Blogs

Tracks

I've been working on Chris the Cranberry again today. While I was, I had a few instances where the entire screen flashed. I've had that happen before in games, but in this one, I wasn't doing much computing in it, or at least I thought I wasn't. But I think I have it squared away. I figured out my problem last night and I worked on it today and found another problem. But I think I solved it.   Here's what I am going to do. I will put the game's engine in the first 1k and the track info

atari2600land

atari2600land

Names from Conquest of the New World

I always wonder if the names from Conquest of the new world are real.     After a little researches from wikipedia, few names are from military.   Don George: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dom_George_Franck   Lady Marsha: from a recent actress?  http:// https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha_Fitzalan   Lord William: http:// https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_William_Bentinck   Sir Gregory: http:// https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Greg

Serguei2

Serguei2

A World Record Achieved That Does Me Little Good, Currently

Game Go Fish! System Atari VCS/2600 Difficulty A/Expert (A/A) Score 5,914   I'll be officially submitting this score soon. I'm currently having technical problems with the photos that I took with my Smart Phone. Since the most recent Microsoft Update photos will not import from this phone to our PC. However, they appear in our Amazon Photos account automatically as before. I tried saving them to our PC from the cloud, however they didn't save as standard .JPEG files. The

cessnaace

cessnaace

One-track mind?

So I ran into a bit of a problem while coding. It has to do with data tables. And how to make code that advances the variable that reads it. Because I've tried everything and I can't seem to do it. Last night I made a poster for the game. And I have been working a lot on it. I figured a data table would be the route to go with this game because I want the tracks to be somewhat long in length. I played Excitebike last night searching for ideas. That led to a zipper thing that I added i

atari2600land

atari2600land

How to get out of work early (Never Again!)

How to get out of work early (Never Again!)

Yesterday I had the privilege of adding something to my “Never Again” list, a list I just created of things that I never want to do/experience again, and at work no less. It seemed like it was going to be a slow night, I had finished all of my set tasks and had just finished my break, I had noticed that about halfway through one of my coworkers had come in and raided the first aid cabinet, I figured he’d cut his finger or something and thought nothing of it. When my break ended I decided to use

DoctorSpuds

DoctorSpuds

My entertainment budget is close to $0.00

I only make a little over $30k/year, and up to now it's been ok, since I'm childless, I've usually had a decent entertainment budget for myself. The escrow on my house went up over $200 a few months back because they miscalculated the insurance amount, so I have to build the escrow back up. It will go back down next year, but in the meantime  I'm getting strapped for video game spending.   I recently was married to my now wife Amber, and she's definitely helping  with the bills and stu

Nuclear Pacman

Nuclear Pacman

Star Wars: The Arcade Game 5200 (Parker Brothers)

Star Wars: The Arcade Game 5200 (Parker Brothers)

Long has this game eluded me, but now I have it in my possession, sort of. I’ve really wanted to get my hands on Star Wars: The Arcade Game for a long while but the price has always been a prohibitive factor, mainly due to it being a late release Parker Brothers game coupled with a big IP driving the prices up dramatically. It seems though that I’ve been after the wrong version the whole time, because as I was focusing on the 2600 version, as I tend to do, I has completely neglected the other ve

DoctorSpuds

DoctorSpuds

Chris

So I thought I'd do another Odyssey 2 game. To see if I still could make an Odyssey 2 game. So I made a title screen: So I made this, and then wondered what to make the game about. Since an adventure game would be too complicated, and I needed something non-random seeing as how I'm using something that apparently disables me being able to use random functions somehow, I thought and thought. The result: Make it a racing game, like Excitebike (or, since after all I am atari2600land, Mot

atari2600land

atari2600land

Jaguar

So it looks like I won't be getting a JagSD cartridge. The reason? The price. It's too expensive. I could understand $100. But $170? That's too much for me. Is there a reason behind the exorbitant price? I want to work on Aaron the Aardvark again but I need some new backgrounds. I got out my Jaguar and after getting a red screen of death a few times got a game to work. Is it just me or is everything Jaguar really expensive? It shouldn't be. How many Jaguar consoles were sold? Wikipedia says 250,

atari2600land

atari2600land

Robot Tank (Activision)

Robot Tank (Activision)

When I was just getting into the 2600 I was still ignorant to the complexity that some games managed to achieve. So imagine my surprise when I plopped Robot Tank into my 2600 for the first time. It is quite clear that Robot Tank was made to be Activision’s answer to Atari’s Battlezone, and it really feels like it. Also reading the back of the box, this game apparently takes place in October 2019, so it is the perfect time for me to review it. Funnily enough, the prediction of a robotized militar

DoctorSpuds

DoctorSpuds

Between Cacti

I was working on Frank the Fruit Fly again today. I wanted to make it so when Frank went between two cacti. The one in yesterday's picture. Since there's three, I needed to make a way for the game to know which duo of cacti Frank went between and which he hasn't. The answer involved making him go between the right set first and then the left set, thus unlocking the screen so he can continue. But that wasn't all. I had a heck of a time trying to make it so Frank couldn't fly into a cactus from ab

atari2600land

atari2600land

Insering a miniSD card .... Not in good way

I inserted a miniSD card in my mp3 player.   Then I tried to play new songs. The mp3 player does not reconise the sd card.   I checked and I noted the sd card is not inserted.   I took a look at the desk and the floor. Nothing.     Weeks later, the mp3 player makes noises when I shake it.   I realised the SD card must be inside it somehow.   I can't find a way to retrieve it without ruining my mp3 player.   Instead,

Serguei2

Serguei2

setting up and fixing TI-99/4a & P-Box: PART 1

I recently got a beige TI-99/4a with a bad keyboard. Fortunately got it real cheap.  The problem it had was just a few keys worked. So I took it apart, checked the keyboard, the traces and everything looked OK. Posted the issue on the forum and it was suggested the keyboard processor was bad. A few weeks ago at the ATX TI fest I got a new processor and I have just now gotten around to installing the new keyboard processor and.... the new processor is worse off then the old one. the computer just

hloberg

hloberg

Cartridge of the week....

No, there isn't such thing as "Cartridge of the Week Club" but there almost should be.    When I bought my light-sixer a couple months ago, I decided that I would just collect the cartridges that I really wanted: Pac-Man, Breakout, Missile Command, Berzerk, Asteroids, and Adventure. That was it.   But then, eBay lots came into play. I bought my first lot just because it was cheaper to get Adventure with a few throw-ins than it was to buy Adventure by itself. But now that I ha

Baron Von Jerkface

Baron Von Jerkface

Frank and cacti

Last time we left Frank, he was flying around in the desert. Since then, he came along some cacti. Or at least they're supposed to be cacti. I can't draw very well. And I spent a whole hour refining this image until I got to the point where I got sick and tired of doing it so I've decided to keep it like this: And I have an idea of what Frank is supposed to do in this screen. I had to quit working on the game because I had no ideas. But then last night, while laying in bed trying to s

atari2600land

atari2600land

James Bond: 007 5200 (Parker Brothers)

James Bond: 007 5200 (Parker Brothers)

Confusing licenses are the bread and butter of obscure games. Very few companies in the early days of gaming actually tried to tackle non-arcade licenses, with only 20th Century Fox, Atari, and Parker Brothers doing it in any quantity. The names these companies took just boggles the mind, box office bombs like Mega Force and Krull, movies that have been out of the public eye for years like Fantastic Voyage and Planet of the Apes, and comic book characters like Spiderman and the Incredible Hulk w

DoctorSpuds

DoctorSpuds

ADAM REPAIR

Picked this up for parts but WHO KNEW IT WOULD BE THIS BAD. Was this in someones garage, under water...In a Swamp? Ridiculous I know but me being me I picked this up for around $75 with free shipping. Just the CPU which the case is slightly maimed but I have another case as well as aluminum shielding. These are the innards.             Why YES....I can After some trace repair and a capacitor

Mike Harris

Mike Harris

Xenophobe 7800 (Atari)

Xenophobe 7800 (Atari)

Alright we’re back with the 7800 and with a game that I’ve already reviewed the 2600 version of. Xenophobe was an arcade success back in 1987, with a classic premise and a cool gimmick it was sure to guzzle quarters like nobody’s business. Because of its popularity Xenophobe found its way into being ported on many home consoles and computers of the time even if there was absolutely no way they could run it, hell, even the ZX Spectrum got a port of it. But I’m focusing on the 7800 port and one th

DoctorSpuds

DoctorSpuds

E.

So birthday present list making time has rolled around once again. This time I'm going to ask for a couple of books that don't have the letter E in them. There are only a couple of them. You can read more about what is called a "lipogram" on the page I made for them http://atari2600land.com/e/ It includes my work-in-progress one I'm working on. And to make sure, after every page I complete, I do a search for 'e'. I haven't had a time yet where I didn't need to go back and fix my occasional

atari2600land

atari2600land

TAKL

Well, I'm officially 'status pending' for being a TAKL provider. If you don't know, TAKL is an app where people can hire regular joe handy-men to do household tasks at a price that is pre-set. I've signed up to be a provider, since I know a few things about maintaining a house and yard work. I'm really hoping this opens up a decent supplemental income for me, as my full-time job, which I've been at for almost 25 years, just isn't paying enough anymore. My raises haven't kept up with cost of livi

Nuclear Pacman

Nuclear Pacman

Stayin' Alive

I had this dream where I was making an album of Beatles songs set to disco music. I woke up and thought to myself, "man that was weird, but there's an idea in there." So I began today to make disco Christmas carols. Researching "Jingle Bells" lyrics, I had no idea there were 3 additional verses to it. Mr. Pierpont certainly went a little overboard. Right now I am listening to the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever while I'm typing this. I think I'll add a string section to Deck the Halls. And I

atari2600land

atari2600land