different websites. However GM’s need to know this.

Two things:

1.) Stores should follow the directions on the sticker for the PS3 receipts between now and Holiday. If the boxes indicated “HOLD” then they are to hold ALL of those units (not just the Ad min). Bottom line, any receipts after tomorrow 12/20/06 will all be held for 12/31/06 Ad.

2.) The business team is treating the info specific to Wii and PS3 hardware and accessories as extremely sensitive, and has serious concerns about leaks to internet websites (hence the reason this was not in the Insider yesterday)

Tom Scarola

Retail Supply Chain Manager

Territory 8

Districts; 34,37,38,39,44,47,48,54,58,72

Cell 516-841-6529

Office 516-832-3050

Fax 516-832-3000

I'm not sure I get it. Best Buy is holding PS3s and Wiis?

Sounds like they are holding any PS3's and Wii's received after December 20th to sell on December 31st (which is a Sunday, and would correspond with a new weekly ad). This has already been going on with many stores, so it's not much of a surprise. I have reason to believe the email posted is legitimate.

..Al

It was/is legite. I ran by best buy in the morning to see if there was a line. No line. So I went home to sleep. Just barely managed to squeeze out of the house to get there before they closed at 6pm.

There was about 8-10 PS3 systems sitting out on the floor unpurchased. :-o Not a wii to be seen anywhere. In some ways I was surprised, some not. Considering how hard these things are/were to find and that the re-sellers seem to be having trouble getting rid of them.

I didn't have much time cause the store closed in 3 minutes. But I'd say about 3-4 were 20g systems and the rest 60g. Picked up the new DS bomberman game for my wife and then left. The checkout guy just looked absolutely thrilled to be there. :lol:

I can kinda understand why they did it, but I think the timing was poor. I guess after spending all their money on christmas nobody was too interested in getting these. Something like this would have worked better with the wii. It'll be interesting to see if they are there later in the week.

Edited by Shannon

The PS3 is an amazing piece of technology indeed, it just has little appeal as a game system.

For the past ten years I've been called a Sony fanboy because I totally loved the PS line. But they've lost me with this overblown monstrosity. I've hated M$ on principle for years and rooted against the XBox. But I can face the fact that the 360 kicks ass and delivers everything GAMING-RELATED that the PS3 does for a much lower price. The Wii is it's own animal altogether and will be interesting to watch during the next year..

The fact is that gamers want game systems, not augmented video-disc players.

Ready for this? Yesterday, 7:30p, Columbia Mall (Columbia, MD, sort of a tech hub around these parts)... 12 PS3's at the GameStop.

In the 10 minutes I stood there and chatted with the clerks (I'm friends with one of them) they got one call and 3 walk-ins looking for non-existent Wiis. Also another three looking for DS Lites, which they also don't have.

Also during that time, overheard one comment that the PS3 kiosk was still broken. And no one interested in the large stack of PSPs.

So there you have it, another report from the field.

Eric

It's too expensive. Pretty simple.

I mean, even those who can afford it easily.. it gives that feeling of forking out too much dough for the value. It's kind of like paying 10 bucks for a glass of Coke with ice if you get what I'm saying.

(And no I'm not drawing a functional comparison, just the idea of reluctance to shell out more than you want)

Edited by NE146

Ready for this? Yesterday, 7:30p, Columbia Mall (Columbia, MD, sort of a tech hub around these parts)... 12 PS3's at the GameStop.

In the 10 minutes I stood there and chatted with the clerks (I'm friends with one of them) they got one call and 3 walk-ins looking for non-existent Wiis. Also another three looking for DS Lites, which they also don't have.

Also during that time, overheard one comment that the PS3 kiosk was still broken. And no one interested in the large stack of PSPs.

So there you have it, another report from the field.

Eric

Was in a Best Buy two days ago (in Austin) and saw a stack of PS3's right by the front entrance. No Wii's in stock, but heard people asking about them. Was in an EB Games yesterday, they had three PS3's sitting on the counter behind the clerks, but no Wii's. The PS3 kiosk was not on (forgot to look at Best Buy). Looks like people have given up selling PS3's on Craigslist, finally. :)

..Al

There were PS3s all over the place here locally before Christmas. Out of curiosity, I went out the day after Christmas to see what was left. You know, what everyone did not want. There were only PS3s, X box 360s, PSPs, Gamecubes, and Gameboy Micros. (I picked up a Micro) The PS3s are still just as plentiful as they were before Christmas, only now it is January the 7th. I think Sony will find out that $600 or $500 is a bit much for gaming when in the past $199.00 was the magic price point to saturate the market and make those sells. Unless there are those games that will make people forget that high price sometime this year, Sony may be in for a rough ride. Because it is the games that sell a system not the technology.

It's too expensive. Pretty simple.

I mean, even those who can afford it easily.. it gives that feeling of forking out too much dough for the value. It's kind of like paying 10 bucks for a glass of Coke with ice if you get what I'm saying.

(And no I'm not drawing a functional comparison, just the idea of reluctance to shell out more than you want)

Every time I see your avatar, one word comes to mind. OBNOXIOUS! :D

Makes ya wonder why the hell Sony bothered with "Blu-Ray"...Everyone loves DVD's...why screw with that? Especially since it seems Blu-Ray isn't much better than DVD. Then again, I'm a bit ignorant on the whole DVD/Blu-Ray comparison. Sony got it right with the PS1...focus the hardware on kick-ass 3D visuals...with the PS2, they did even better with the built-in DVD player (most people at the time didn't have a DVD player yet) plus you could play your PS1 games on the PS2 with better graphics even...brilliant. Now the PS3...I can't think of anything they have done right. If they are smart, they'd copy Nintendo and try to come up with some sort of virtual arcade consisting of A+ games from the PS and PS2 for CHEAP...

With blu-ray players being able to play regular DVDs, it is going to be a hard sell when it comes to the Blu-Ray movies costing $30 or more while the same movie costs only $19 or less for regular DVD. (The players are supposed to be able to improve the looks of a regular DVD for HD-TV.) One would have to be an enthusiast to refuse to buy anything but Blu-ray movies. UMD didn't turn out to be what they thought it would be and resulted with the Movie industry jumping off the moving wagon before it runs off the cliff. I think, Sony is the only one right now that is supporting UMD the last time I read about it. Will Blu-ray follow the same path? I really don't know at this point.

Blu-ray should be great when it comes to gaming. If the industry decides to use the extra space. A Blu-ray disc holds 25 GB verses 4.7 GB on a DVD. The difference is the same leap that was made when the gaming world jumped from ram storage to CD. Now if only they could make the players a lot cheaper it could benefit the gaming world.

With blu-ray players being able to play regular DVDs, it is going to be a hard sell when it comes to the Blu-Ray movies costing $30 or more while the same movie costs only $19 or less for regular DVD. (The players are supposed to be able to improve the looks of a regular DVD for HD-TV.) One would have to be an enthusiast to refuse to buy anything but Blu-ray movies. UMD didn't turn out to be what they thought it would be and resulted with the Movie industry jumping off the moving wagon before it runs off the cliff. I think, Sony is the only one right now that is supporting UMD the last time I read about it. Will Blu-ray follow the same path? I really don't know at this point.

Blu-ray should be great when it comes to gaming. If the industry decides to use the extra space. A Blu-ray disc holds 25 GB verses 4.7 GB on a DVD. The difference is the same leap that was made when the gaming world jumped from ram storage to CD. Now if only they could make the players a lot cheaper it could benefit the gaming world.

One of my major reasons for not getting one, aside from the price, is that I don't think playing it on a 35" tube TV would take the best advantage of all of its features. The same with the BluRay or HD-DVDs. Unless there is some GREAT benefit that the average movie viewer would be able to gain, they aren't going to pay more money for the same thing that they can get on regular DVD.

JY

Dual-layer DVD drives like the one in the 360 hold 9 Gigs.

I would think though that having to make games that are 3-5 longer or more content-filled than before should drive the price of producing games up alot, which would be reflected in the price of the games. But still, I'm looking forward to the distant day when I am willing to pay the price for either the PS3 or the rumoured XBox 360 with HDMI and the HD DVD built in, and devs are using all the space available. Should be some kick-ass games by then.