IGNORED

Interfacing C= SID chip with an Atari...

dwhyte

Clearly SACK was poking back at emkay's banal idiotic spiel, which he deserves.

Yep - regardless of what the chip was designed for I have said what I like it for and why, it's just Emkays attitude that pisses me off greatly.

So is he going to look me in the eye and tell me there were never revisions of the pokey? not one little bugfix? No double or quad-chips on a die for arcade use? By his own (nonsensical) rules the pokey doesn't count either :)

sod him anyway - he's not done anything in 20 years now and I don't see that changing in the near future...

Sorry, I'm not able to make the blind able to see the light.

But POKEY never had such "upgrades". But for sure, 6581 and 8580, as the number already shows, they are just compatible chips.

And, I'm also not able to reflate your brains, but several POKEYs on one board doesn't mean they were changing the revision.

Changes on the A8 were done mostly with GTIA and ANTIC (+Freddy) and the CPU got changed.

Even IF a different revision of POKEY exist, it never has been done to change the Sound or functions.

If you only can write like kids, then why don't you stay on a dedicated forum? Possibly at Disney Channel or else.

My other thread ... just showing A8 features .... got already polluted again ....

You guys cannot accept everything outside your small world. Remember? I wrote that CPC is a very good gaming PC of it's time.... and this was before the release of the CPC Edge Grinder.

Edited by emkay

Also, the Pokey does better sound effects and guess what? I'd rather have good sound effects than synth "music." If the music was all I cared about, I'd turn the sound down and put on a CD instead!

OK another fool with blinkers AND earmuffs. +2 in nobhead club lol

So anyone else want to prove what a retard they are by adding more serious replies of an uneducated in ALL retro machines display if low intelligence?

Why is this attitude of "xxxxxxx is SH1T!" mentality found here yet other site have proper unbiased discussions REGARDLESS OF WHICH BRAND THE FORUM MAY BE A HOMAGE TO? *sad*

Can't really see evidence that either chip when programmed well is bad at SFX myself. OK Pokey can emulate the over used VCS booming explosion sound bollox but outside Star Raiders 2 type games that means fuck all to intelligent people who celebrate the differences especially people who's experience is of 1000+ games on ALL FORMATS *meh*.

Albert didn't make this site fo

Who is this JACKASS? I'm a "fool" and "retard" becuase I prefer the sounds of the Pokey over the SID, even if the SID is supposed to be more advanced? CD's are more "advanced" than vinyl records, but I still prefer the Vinyl too. Don't fix what ain't broken and just becuase something is newer and has more features does NOT mean it is better. I also prefer classic cars to modern ones. Go screw yourself you obnoxious, self-indulgent, delusional JACKASS.

Edited by Gunstar

Calm down. It's not worth it.

It's a riddle to me why C64 guys always were allowed to interfere the threads here, without consequences.

I remember being banned for some weeks, because I feared some other C64 guy jumps in to mix in the desease... while they'been rude and directly insulting people.

Also, the Pokey does better sound effects and guess what? I'd rather have good sound effects than synth "music." If the music was all I cared about, I'd turn the sound down and put on a CD instead!

OK another fool with blinkers AND earmuffs. +2 in nobhead club lol

So anyone else want to prove what a retard they are by adding more serious replies of an uneducated in ALL retro machines display if low intelligence?

Why is this attitude of "xxxxxxx is SH1T!" mentality found here yet other site have proper unbiased discussions REGARDLESS OF WHICH BRAND THE FORUM MAY BE A HOMAGE TO? *sad*

Can't really see evidence that either chip when programmed well is bad at SFX myself. OK Pokey can emulate the over used VCS booming explosion sound bollox but outside Star Raiders 2 type games that means fuck all to intelligent people who celebrate the differences especially people who's experience is of 1000+ games on ALL FORMATS *meh*.

Albert didn't make this site fo

Who is this JACKASS? I'm a "fool" and "retard" becuase I prefer the sounds of the Pokey over the SID, even if the SID is supposed to be more advanced? CD's are more "advanced" than vinyl records, but I still prefer the Vinyl too. Don't fix what ain't broken and just becuase something is newer and has more features does NOT mean it is better. I also prefer classic cars to modern ones. Go screw yourself you obnoxious, self-indulgent, delusional JACKASS.

No you got your nickers in a twist to defend Mr Underwhelming (emkay and his always crap uploads)

AND

You made an unsubstantiated claim re:sfx. Point about music on CD was about the music for sale on it. Hmmm Panther game soundtrack vs Bruce Springstein shit playing on CD and no game soundtrack.

Only a few like emkay think Pokey is best at everything in the world despite pretty much 90% of the tunes sounding 'Pokey'. If you're not an emkay ass licker then fine, but you came off as one of his groupies reading the post. Many games on both have excellent sound effects (all explained in the post)..

@emkay

It's your own fault you get banned. Many people have opinions based on demonstrable examples/experience....however you are just insecure fanboy who's "evidence" when rarely uploaded look like works of mentally challenged infants and we get the "comedy gold" and "rivers of piss" reaction after building up your bullshit theories.

After posting those pathetic music examples of yours to then go on and claim Pokey is better than SID and SID is inferior makes you look like a bit of a prick and by inference all the rabid Atari fans too.

At least the "never be able to be completed" Ghosts and Goblins A8 WIP video I linked to had awesome music.

Like I said, there is little wrong with SID when you can produce RAP/Electro/Trance/Synthpop/Classical instruments in SID songs. Your examples all have that disgusting VCS a like electronic fart in 90% of Pokey music for a start.

There is some great music on Pokey but you are not the one linking to them mate, so your air of superior knowledge just makes you look like that middle aged prick in sandals with a faded Atari Tshirt on at McDonalds LOL

You actually put people off Atari more than I do, I have lots of messages for the Atari related stuff I do than you haha strange world.

As for the CPC...it is a nuclear retina burning over saturated 27 colours, ZX spectrum 128k sound chip, no sprites, no DMA animation, no hardware scrolling and slower screen memory access than a ZX spectrum with a Zilog CPU. Oh and sound comes out of a 5 cent speaker in the keyboard not the TV. Choice of computer for retards (which was Amstrads main market...n00b truck drivers too thick to work out how to connect a computer to a TV aerial socket purchasing for their kids as Alan Sugar confirmed haha)

It's alright compared to MSX and Spectrum but technically it's a bit of a loser coming 4 years after the C64 SID and VIC-II mate. So once again you have proved YOU KNOW FUCK ALL ABOUT ANYTHING IN 8 BIT COMPUTING cheers :)

After posting those pathetic music examples of yours to then go on and claim Pokey is better than SID and SID is inferior makes you look like a bit of a prick and by inference all the rabid Atari fans too.

Not sure what your problems in real life were, but surely a psychiatrist could help you.

How can anyone get the reality that false?

At least the "never be able to be completed" Ghosts and Goblins A8 WIP video I linked to had awesome music.

Like I said, there is little wrong with SID when you can produce RAP/Electro/Trance/Synthpop/Classical instruments in SID songs. Your examples all have that disgusting VCS a like electronic fart in 90% of Pokey music for a start.

Remembering AYO Technologies. It never got a real hit. Possibly those SID sounds were too strange to people who liked real music.

Milow made a version of it, just playing the Guitar and made a hit with it.

There is some great music on Pokey but you are not the one linking to them mate, so your air of superior knowledge just makes you look like that middle aged prick in sandals with a faded Atari Tshirt on at McDonalds LOL

You actually put people off Atari more than I do, I have lots of messages for the Atari related stuff I do than you haha strange world.

Dream on.

As for the CPC...it is a nuclear retina burning over saturated 27 colours, ZX spectrum 128k sound chip, no sprites, no DMA animation, no hardware scrolling and slower screen memory access than a ZX spectrum with a Zilog CPU. Oh and sound comes out of a 5 cent speaker in the keyboard not the TV. Choice of computer for retards (which was Amstrads main market...n00b truck drivers too thick to work out how to connect a computer to a TV aerial socket purchasing for their kids as Alan Sugar confirmed haha)

Hehe.... I see, you know nothing.

It's alright compared to MSX and Spectrum but technically it's a bit of a loser coming 4 years after the C64 SID and VIC-II mate. So once again you have proved YOU KNOW FUCK ALL ABOUT ANYTHING IN 8 BIT COMPUTING cheers :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfZsoN4wrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcZ7-E7Mx-Y

Edited by emkay

You two guys, please STOP that SID vs. POKEY fanboy stuff for God's sake! We already had such a thread here like a hundred times. This thread is not about what chip is better, but how to interface a SID (or even a VIC for that matter) with an Atari 8 bit.

That said, it has been done before, but the Atari has a faster clock than the C64, so SID's sound was off.

• Like 2

You two guys, please STOP that SID vs. POKEY fanboy stuff for God's sake! We already had such a thread here like a hundred times. This thread is not about what chip is better, but how to interface a SID (or even a VIC for that matter) with an Atari 8 bit.

That said, it has been done before, but the Atari has a faster clock than the C64, so SID's sound was off.

You'd better have a look, why this happens. Look at the 1st post OKY2000 did in this thread. Check the situation and THEN write. Thanks.

About SID. It is a nonsense task to try to build this chip into the A8.

a) Any newer synth chip can do better and real music. So why not trying to build the EMU8000 in?

b) POKEY is good enough to suite 8 bit sounds. Just the needed software is missing.

[mentioning emkay] sod him anyway - he's not done anything in 20 years now and I don't see that changing in the near future...

You're biased. Last 8 years emkay did a lot (hundreds) of interesting graphics, sound, music & instrument examples. And what the heck did you do yourself?

...emkay and his always crap uploads)...

No one cares about your opinion, which is just inferior & subjective.

...It's your own fault you get banned...

Emkay didn't do any personal attacks at the time, whereas guys like you did. The reason why emkay got back his account was because his banning was a mistake.

...Only a few like emkay think Pokey is best at everything in the world despite pretty much 90% of the tunes sounding 'Pokey'...

...After posting those pathetic music examples of yours to then go on and claim Pokey is better than SID and SID is inferior makes you look like a bit of a prick and by inference all the rabid Atari fans too...

Nonsense. Nowhere you can find any comments, by emkay, that Pokey is superior to SID.

• Like 1

So, that's the real problem here. Discussing whether Pokey or SID is superior is not really the main topic here. The more C64-fan falsely says that emkay says that Pokey is better than SID, whereas nowhere you can find emkay really saying that, or any similar things.

• Like 1

sid chip is already available for atari as cartridge

it plays really nice, and was finnished just because i wanted to have something to compare my vhdl code with real thing in paralllel rather than listening to both (Real thing and recreation) one after another

this way its more efficient for me and i can work faster

side effect of this is you (as general public) have sid chip up and running on its basic frequency (1.022 for ntsc or 0.98 for pal) asynchronously to atari bus

that was the main challange (to get clocking right) for this project, so existing tunes for sid would require just minor work with patching players with another sid psychical address rather than frequency tables they use

novadays, anything that outdo sid, and there is even player for sid tunes on pokey, but thats not the point enteirly

for me it was just a matter of getting test platform for my code, and thus it got done

About SID. It is a nonsense task to try to build this chip into the A8.

a) Any newer synth chip can do better and real music. So why not trying to build the EMU8000 in?

Why use an Atari when you've got a quad-core 3GHz PC with 4GB of RAM and a terabyte of HDD in front of you? Same question...

And in reference to that 'what have you ever done?' question - I've just spread myself thin over lots of different 8 and 16-bit machines because i like exploring what they all do and not tying myself down to the C64/A8/whatever in a fanboyish frenzy. You should all try it a bit a walk a mile in other peoples shoes.

Edited by sack-c0s

hard sid is a PC cart containing SID chips...

and to be honest... can we not stop these meaningless fanboy "my chipset is better than yours" and using instead our creativity to push stuff out and get things done? And yeah, obviously the commie guys sometimes are teasing some people but well... to be honest... who cares? Pokey is good in sound fx and SID sometimes in music... so what? was this thread not ment to be how to connect a SID to A8?

• Like 1

hard sid is a PC cart containing SID chips...

and to be honest... can we not stop these meaningless fanboy "my chipset is better than yours" and using instead our creativity to push stuff out and get things done? And yeah, obviously the commie guys sometimes are teasing some people but well... to be honest... who cares? Pokey is good in sound fx and SID sometimes in music... so what? was this thread not ment to be how to connect a SID to A8?

:roll:

I asked other thing... but didn't get an answer, probably better to create an account at Lemon to see what answers I'll get about this:

"How to connect a POKEY to C64?"

And then wait for answers.... :sleep:

Or see how will I be received :twisted:

C64 guys with POKEY... A8 guys with SID would be funny but if C64 guys aren't interested why would we be interested?

Yes, I know... because we are the 'poor ones', always starve for new games, new stuff and always jealous and envy about C64 guys have all things :_( .

That's why this Threads always get into A8vsC64 ;)

Why not spend the time in a more usefull way (probably like some C64 guys are spending):

http://www.lemon64.c...pic.php?t=39788

:arrow: port to A8 :arrow: when?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

Didn't or doesn't SID live in a different set of memory locations to pokey

It only has 5 address lines and a chip select pin so it has just enough addressing to cover its registers.Any additional address decoding would need to be handled by interface logic. So really you can put it anywhere in the memory map you want.

Would would be interesting would be if you could feed the pokey output through the external input pin so you get a mixed pokey+SID output. I think this way you can even apply the SID filters to the pokey as well, but I'm not sure.

Why not spend the time in a more usefull way (probably like some C64 guys are spending):

It is extremely interesting how no one has any problems with it being cartridge only. and not a single-load 64k. From teh C64-guys here I got teh impression that on C64 only these games are welcome...

so jose, already asked the guy to help you convert it to A8? :) :P

It is extremely interesting how no one has any problems with it being cartridge only. and not a single-load 64k. From teh C64-guys here I got teh impression that on C64 only these games are welcome...

so jose, already asked the guy to help you convert it to A8? :) :P

No need to... because the P.C. version would look much better on A8... I had this for Months ;)

Just 4colour looking different 'Stone Levels' by now:

post-6517-0-13350500-1318253606_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-16454400-1318253617_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-77217000-1318253625_thumb.png

(some Back Rocks/Darker one re-design and add the 5th colour)

Wait and you'll see...

Only need the C64 sprites and they were done by STE86 some time ago (sure the ones used in the C64 game), have to ask him, but I think there's no problem.

:arrow:

I think the acceptance is down to the fact the original game was on the IIe which meant it had 128K of RAM.. If you read the thread on CSDB you can see there's people asking that same question..

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/forums/?roomid=7&topicid=87318&showallposts=1

Generally we do tend to multiload things from disk and brush tape users under the carpet a bit :) I think the single load and 64k issue was just related to one game because that's how the C64 version ran as opposed to the huge cart version of the A8 so it made the comparison seem a tad unfair.

You can probably say 'ahh - but how much RAM did the Apple version have?' and screw us with that line of questioning, mind...

So far as actually using cartridges is concerned they just plug into a stock machine and don't require any modifications, they were around back in the day so I don't really have an objections.

Edited by sack-c0s

Well,

no quoting nescessary - or is it ?!?

"We are the Atarians ! Existence, as you Commodores know it, is over. We will add your musical and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated !"

And so the SID chips and anything else we might find interesting about Commodore computers will be assimilated into Atari 8Bit machines. After everything else has failed, this is our last strike and finally we will get YOU Commodores !

Hey, this could turn into a script for Hollywood... ;-)

Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

just a thought... seeing as the SNES has a 65816 in there (essentially a 16-bit 6502) and it's SPC700 sound system is a second computer in its own right driving a soundchip and communicating through a couple of memory-mapped ports, wouldn't it be possible to strap one of those to your 6502-based machine of choice?

Bonus points for the fact that as SNES sound drivers are running separately on the sound computer itself then 'borrowed' tunes should just work if the whole thing is clocked at the same rate

just a thought... seeing as the SNES has a 65816 in there (essentially a 16-bit 6502) and it's SPC700 sound system is a second computer in its own right driving a soundchip and communicating through a couple of memory-mapped ports, wouldn't it be possible to strap one of those to your 6502-based machine of choice?

Bonus points for the fact that as SNES sound drivers are running separately on the sound computer itself then 'borrowed' tunes should just work if the whole thing is clocked at the same rate

Dunno if it is possible HW wise, I would find it not interesting, as teh SPC is sample based. We would have the same problems like the AMIGA, that you need to make your own samples.

The intresting part in SID is that it is a synth chip. The CPU part of the SPC is 6502-like, so maybe not fast enuff to do real soft synth. But I don't know for sure.

May I add something about the SID? After reading the interview with of SID-engineer I found it really strange that he never followed the way of the SID inside the C64. Seems like he wasn't as much in love with his baby as we are. Does anybody have ever read something similar about the POKEY-engineer?