Blogs

Odyssey² stuff

So here I am bored again. I could work on act 4 of NES Stupidman. But I don't think I will finish the game because it looks like crap. I have been programming some more Odyssey2 stuff, mainly the hamburger doodle. But I will be working again on something else. A couple months ago, I was promised a copy of one of my games I created. The guy was in Brazil. I never got it. That was in November. Here it is almost February. Good thing I didn't actually pay for this, as I think I would now be out some

atari2600land

atari2600land

Microsoft to acquire Nintendo

I certainly wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do this. I don't know how much Nintendo is worth nowadays, but I think Microsoft has more than enough money to buy them if they can pay $67 billion for Activision. I think I'm looking at a headline from next year, actually. M$ is evil. Perhaps this is just the beginning of a snowball rolling down a hill...   You know what will happen after Microsoft buys Nintendo? Disney will buy Microsoft. Because we all know Disney has to own every possib

atari2600land

atari2600land

5200 USB Adapter Schematic and C Code

5200 USB Adapter Schematic and C Code

...which is still not working.   Just for documentation purposes, I'm attaching an image of the 5200 USB Adapter Schematic (not a proper technical drawing), and the code that controls the adapter.   If anyone has any feedback as to how the AD5242 should be wired please contact me. I've tried a thousand different wiring/code permutations and I can't figure out why this doesn't work. These aren't all the files needed to compile. I'll probably get a github site for this sometime

flickertail

flickertail

Act 3 almost done

I woke up at 7 a.m. I didn't want to, but I went into the kitchen, took my pills, had breakfast...and went back to sleep. Woke up at 11 a.m., and I feel like I could sleep all night and all day. But I got up and worked on Stupidman some more. I finished the rest of the code for Act 3 of Stupidman. When Stupidman is done facing 30 chickens, the Stupidmobile zooms off into the horizon. It goes a little too fast up the road when it does so, but I don't know if I could fix it and make it look better

atari2600land

atari2600land

Neolithic v0.3 alpha release

It's been too long... so I figured I'd take the time to release another version of the compiler.  I spent a lot of effort doing cleanup in the code base (paying dev taxes).  There are a few good features that have been added, but mostly bug fixes and compiler code cleanup.   Here's the compiler (with some test code) for Win/Mac:   Neolithic-v3_alpha_with_tests.zip   AND the latest Congo Bongo source with Windows Batch file to build the different TV format versions (

splendidnut

splendidnut

Stupidman again

So I decided to continue work on Stupidman. The Pause function broke. When you pause the game, it was supposed to say "PAUSED." under the score. But somehow, I made it so that gray blocks appeared when that happened. So I worked to discover why. It looked to be the root cause was me making the game say "PAUSED." which didn't do it earlier. But that's what I was able to figure out commenting different parts of the pause code out. So I needed to find a different way to tell whether the game was pa

atari2600land

atari2600land

Why won't anyone care?

I work and work and work on my computer, making games for various consoles, and when I get done, nobody seems to care. Nobody wants to help me get them released. I bet I have dozens of games I've made and nobody wants to care about any of them. So I thought "Why do you suppose that is?" The only answer I came up with is "Because they're crap." So I've decided to stop making games. It seems like the only logical conclusion to come to. If I slave away on the computer and nothing gets released anyw

atari2600land

atari2600land

2600 land

So I went back to the Atari 2600. After all, my user name is "Atari2600land." I've been thinking of changing it. Anyway, I went through my computer and found some Atari 2600 files. I thougtht my computer was dead last night because it wasn't reacting to my button presses and it said it needed to restart. So I made it restart and it froze. So I turned my computer off even though it told me not to. I turned it back on and it froze some more. Until it didn't and decided it felt like working again.

atari2600land

atari2600land

black and white burgers (part 22)

I changed the point of the game again. It is now like the NES version, where you can still end the game without shooting anything, but you won't get a very high score doing that. The highest possible score you can get is 500. That is shooting all 500 of the milkshakes that come towards you.   I added an ending. I tested the game. It works great. I think I ran out of room at some points while I was programming it, but I was able to cram in the game in only 32k. I made some music for the

atari2600land

atari2600land

Cruizin' GettyImages - 3rd of 3 Stock Clips Found - January 2022

Literally said yesterday...   "And now to find a old movie clip about a man riding a bull.   😮   Wish those of us looking for that last clip luck, we're going to need it!"   Well thanks to the 28 people that looked at yesterday's Bubsy Fan Blog entry and the luck you sent because... it worked!   Yesterday's blog entry was announced and this happened on the Officious Bubsy Fan Group (Discord)     So here is the link that Darthi found on

doctorclu

doctorclu

Cruizin' the Svengoolie Fan Group - 2nd of 3 Stock Clips Found - January 2022

Today is a great day to be a Bubsy Bobcat fan, and to be a fan of Svengoolie, the wonderfully zanny host of horror films on MeTV on Saturday nights (at least where I live.)   So just a few days ago one of three stock photage clips was found that was used in the Bubsy Bobcat cartoon pilot and was still unidentified.   Today, thanks to Svengoolie fans on the Facebook group and their mass knowledge of the obscure, another clip has been unearthed!   Here is the clip fro

doctorclu

doctorclu

black and white burgers (part 21)

Lots of changes to talk about. upped the amount of milkshakes you need to shoot from 50 to 100... ...because I cut the amount of levels. I only needed 6. I had 7 drawn. So which one to cut? An easy choice. I didnt like the city level I drew at all. So I axed it. I decided to make the game endless, a play until you die game. Otherwise, what would be the point of the score? I added the last junk food projectile. It's candy. It's a w&w. (kind of like an m&m, onl

atari2600land

atari2600land

MenuMaker 0.4

Turns out there's an updated version of VecMulti that requires a slightly different format for the menu file. The menu created with MenuMaker 0.3 would show extra characters on those VecMulti cartridges, resulting in the names shifting.       Starting with Page 2 the names would no longer line up with the numbers 1-4 (game 1 on page 2 is AllGoodThings).     With the help of @NeonPeon I've been able to reverse engineer the new format, and have update

SpiceWare

SpiceWare

black and white burgers (part 20)

Caves. They're dangerous. But do you know what is more dangerous than a cave? A cave with forks. I stole this idea from Earthworm Jim 2's secret level. But I had to simplify it for the Game Boy. I tried to put a picture of a real fork in, but it wasn't going to work. So I had to draw a fork and put that in the game. I designed the fork so that it didn't take up very many different tiles. It paid off since there are only 32 different tiles in this background. This also marks the return

atari2600land

atari2600land