Blogs

Fireworks

Oregon is a backwards state. We can't pump our own gas, there's no sales tax, and fireworks that go more than 12 feet in the air or explode are illegal. But if you're near the border of Washington like I am, that doesn't stop fireworks enthusiasts from obtaining illegal ones and they light them off anyway. Creating big huge thunderous booms. Here it is, the night of July 2, and there are people lighting them off. I can hear them. Our poor dog has to suffer because she's scared of them. Tomorrow,

atari2600land

atari2600land

MrBoehm - Updated Schmatic

David is still working on layout out the PCB, but in the meantime he sent me an updated MrBoehm Schematic. This version supports up to two 2600/7800 controller ports and up to four 5200 controller ports. Schematic_MrBoehm_Wiring_2020-07-02.pdf

flickertail

flickertail

Quite Possibly The Worst Game I've Ever Played (Double Dragon Arcade)

I've played a lot of bad games, and for most, I can find something to enjoy. But with Double Dragon (Arcade), I can't find anything good to talk about besides the music (which you can listen to on YouTube so don't bother playing the game to listen to it).   Let's start off with the visuals. Now, for 1987 the graphics aren't terrible, but why does everything look off? I look at an Abobo and it looks like oatmeal. Then you have the controls which are very slippery and delayed. I don't kn

Magmavision2000

Magmavision2000

12 years for this?

Twelve years ago, Nine Inch Nails released a double album called "Ghosts I-IV". Twelve years ago, I eagerly awaited the next installment. Years pass. I decided to make my own sequel. So today I made two new songs for my sequel. I go to the Nine Inch Nails website just because I wondered what Trent and Atticus were up to. To my surprise, they had finally decided to make two new Ghosts albums. I was all ready to pay and get them, but to my surprise, they were absolutely free. (After a huge downloa

atari2600land

atari2600land

Cruizin' FFT - The Hidden Room (Level 6) - July 2020

In 2012 Jeremiahjt was looking at the 6th level map file from Fractured Furry Tales (shown below) and noticed there was a mystery room to the upper right.   Many started to wonder the mystery of what was in this strange room.   While a warp door could get you to the upper room in the middle, no gate was found to get to the mystery room.   (I want to add, game producer Faran Thomason and programmer Anderw Seed were asked about the room and they were equally puzzled.)   

doctorclu

doctorclu

Bubsy in Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind, Official Trailer (Remake)

Bubsy in Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind, Official Trailer (Remake)

Here's my remake or should I say restoration of Bubsy in Claws Encounters Of The Furred Kind, Official Trailer from 1993.       Here's the original trailer:    I hope you like my remake of it.   It was a lot of work to do, a lot of redraws, making new footage, editing and a lot research. It was a fun work but also a hard one. Anyway, I hope you like it.      

Busby the Bobcat

Busby the Bobcat

Bubsy commercials (1993-2019)

Bubsy commercials (1993-2019)

This is a compilation of Bubsy commercials from 1993 to 2019. There's no commercial for Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales or for Bubsy 3D. Right now, Bubsy 1 and 2, Bubsy: The Woolies Strikes Back and Bubsy: Paws on Fire! are the only ones who got commercials. Right now, I found 10 of them. Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind got the most with 5 commercials and the less got Bubsy 2 with only 1 commercial.   The only other dubbed Bubsy commercial is in Spanish, that

Busby the Bobcat

Busby the Bobcat

A couple hours for this? (part 2)

I improved the 7800 program I had. I added some music and changed the font to resemble my own handwriting more. I still don't know what to do with the program though. It most likely will be a title screen, but what will the game be about? It was a little work drawing 62 letters and numbers in Photoshop and "correcting" them but I think I did a good job of it. Am wondering why more games don't use a white title screen like this. If white web sites are the best ones to look at, then why

atari2600land

atari2600land

MrBoehm - Fast Boot OS for Raspberry Pi Zero

Just got off the phone with an Operating System expert consultant I hired through UpWork.   For Mr. Boehm to really be usable, the OS for the Pi Zero will require a static file system and boot in under 8 seconds, with an ideal boot time of less than 2 seconds... in order to power the Mr. Boehm environment  off the Atari joystick ports.   Short version of our conversation, is that the consultant thinks it could be done based on Raspberry Pi blog posts he's read such as: h

flickertail

flickertail

A couple hours for this?

Making this in 7800 BASIC should not take TWO HOURS. I am going to add fancy title screen music. (Well, as fancy as you can get with TIA.) And then what, I don't know. I started out with a fancy actual pineapple. But color #1 did not want to show up. And then I thought "OK, this is ugly. I'd be better off drawing a pineapple." So I did. Color #1 in the palette still wasn't showing up. So I did a work around. I made color 1 insignificant and used the other colors. And I was also h

atari2600land

atari2600land

Koffi 2020

Trying to refresh my skills using DASM , I started to make little tweaks to 2002's Koffi: Yellow Kopter.   So far, did these things:   removed y2k-compliant bootup code (the Atari fuji symbol w/multicolors). Freed up some ROM and the game boots immediately to Koffi's title screen now.  modified the hues of the raindrops to a more blue hue. Using hues $B4/$B8, the raindrops looked green on emulators although looked bluish on my orig 5200 and on ancient emulator VSS.   NTSC col

Cafeman

Cafeman

Level 6

Yesterday I began working on the level intro to level 6 of Frank the Fruit Fly. It was more work than normal. Since there are 32k code divisions, I have been just reentering bits of code used by each level and just changing the labels to say "level_6" instead of "level_5". It seems to be working out good. So I'll continue doing that. While working on this, I hit a milestone. Well, sort of. I wanted to know if anything would change once it reached 128k. So I called one screen in two different lab

Ghost Chamber (2009, PC Game) Revisited

[#047] for the record, i wrote up this blog last night and something happened with my browser so i lost the whole thing. typing it all up again here..   Alright, so a blog or two ago I mentioned that a Qbasic game I had programmed wouldn't compile into a stand-alone EXE file correctly. I couldn't remember exactly what the error was so I tried to compile it once more to refresh my memory. The win condition was what was causing trouble; it was way too long, so i segmented it down to seve

bomberpunk

bomberpunk

Picking up where life left off....

Picking up where life left off....

So, as I've mentioned before, I've recently come back to Atari 8 bit computing after decades away.  Currently I don't actually have any of my old hardware, other than 520ST.  I am in the progress of procuring some old hardware in the form of an 800XL and supporting hardware(possible disk drives/SIO solution/display/etc).     One of the goals I have set for myself is to *finally* do some programming for the old 800XL.  I did BASIC back in the day on my old 400/800XL, when I was a kid. 

The sequel had arrived!

For the past month and a half I have been furiously writing a sequel to my first story. I finished it several days ago and it is now live on the site! Currently it is just a first draft, its rough around the edges but I feel it gets the story across. Now I'm just gonna focus on shorter stories because juggling over 25 named characters gets really exhausting and I just want to do something simple for a while. I wrote the story with almost no roadmap, I just knew where the story sta
Monster Bug on the Sidewalk

Monster Bug on the Sidewalk

My sister and I were in Greensboro, North Carolina yesterday and on our way out of a Sweet Frog frozen yogurt place, there was a huge black bug on its back, right next to the front door on the sidewalk. The twitching beetle had large mandibles that looked like pincers (some might call them pinchers). It was our first time seeing a bug like that out in the real world (some might call the "real world" a highly advanced holographic computer simulation). Here's a picture of the beetle:  

Out of the chimney.

Last time we left Frank the Fruit Fly, he was in a chimney. The only way out was to go up into the top and out the hole. I made a screen for what happens after he does that. We discover flies flying up into the sky. They just won't stop. Luckily there is a space between the flies so Frank won't get too harmed by them. I discovered Frank always gets harmed when moving to the right when I have it like this. The flies' speed makes that happen. But if you are a good player at the game, it

in the market for a new car

[#046] spent the whole day at three different car dealerships with my dad, looking for a newish used SUV to replace my 2005 Saturn. i learned quickly from the first lot i went to that the listings on Carfax aren't up to date. the vehicle (2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus) i went to check out had been sold a week ago. wasn't their fault; the dealerships don't remove the listings, but rather submit them as Sold to the, uh, Carfax people.   prior to my current obsession with JCL+, i did a

bomberpunk

bomberpunk