I have some updates about the SIO2BT app.
The new version 3.00 of the app was just released:
- it has improvements related to the file selection (a filter to narrow down the number of displayed matching files, useful when dealing with huge number of files)
- it does not have a Bluetooth MAC address database anymore and allows connections to any BT SPP devices (like HC-06) with names starting with "SIO2BT" or "ATARI"
- the app source code is released under GPL license: https://github.com/TheMontezuma/SIO2BT
- the apk file is also uploaded to the Github: https://github.com/T...3.00/Sio2Bt.apk
I would like to thank you guys again for your support over the last years.
Four years ago SIO2BT was submitted to the ABBUC contest and won the first price
And now I decided to release the source code and to remove MAC address database protection.
To be honest my decision was accelerated by a new Google security policy.
Starting 1 Nov 2018, there will be no updates allowed to the apps targeting older smartphones.
This means, the version 3.00 will probably be the last version available via Google Play.
I tested it on various Android devices:
- LG with Android 2.3
- Huawei with Android 4.0
- Nexus 5 with Android 6.0.1
- Pixel XL with Android 9
and I hope it will continue to work properly on your Android phones/tablets.
I also recommend a great Android port of the AspeQt (with Bluetooth support) from Greblus:
and the PC RespeQt software:
Although you can use now any BT transceiver with the SIO2BT app, I still have a limited number of devices in the 3D printed cases.