So I finally got back to getting my FidoNet messages on the BBS (the regional coordinator was having major problems and getting the telnet feed working was lower priority since I might be the only one still using it).
One of the messages that came through was about a dial-in project some guy is starting where people with old school modems can "dial in" to telnet BBS's. At this time it looks like they have Finland and Romania dial in numbers but it looks like some US people are thinking about setting one up (might look into that magic jack myself since my FidoNet NC was using it and said it worked fairly well for him).
Anyway, it seems we've come full circle.
SIMNET is a pun on (Simulated) Tymnet - basically we're trying to set up
dial-in access points that will enable old-skool modem users to access
Telnet BBSes via access points across the globe.
Want your telnet BBS to have (eventually a bunch of) dial up numbers
across the globe?
Send me an email to email@example.com with "SIMNET node application" as the
subject with the following details:
- BBS code (the user types this in to connect to your BBS, up to 8
- BBS name and description
- Telnet address and port
In the following format:
<CODE>|<name and description of the system>|<address of the system>|<port>
I'm interested in this too. I've been almost in the same boat. I've been collecting for a long time but never (until recently) lived in a place where I had the space to set up my collection.
I have 2 1200xls (among many others) so I was considering a U1mb, VBXE, (I already have SIO2PC, so was probably going to stick with that)... a MyIDE for the HD solution... I really want a real HD in there.... it's just my way.....
I'd really like to look into the 4mb upgrade I've heard about, but if that won't work with the Ultimate1mb, I guess that's ok. I have a couple MIO's, but if I used a MyIDE I guess I'd be ok (and use the MIO for the 800xls).
I really want to turn one of the 1200xl's into the ultimate A8 for development and get an 800 (don't have one yet) with an Incognito that hooks up to the big screen for gaming (got a 130xe for this now). My personal "from when I was a kid" 800xl is slated for a special BBS project.
The nice thing about the 1200... lots of space in the case.
Oh, and just for fun... a few weeks ago I was on DarkForce while Kirkman was on mine. I found it kind of amusing so I switched the pip on monitor 2 and took a picture.
(The blury stuff on the bottom of the second monitor was paintbrushing out some info obviously.......)
Of course, right after this, the BBS crashed because Final Frontier stopped working when I moved to the TT, but that's one of the games that is now giving me a "file not found" instead of a crash on the MSTE, so I should be able to fix it soon.
For quite awhile now (almost 3 years???) I've talked about getting the BBS back on the Mega STE and fixing all the things that I had trouble getting to work when I put it back up on the Falcon (and later the TT). The hope was once it was back on the MSTE many of those problems will have fixed themselves. There were also a lot of things I wanted to add (but didn't want to have to re-write/re-do them if they turned out not to work the same on the MSTE). Not to mention, I wanted to just basically overhaul the HD (that was my main HD back in the day, not just the BBS, so if I remove all the development and productivity stuff to other HD's, that will free up space for more things).
Unfortunately, due to a lot of moving around and big life changes, that hasn't happened... yet...
Which means there will be a bit of up/down as I work on things. I'll also be working on the website which hopefully, since the EtherNec seems to do a better job of playing nicely with the serial than the DynaLink did, will allow as much of a "real time status" as is possible. (I'll also try to remember to redirect the incoming connections to update messages when the system is down for improvements). Some things will hopefully be easy... like some of the games that were previously freezing, bombing, crashing to desktop, etc.... are now either working, or are at least giving me actual error messages so I can actually fix the problem!!!!
Been waiting for this for a long time. Too long.
(Technically, this isn't the SAME MSTE that I ran it on back in the 90's... that one is still MIA somewhere in storage... but don't tell the Hard Drive!)
After going back to school after 20+ years to finish my Computer Science degree, I was taking an Operating systems class with a professor about my age... sometimes the class would go off on a tangent and he and I would talk about the "good old days".... one day, after we had done this about 4-5 times throughout the semester, a kid in the back asked "so wait, Atari REALLY made computers? I thought you were just making that up!".
And that's probably why it never gets mentioned. It would be like doing a nature documentary and deciding to include Bigfoot.
You have your wifi router set up to authorize guests in the neighborhood. And you have a community BBS login as the front-end to it. Could be isolated from your internal network yet could connect across the net to other BBSes in a mesh type ad hoc network. Or, the router could host a BBS which could be telnetted to.
Not a bad idea... but most WiFi routers can't get much further past the next house or so. (At least, not in my area).
To actually get back to answering the question that you asked Lynxpro.... It looks like DualTerm supports ATASCII. I remember I used that terminal in the past, but in all honesty I have no memory of how well it handles it. But here is a place you can get it from. http://cd.textfiles....LECOMM/DTE_102/
You might be able to find other versions in other places.