OK, NOT THAT DIFFERENT. But I did free up seven bytes of RAM, which is pretty huge. I finally wrapped my mind around supercat's fractional-position replacement - it was a little tricky because, unlike his example (16 speeds between 0 and 2 lines per frame) I wanted 64 speeds between 1/2 and 2 lines per frame (LPF). I ended up going with 64 speeds between 1/2 and 2 1/2 LPF, using a counter which goes from 0 to 32 and a 128-byte table (i.e., thirty-two 32-bit entries). I realized about halfway through coding this that, since my counter tops out at a power of two, I could just use the frame counter (which is a byte of RAM that is decremented every frame, going from 255-0 continuously). So I ended up saving all seven bytes which were being used for fractional elevator position.
So no apparent changes except that all the elevators except the slowest are a little bit faster: ElevRep20061109.bin