This was a successful approach to use the pattern of the red, green, and blue subpixels of the LYNX display to effectively triple the horizontal resolution of monochrome fonts. To get the full effect of what I was trying to accomplish run testtext.bin.o on Handy in full screen Lynx LCD emulation mode. Press 1 to hflip the image which defaults to scale of 200 (x2) and you will notice that the colorful characters look pretty much the same when flipped. But cursor around and decrease the horizontal and vertical scale to 100 (x1) and the small letters become clearer, press "1" to hflip the sprite (you may need to slide it to the right a little) and it looks really screwed up when hflipped. I was inspired when I put the LCD into the unsupported monochrome mode and was rendering to monochrome subpixels. I just never got around to using it in a game.
Sprite rotation on the lynx using hskew and vskew. It looks like the vskew was done manually. It worked but it probably wasn't that fast, but it may have been able to rotate a playfield to make a game like Assault.
Here are my original sprite polygon routines and the same routines working with the Quartet driver. If you want to build the version with the music you will need the quartet.zip too.
I'm a little embarrassed by the grandiose comment in the source, not to mention my spelling but I left it - I was 22 and full of joy working at Atari.
Others also obviously came and made polygon drivers and games, but at the time I wrote these I hadn't heard of any. My good friend John Sanderson later wrote both Hard Drivin' and Steel Talons on the Lynx - quite miraculous.
Here are the sources and artwork to my extended or full color tests on the Lynx. It looks way better on the LCD and even on the captured VHS than on the emulator but I wouldn't want to use it as is in a game. It achieved 12 bit color by showing 4 bit red green and blue images in rapid succession. The problem was really that with each color only showing 1/3 the time the image was 1/3 as bright overall and flickery. If I were to try it again, I would do what Spectrum 512 did on the ST and create a bitmap and set of palettes designed to reload the palette on each line then "chase the beam" by setting colors mid-line. Of at least swap between three low color images to achieve more than 4 bit color resolution without sacrificing so much brightness. I think someone else has done that.