Blogs

Hamburgers fixed.

Bad news: We have to replace the "dinosaur" ac/furnace. Good news: I spent some time trying to fix my Game Gear game "Hamburgers En Route To Switzerland 2", and I think I fixed it.   I forgot what the problems were, but after fiddling with the code and running it, I got rid of the problems up until the boss part. If you died at the boss part, it made the 'boss got hit' noise when the action resumed. So a bit more fiddling with the code fixed that. I think the problems were with th

atari2600land

atari2600land

Yet Another C Compiler - The Long Slow Process of Progress

I've been working on and off for the past several weeks and I've made some progress; which can, at times, seem like a lot.  Other times, this all still seems to very much be a daunting task.   When I started writing this entry, I realized I should probably give a general overview/background of how this compiler works under the covers.  Here is a basic outline of the process that the compiler follows:     (1)  Input files are run thru a handwritten Recursive Descent parser to

splendidnut

splendidnut

Art imitates life again.

I have this weekly webcomic. It is a lot like the Far Side. I sent it to syndicators but they turned me down. I thought it was pretty funny, I guess they didn't. Anyway, yesterday was a horrible day. My toilets weren't working. This started at about 10 a.m. I had to go down to the clubhouse a couple of times to use their toilets. Someone came to help at about 5 p.m. after we called for help. They fixed it. I was so glad. That little episode inspired this comic, to be posted on my comics website

atari2600land

atari2600land

Success!

So I finally worked for a few hours and finally got my TI 84+ responding to the computer. But the bad news is the software used to make assembly files is too old and won't respond to 64-bit Windows computers. So I went back to work on my Basic program. A plus sign multiplying itself while trying to avoid an asterisk doesn't really make for good gaming, so I guess I'll go back to working on my other stuff. When that cable comes I am going to try TILP with it. TI Connect software only s

atari2600land

atari2600land

How TI-pical

So I woke up at about midnight. Not very rare, I often wake up in the middle of the night. But this time was different. I decided to start programming the TI-84+. Spent two hours trying to hook up the thing to the computer with a regular USB cable. Nothing was working. I apparently need a special one. So I began looking for it. No success. So I bought one off of eBay. It was only $5. And it's supposed to come June 4. (I want it NOW though!) So apparently it's either find the one I had or wait un

atari2600land

atari2600land

Draconian and Baby Pacman - Progress!

The last week was a source of frustration, as I could not get the ADG715 SPST switches to behave as expected. When the switches were closed, they worked just fine, but when they were open, they intermittently "closed". There was voltage bleed over, which meant that the Atari 7800 was seeing random JS input.   Come to find out, the Raspberry Pi GPIO power was bleeding into the switches. The solution, was to double-ground (one ground to Atari ground, one ground to GPIO ground) 1 of the 8

flickertail

flickertail

The Wonderful Wizard of Game

No, no YouTube video. You deserve better. Today I'm going to talk about what came in the mail. I finally got my copy of Lady Frog for the Odyssey2, but that isn't what I'm going to talk about. I also got something called a Game Wizard. It came with three cartridges. Mine is Star Wars-themed. I know nothing about Star Wars, but that was the only choice I had. Looking through eBay I saw a Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers-themed one and a VR Troopers-themed one. I wonder what would happen if I put a M

atari2600land

atari2600land

Attack of the Wuzzles!

I was looking through the special section of last Sunday's paper. Our local newspaper is owned by USA Today for some reason. Sometimes we get these special sections filled with puzzles. I came across these things called "wuzzles." I googled it and sure enough, it is a thing. I think it's a portmanteau for "word puzzles." I mean, how else could you get the name wuzzle? Anyway, a loooong time ago (like when I was a kid), I remember starting this book of some, but I didn't know what they were calle

Strips, Cards, Manuals, Labels, 3D Objects & More! - Updated (05/24/2020)

This is not my usual blog entry. This is more of a CHEAT SHEET to links that can be hard to find of downloadable books, manuals, keyboard strips, reference cards, etc. Clicking on the links will take you to the message where the item is available for download. Added  "ARTWORK" category near the bottom.   3D PRINTER FILES   32K & TIPI Case CF7+ 3D Case    CartShells Speech Synthesizer Enclosure Texas Instruments LOGO Coaster   Of

Triggered by historical inaccuracies! [Spoiler Alert]

I just had to blog this. But spoiler alerts are due. So, if you haven't watched Seasons 3 or 4 of The Last Kingdom and intend watching it, feel free to come back later.   I love historical shows and movies. An extreme example of what I've witnessed in The Last Kingdom was the Starz show, Black Sails. This was where the writers came up with a historical setting and shoehorned characters from books and actual historical pirates into the show. It was never intended to be historically accu

Jaguar mood

Today I'm in the mood for the 64 bits of powa. I worked on Zyx Game Collection #1 even though it has practically no chance of getting released ever. I wonder if Songbird would like to? Just to make sure my Jaguar worked, I plugged it in, plugged the cord to my TV, and pressed the button. The power light didn't light up. So I tried again. Nothing. I was beginning to think my Jaguar had died after each attempt. I unplugged it, made sure the power strip was plugged in, made sure it was plugged in f
How fast is Bubsy??

How fast is Bubsy??

For so many years, Bubsy fans wondered: how fast is Bubsy the Bobcat? Well, I've finally cracked the code! I've finally discovered how fast he is and I'm happy to show you all.   So here we go:   First, we have to know, how to calculate speed. Which is easy to calculate by dividing distance with time.   For this problem, we'll use Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind, level 1. Why?   1. I chose his first game, because in other Bubs

New PC - now with Windows 10!

One side effect of trying to install SteamOS is realizing doing the base install & updates while hardwired is a pretty good idea.  However, I did take the advice of JayZ and disconnect the PC from the network for the initial install to avoid having the Admin user tied to an email address.  I've also created individual normal users for each member of the family.   The actual Windows 10 install & update went smoothly.    Then came the big test - I installed Steam, CS:GO

EricBall

EricBall

The process of getting stupid

Or perhaps it's just a case of using too much brain power. I finally solved the last 4 puzzles of Polarium on the DS. Without using a cheat sheet. I was so frustrated back then that I had to resort to one back when it was new. But now, only using hints, I solved the last 4 puzzles. I was trying to get some good ideas for my 1-Line game I was making for the Atari 2600. I got this one idea, and so I tested it and solved it, but now I can't solve it again. Nor can I the other 3 puzzles I made. But

MidSpace update (part 2)

I found out that if I left the missile in and you shot the enemy and a new one came from the other direction, the missile would switch directions. So I had to take that out. Now it's back to disappearing once the enemy gets shot. I did a lot more bug fixing and stuff and I think I have just about completed it. I had to set the # of lives you start with to 3 (it was dependent on other code.) I have to group things together to save on bytes because I only have 1 byte left. Even though I had to get

Games of the Century

As you may remember, I decided some time ago that the easiest way to build my Atari 2600 Game collection is to do it one publisher at a time. Publishers completed so far:   MenAVision   1 game. Ultra Rare. So what I own is a Reproduction purchased through the AtariAge Store Mythicon   3 games. All suck!   Next on the agenda is 20th Century-Fox ("Games of the Century"). Below is a list of all of the Fox/Sirius games. Those in Bold are already part of my collection. Those

cessnaace

cessnaace

How I Found Out About Redlettermedia

It was the morning memorial day 2019, I got up to make some food when I took the wrong turn and knee when out and back into place, making me fall on the floor in horrible pain. I somehow got to my bedroom when Redlettermedia's Jack and Jill review was playing. I watched most of it, but I was in too much pain to go back to sleep, so I used my wooden practice katana as a makeshift cane and struggled to get to the medicine cabinet and get some anacin.   After getting back to my room, I bu

MidSpace update

So I have been working hard on MidSpace lately, along with a couple of other 2600 projects. I've made some changes that I think improve the game. Mainly bug fixes and stuff. But I did make one change that is kind of important.   When you shot an enemy food, its missile went away. I thought that shouldn't happen, at least it wouldn't in real life (if some rocket was stuck in space with laser shooting foods attacking you). So I changed it. The missile does not disappear when you shoot an