With Juno First nearly done, I have started to think about my next Atari 2600 game project. I don't have anything decided yet, but these are the various projects that I have been considering:
- Prince of Persia - I wrote a reasonable kernel for this a few years ago. However, the main issue is that it requires extra RAM and there aren't any such carts available yet. The other issue is the massive sprite requirements of the game. Le Geek made a good start on the sprites a while back, but there doesn't seem much point continuing until the hardware issue is resolved.
- JetPac - my earlier Jetman 1K game was a limited attempt at a port of JetPac. However, a full port should be possible on the 2600 (probably with a lot of flicker).
- Millenium 2600 - I am a big fan of the game Millenium 2.2 on the Atari ST. I should be possible to do a similar simulation on the 2600 using an AtariVox/SaveKey to hold the game state. However, it would probably be a text-only game, and I think that might put people off?
- Juno Second - I've got various ideas that might make for a good Juno Second, e.g. more aliens, aliens attacking from behind (with rear shooting), two-player mode, missions. However, Juno First already pushed the limits of the hardware, and any extension would likely require extra RAM.
- Armor Attack - A port of the Vectrex game Armor Attack should be possible, with a bit of creative sprite work and some AI. However, I'm a bit concerned that it is too similar to Combat?
- Hunchback - A full port of the Hunchback arcade game should be possible, but it will be rather similar to my existing Hunchy minigame.
- Pssst - A port of the Spectrum game Pssst may be possible with a bit of creativity.
I haven't made any decision yet, so let me know if you have any preference from the above list, or any more ideas for games?