Blogs

Let there be light!

So I finally got the chance to go to Lowe's to get that dumb light bulb I needed. I had to ask the guy where they were. They came in a two pack, so I'm all set for the next 7 years (I got the previous one in 2016). I also had a little bit of trouble trying to get the dumb light bulb into where it is supposed to be plugged into. Five minutes later, after fighting with a light bulb, I got it in. And it works. Now that dumb lamp can go back in the attic. Hooray. Now it's light in here. I didn't kno

atari2600land

atari2600land

RE: My Tragic C64 incident

RE: My Tragic C64 incident

RE: Commodore 64. Reading a thread regarding a members current issues with the Vic-20 reminded me of this 😉 Once (I learned a lesson 😎 well, sort of) back in the early days, my first C64, the classic breadbox model, I loved it so, I even painted the case a cool shiny BLACK with spray paint. NOTE: Image show is not mine and included for descriptive purposes only. Sadly, I had more balls than knowledge and was always tinkering, wanting to see the guts of a machine etc. Do you know where this is go

OldSchoolRetroGamer

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Weird Staged Ellen Video

Weird Staged Ellen Video

Have you seen this weird staged Ellen video from March 27, 2020?   youtu.be/RA9EgZvOnVo     For those who don't want to watch the short video, Portia de Rossi is cooking food in the kitchen and Ellen tries to keep Portia in view the whole time as she shows some LEGO Architecture sets. Ellen shows us the Great Wall of China and Dubai sets first, then she says "Oh my God, look at that one" while picking up the Trafalgar Square box. The last one Ellen shows us is 

Random Terrain

Random Terrain

It's April 1.

I've been sitting here in the dark for about a week now. I've been up all night and asleep all day so I can't get to go to Lowe's to get that special light bulb I need. Mom brought down a lamp from the attic that looks like it's a million years old, but it still works, so I've been using that to light up the room.   To keep myself busy and to keep me from not go insane, I have been working on my various projects still. I have begun a new one from my love of crossword puzzles. I plan to

atari2600land

atari2600land

The Retro Gaming Experience

Creating the Retro Gaming Experience   To me, sitting infront of a flat screen TV using some emulator and a wireless controller didn't really provide me with the best Retro Gaming experience. In fact, it was far from the truth when it comes to actually capturing what it was like to play these retro games.   So a few years ago I decided to create my own Retro Gaming experience by creating a retro gaming nook. This would take a lot of patience and hunting. Though I had plenty o

Skwrl63

Skwrl63

I'm on a Saturn kick

I'm on a Saturn kick

Sega's 3rd party released Panzer Dragoon Remake for Switch, which I don't own and don't really intend to buy right now.   I've always been a bigger Sega fan than an Atari fan.  I almost picked up a Switch when the newer Virtua Racing came out last year, but didn't.    So I dug out my Saturn from the closet o'doom and hooked it up.  I have to use composite with my Panasonic 42" Plasma since it doesn't support S-video. I see there are Saturn Component and HDMI cables and I'm looking into

Cafeman

Cafeman

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Remember, if phones suddenly have limited functionality and the Internet stops working for everyone starting sometime between March 30, 2020 and April 10, 2020, it will probably only last 3 days. Don't worry. Don't panic. It may not even happen, but if it does, you can be a calming influence for your family, friends, and any freaked out neighbors. Just tell them to stay home and play cards or board games or enjoy other activities that might help them deal with their social media withdrawal sympt

Random Terrain

Random Terrain

Burgers - 3/27/2020

Work on the Hamburgers game resumed. I had composed a song with the program I use to make Game Gear music with, but when I went to put the song in, it wasn't playing. As it turned out, I have to make it at the loudest volume (15) and then set it to my desired volume (8) using the game's code and not the music-making program. I must have spent like an hour trying to figure it all out, but then I got an idea about the volume. You never know with stuff like this. Some weird thing you don't know any
Games to Avoid

Games to Avoid

Warning!   Some modern video games might cause you to theorize about all of the possible ways your enemies could be conspiring against you. Do not play those games if you want to avoid thinking like a conspiracy theorist! We all know that conspiracy theorists are the worst people in the world! It's a fact! Google it!   You might also want to avoid chess. Thinking ahead more than one move could lead to thinking like a conspiracy theorist. If you want to fit in and be normal li
Return of the burgers

Return of the burgers

So someone on SMSPower forums was kind enough to help me and discovered my problem. So I was able to fix it. That's great. Now I can continue work on it. I worked on it for a few hours this morning. The light bulb in my room burned out, and it's a special one, so we have to go to Lowe's, which their website surprisingly said was open. Now we just need to find a time to go, which is hard since it's nephew sitting time since school is out.   I fear though that I may have made the game to
Emergency Alert System Test Was Unreadable

Emergency Alert System Test Was Unreadable

While watching TV on March 25, 2020, an Emergency Alert System Test came on during the commercials and it had white text scrolling inside of a light green bar. We couldn't read the text. Whoever is in charge of that might want to take a look at this page: Readability and Backgrounds.   Here's what it looked like:       Here is a closer view of the white text in the light green bar:       They better change that to black on light green

Fruit fly fun

So the stupid wheel on my mouse broke. It really is annoying when you're so used to spinning it and have something happen so it's jarring to spin it and have nothing happen. Anyway, I had to give up on the Hamburgers game since apparently I can't straighten out sound effects. Sometimes they don't play. So I'm going to give up on it and go back to Frank the Fruit Fly. I made this screen a couple of days ago. I was having so much fun with ideas that were new that I forgot the simpler aspects of th

Coding Motivation

Motivation for projects can come and go, and is hard to predict much less control. One odd thing I noticed is that there was a feature I had been meaning to add to my WIP Atari 2600 game, and when I realized that it would actually be a pain in the rear to implement it, I suddenly had the motivation get it done. Unfortunately, that doesn't work with everything else in my life, however.   When I was with my ex wife, I did the cooking, and she tried a lot of different diets. I noticed tha

Karl G

Karl G

Digitizing 8-bit sound with the PO-33 K.O!

Digitizing 8-bit sound with the PO-33 K.O!

Teenage Engineering's PO-33 K.O! is an 8bit sampler.  If you don't own an 8-bit computer, this statement might seem a bit restrictive but it can handle sampling much more then just 8 bit sound sources.    A YouTube search of "PO-33 KO" can provide a plethora of videos on the subject.       I've had mine for a few months and am just now finding the free time to play with it.  The video is a first attempt at a loop using samples from the Atari 130XE.  The MP3 is the s

k-Pack

k-Pack

Hamburgers

So I have been working all this time on my Hamburgers game for the Game Gear. Day turning into night, going to sleep at midnight with the game broken, waking up at 1 p.m., going back to work on it, and then one moment came when I was testing the game, I had figured out what the stupid problem was. Stupid me had set the hamburger's x position off screen so it wasn't showing up. AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!   But that still didn't explain some stuff, though, like why was it that when I pressed up, t

Cruizin' Instagram - Art of Sponge Fox - March 2020

When I opened my mailbox, naturally there were several hundred messages I didn't ask for.  That is just the nature of my inbox, so I have filters to save the good stuff for me.   But I look through that sea of political messages, warning messages about spam, that are spam, and sometimes something I want will be in there.   And I got a message from Sponge Fox on Instagram.   And here is what I saw...     Awwww.... no doubt!      What an awesome picture.  And 💕 back to you old

doctorclu

doctorclu

Don't give up!

I have to look at all this and say this: How can this not be total control of the world by China via fearmongering? They brainwashed most of the people, telling us over and over again that this all: "social distancing", closing down shops, grocery stores running out of toilet paper, is just due to a virus? We've had similar viruses, e.g. Zika, Spanish Flu, etc. But they didn't close down nearly everything. Schools were open, sports were being played. China sought control over the USA and the res

The Emulator Zone

Yes, here is another short blog post after years of neglect. Where have I seen this before? Nevermind. Due to having to stay indoors much more recently due to COVID-19, I'm finding myself with a bit more time to spend gaming. Which is actually pretty nice, after all. Not that I haven't done much of it recently, but it's nice to get back to doing more of something that you enjoy doing. Given that I'm long separated from most of the gaming hardware that I own, I'm having to rely on emulators for a

Sauron

Sauron