Sys-Check II indeed does much more than any diagnostic cart can, and has benefits even for working machines.
- One DIP switch will disable the internal 64KB RAM and use the RAM on the sys-check instead, otherwise, it provides 512KB of extended RAM which can be used for RAMdisks, and 130XE style extended memory software (and modern demos)
- Another DIP switch disables the internal OS, and another DIP switch selects between 1 of 4 programmed OS's on the Sys-Check.
So with it attached, you can immediately see if the rest of the system is working with RAM and OS are supplanted. If you get the tester showing on the screen, then you also know your GTIA, ANTIC, and CPU are OK. It will work on 600XL, 800XL, 800XE, 130XE, and 65XE with ECI port. (will not work on 65XE with no ECI, 1200XL, or XEGS)
Current manual with all the details is here: http://www.van-radec...-Check_V2_2.zip
Nir Dary did a youtube video:
Quoting the overview from the manual:
The Sys-Check V2.2 external device offers this major functions:
- Diagnostic tool for dead computers without the need to open the case
- External O.S. (operating system) switcher (up to four O.S. can be selected by user)
- You can also put any standard ROM or EPROM containing Atari O.S.(s) in the DIP socket at Sys-Check´s PCB
- External 512 KB Standard memory expansion using „RAMBO“ scheme
- All future updates of the diagnostic tools can be easily flashed into the Flashchip with an easy-to-use flashtool using your Atari XL or XE
Great stuff - so much for trying to save some money this year and not ordering retro stuff!
- Stephen likes this