IGNORED

Official SG-1000 to ColecoVision poll

Pixelboy

Official SG-1000 to ColecoVision poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which game among these would you like to see ported to the ColecoVision?

• C-So!
    • Drol
    • Flicky
    • Girl's Garden
    • Ninja Princess
    • Pitfall II (Arcade)
    • Sega Flipper
    • Sindbad Mystery
    • Soukoban
    • Star Force

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is the official poll which is a follow-up to my other thread on the subject.

The first SG-1000 game that I will ask Eduardo to port to the ColecoVision will be Bank Panic. This poll is to select another SG-1000 game to port, as Eduardo has offered to port two SG-1000 titles this year.

This poll will close on April 7th, so please place your vote before then. :)

EDIT: ARGH!!!!! "Ninja Gaiden" should be "Ninja Princess", and I don't know how to fix it! Sorry... :|

Because I want new game for the ColecoVision, I will vote for one.

I saw Back to the Future and Girl's Garden on Youtube last week.

note :

I tried to build a tool one time to help porting sg1000 games to coleco, but without the knowledge (never did it before) I didn't push the project to the limit, and was only usable by someone who know how to use a disassembler. So, I didn't push the porting machine project to the limit, but it gives me the opportunity to try porting some games including soukoban after a request in the yahoo forum and I give him the proof that porting the game was possible after only one day. Unfortunatly, all my ported games was buggy, no sound, and sokoban was playable only one screen. So, porting is possible, and part of it can be done by magic if we take time to build tools, but no one have time for that even if the konami games are all the same structure inside.

Because I want new game for the ColecoVision, I will vote for one.

I saw Back to the Future and Girl's Garden on Youtube last week.

note :

I tried to build a tool one time to help porting sg1000 games to coleco, but without the knowledge (never did it before) I didn't push the project to the limit, and was only usable by someone who know how to use a disassembler. So, I didn't push the porting machine project to the limit, but it gives me the opportunity to try porting some games including soukoban after a request in the yahoo forum and I give him the proof that porting the game was possible after only one day. Unfortunatly, all my ported games was buggy, no sound, and sokoban was playable only one screen. So, porting is possible, and part of it can be done by magic if we take time to build tools, but no one have time for that even if the konami games are all the same structure inside.

As Bruce Tomlin explained very well in his Black Onyx CV port thread, the SG-1000 has some hardware differences that can cause quite a few headaches when porting games to the CV. I have tremendous respect for those who have the knowledge necessary to pull it off. :)

Thanks for voting!

As Bruce Tomlin explained very well in his Black Onyx CV port thread, the SG-1000 has some hardware differences that can cause quite a few headaches when porting games to the CV. I have tremendous respect for those who have the knowledge necessary to pull it off. :)

yes, and many codes are for sc3000 to support the keyboard, something the ColecoVision doesn't need and my tool did the "patch" for that almost by itself. that explain why I was able to barely port sokoban in one day, but buggy... anyway, good luck in your projects and continue to keep alive the ColecoVision scene.

ColecoVision, 25th anniversary this year, good timing.

• Like 1

yes, and many codes are for sc3000 to support the keyboard, something the ColecoVision doesn't need and my tool did the "patch" for that almost by itself. that explain why I was able to barely port sokoban in one day, but buggy... anyway, good luck in your projects and continue to keep alive the ColecoVision scene.

The bugginess could have been from not disassembling deep enough. Days after getting the obvious stuff in Black Onyx, I was still finding addresses in data areas that needed relocation. In particular I knew one big block had to be something, probably the map data, but it took me a while to find the right references for it. Converting the controls in Black Onyx was made easier by their use of a 16-byte lookup table for the directionals. I don't know what the result was supposed to mean, but I just had to re-arrange the table a couple of times until I got it right.

I just played four of the games that sounded interesting. All were 32K, FWIW.

Flicky - Really should be called flickERy! I tried this on the Genesis long ago and didn't enjoy it. The problem is that it's just too hard to jump around. Maybe it's using Mario physics (where you can move left and right in a jump) is why I have trouble, but I also couldn't figure out how to end the level. I suppose it's that FLICKY platform on top. But really, the cats were just too agressive and my "flock" kept getting broken. Maybe you can drop part of the chicks at a time on the FLICKY platform? Vote: MAYBE

Sin(d)bad Myster - Basically a Pac-Man-ish maze game. You walk around and pick up the stupid (and ugly) question marks, then a lamp and a skull (Evil Otto?) appear, and you get the lamp to end the level. The controls were very annoying, because if your position was off by one, you couldn't turn and would get stuck. They should have made sideways movement move you closer to the intersection if there is a turn there instead of leaving you stranded. Vote: NO

Ninja Princess - Looks pretty good, but that half-screen-all-at-once scroll is an easy way to get killed all-at-once. I think it would have been much better with continuous scrolling. Vote: MAYBE

Girl's Garden - This is actually fun. You have to pick up ten bloomed flowers, while avoiding the bears, then bring them back to the house to give them to your boyfriend (isn't that kinda backwards?). You can drop honey (hunny?) pots to distract them. Sometimes the bears turn blue (blue balls?) and I guess that makes them try to chase you. Bees drop bonus items. Best strategy is to keep going in one direction. Worst part is that the water is INSTANT DEATH. There is really no good reason for this other than to punish the player, but maybe it keeps the game from being too easy. It even has a challenge level where you apparently have to jump over lots of bears. And that floating heart is just super kawaii. Vote: YES

So it looks like I have exactly one thing to vote for. Girl's Garden plays well and has nice graphics (and a pink as hell title screen). Flicky might be okay if I find I can drop off partial loads of chicks. Ninja Princess would be okay if it weren't for that damn scrolling.

If Eduardo doesn't want to port GG, I will. Otherwise I'll probably port Ninja Princess.

As for the other ones that I didn't try (maybe I will later):

Soukoban: As if this isn't on just about every other system in existence in one form or another (including Linux!). Yawn.

Pitfall II Arcade: I don't see the point of this vs the Pitfall II that you can already play on ColecoVision. Yawn.

C-So: another jump 'n' ladders platformer. Yawn.

Drol: looks pretty droll (ha ha), another "don't get caught by the bad guys" platformer? Another yawn.

Sega Flipper: if this plays well, fine. I don't care much for pinball (video or steel) but as someone else said, there isn't a pinball game for Coleco

Star Force: looks like a vertical shooter. While that's another genre that doesn't interest me, I won't argue against any shooter fans who find it good.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I just played four of the games that sounded interesting. All were 32K, FWIW.

If you don't mind, I'd like to insert a few comments...

Flicky - Really should be called flickERy! I tried this on the Genesis long ago and didn't enjoy it. The problem is that it's just too hard to jump around. Maybe it's using Mario physics (where you can move left and right in a jump) is why I have trouble, but I also couldn't figure out how to end the level. I suppose it's that FLICKY platform on top. But really, the cats were just too agressive and my "flock" kept getting broken. Maybe you can drop part of the chicks at a time on the FLICKY platform? Vote: MAYBE

Yeah, you have to bring all the baby birds to the door at the top. You can bring a few at a time, but you get more bonus points if you manage to bring a large group of babies to the door. I agree that the upward jumping is a problem. If you don't jump at just the right moment, you hit your head on the ceiling, and the cats invariably take advantage of this and home in on you. Very frustrating. Did you get a lot of flicker? I tried the game with Meka and I saw almost no flicker at all... Weird...

Sin(d)bad Myster - Basically a Pac-Man-ish maze game. You walk around and pick up the stupid (and ugly) question marks, then a lamp and a skull (Evil Otto?) appear, and you get the lamp to end the level. The controls were very annoying, because if your position was off by one, you couldn't turn and would get stuck. They should have made sideways movement move you closer to the intersection if there is a turn there instead of leaving you stranded. Vote: NO

I kind of like the game, if only because it's close enough to the arcade version. As far as porting an arabian-themed game to the CV, I would much prefer Arabian, as I really LOVED playing that game in the arcades, but alas, no Z80 version of Arabian exists AFAIK...

Ninja Princess - Looks pretty good, but that half-screen-all-at-once scroll is an easy way to get killed all-at-once. I think it would have been much better with continuous scrolling. Vote: MAYBE

I found that the game is more fun when you learn to take advantage of the terrain. Bad guys have to go around trees and rocks just like you do, so you can use that to your advantage. Also, did you notice that you can make the screen scroll down? :)

Girl's Garden - This is actually fun. You have to pick up ten bloomed flowers, while avoiding the bears, then bring them back to the house to give them to your boyfriend (isn't that kinda backwards?). You can drop honey (hunny?) pots to distract them. Sometimes the bears turn blue (blue balls?) and I guess that makes them try to chase you. Bees drop bonus items. Best strategy is to keep going in one direction. Worst part is that the water is INSTANT DEATH. There is really no good reason for this other than to punish the player, but maybe it keeps the game from being too easy. It even has a challenge level where you apparently have to jump over lots of bears. And that floating heart is just super kawaii. Vote: YES

So it looks like I have exactly one thing to vote for. Girl's Garden plays well and has nice graphics (and a pink as hell title screen). Flicky might be okay if I find I can drop off partial loads of chicks. Ninja Princess would be okay if it weren't for that damn scrolling.

If Eduardo doesn't want to port GG, I will. Otherwise I'll probably port Ninja Princess.

I think this game could have been big on the CV if the Cabbage Patch Kids licence had been attached to it (the main character looks like a CPK!). Not really my cup of tea (too cute for my personal taste) but if people around here really want to see it ported, I don't think Eduardo will mind doing the port, and I certainly won't mind publishing the game. The box is rather nice-looking too, but acquiring and translating the manual might be problematic... Is it just me, or does the bonus round actually use the 32x32 sprite mode???

As for the other ones that I didn't try (maybe I will later):

Soukoban: As if this isn't on just about every other system in existence in one form or another (including Linux!). Yawn.

I'm partial to this game because I played Boxxle a lot on the Game Boy (and I actually finished it!). It's a great time-waster when you're in the mood for a simple, slow cerebral game. Kinda like Bejeweled with no time limit, really...

Pitfall II Arcade: I don't see the point of this vs the Pitfall II that you can already play on ColecoVision. Yawn.

Oh, this one, I really encourage you to try, for at least 30 minutes! Aside from the improved graphics, there's also a lot more variety in the terrain, as it includes a lot of elements from the first Pitfall game. I find it a lot more fun to play than the CV version we have now. Really Bruce, try it! :)

Star Force: looks like a vertical shooter. While that's another genre that doesn't interest me, I won't argue against any shooter fans who find it good.

The parallax scrolling is somewhat impressive, and I like the general pace of the game, but it gets repetitive quickly and it's not one of my favorites... Gulkave would be a much better choice, too bad it can't be done...

Played a bunch of them:

Drol - doesn't look real good. This game is ok, but the choppy animation kinda kills this version. Vote: :thumbsdown:

Flicky - I loved this! Took me several plays before I got the hang of it. Yes, the jumps require too much precision and it is flickery, but the graphics are cute, the gameplay is solid, and the game is just fun. Reminds me a bit of Mappy. You have to take the baby birds to the "Flicky" platform and, yes, you can drop off any number of baby birds. Vote: :thumbsup:

Girl's Garden - brilliant! Only flaw is that it is rather easy, on my first play (!) I beat the first four levels, saw the (only?) three bonus levels and all the flowers (I assume I saw them all - they started repeating on level 5). Fun music, nice graphics, good gameplay. Vote: :thumbsup:

Ninja Princess - pretty good. A unique version of, essentially, Commando/Ikari Warriors/etc. The delayed, Thrust-ish scrolling makes the scrolling look smooth, but it does tend to lead to cheap deaths. Vote: :thumbsup:

Pitfall II Arcade - ok. I'm not a fan of the arcade version of Pitfall II and this conversion doesn't change my opinion. Vote: :thumbsdown:

Sinbad Mystery - ugh. Choppy animation is ugly ugly ugly. Controls, as Bruce mentioned, are bad bad bad. Interesting level layouts and graphics, but all for naught when the rest of the game is no good. Vote: :thumbsdown:

Star Force - blah. Utterly bland shooter (no powerups? :|) with choppy scrolling. :thumbsdown:

Haven't played Flipper, C-So!, or Soukoban. Agree with Bruce that Soukoban is waaaaay overdone.

So, my votes were for: Flicky, Girl's Garden, and Ninja Princess.

Flicky and Girl's Garden are clearly better than Ninja Princess, so between those two I choose Flicky, for the better difficulty progression (GG is way too easy) and because I just had more fun playing Flicky. ;)

I'll wait to vote until I play the others, though. Something might change my mind...:)

Edited by vdub_bobby

Something people should keep in mind about Ninja Princess: You often have to fire projectiles diagonally during play, and while this is no problem with the SG-1000's D-Pad (or a PC controller under emulation), it might be much more of a chore with the standard CV controller. This might seem like a small detail, but it can actually turn an already tough game into an exercice in frustration.

About Pitfall II: Out of curiousity, I tried the SG-1000 version of that (in fact, I fully mapped it out), and while it resembles the arcade version, it also has got some notable differences:

1. There's no time limit like in the arcade (and, I think, all the others)

2. You can (relatively) freely move around in the map. In contrast to that, in the arcade version the maze, while being a consistent "whole", is divided up in "levels", that is, reaching a certain point marks the end of one "level", which lets you start at a slightly different point. In the SG-1000, there's no such divisions... you just play through it and basically are able to return to any point in the maze

3. It wraps around... unlike both the arcade and CV versions. Which means, if you go right from the rightmost screen, you arrive at the leftmost one (which, however, is only possible on certain platforms).

4. The maze itself is different. The size seems to be about the same (8x32), but in the arcade, the top row gets repeated 4 times with different enemies, which isn't done in the SG-1000 version. Many of those enemies (for instance, the tree throwing apples if I recall it correctly) don't exist at all on the SG-1000, but there are still many elements from the arcade present on the SG-1000 which don't exist in the CV and Atari 2600 versions, such as the ice coming down from the ceiling, the face breathing fire, and the lorries going down ramps. Overall, the SG-1000 version is nearer to the arcade than to the "original" Activision version, but it still has a different maze layout than all of those.

So I think Pitfall II on the SG-1000, while having the same name, is quite a different game than the CV version. The question is if it's different enough...

This poll is now closed, and here are the results, as of April 7th 2007, midnight:

C-So! : 2 votes

Drol : 2 votes

Flicky : 4 votes

Girl's Garden : 4 votes

Ninja Princess : 1 vote

Pitfall II (Arcade) : 5 votes

Sega Flipper : 2 votes

Sindbad Mystery : 0 vote

Soukoban : 1 vote

Star Force : 1 vote

So the people have spoken and the winner is: Pitfall 2 Arcade!!

I'd like to thank everyone who voted. I know some of you would really like Girl's Garden to be ported to the CV, and if Bruce Tomlin or anyone else goes through the trouble of actually porting it, let me know, as I'm quite open to publish it (box, manual and all).

So Eduardo, it seems you've got your work cut out for you: Bank Panic + Pitfall 2! :D

Wow, that was an unexpected result!

I think I'll probably do GG, then.

I'm sure many people here would like to see GG ported. :)

And if you think Ninja Princess is hard to throw diagonals with a CV controller, try an emulator with a laptop keyboard.

Something tells me I don't want to do that... :P

Hey, guys. Today's pixelboy's birthday!

Happy Birthday, Luc! :D

Hi Pixelboy...

Happy Birthday :)

BTW. I vote for Sega Flipper, instead of Zippy Race. :sad:

Bank Panic is ok for me :D

Thanks guys! :D

• 1 year later...

Playing thread necromancer here, but I've been getting into the SG-1000 library lately, and I'm wondering whether any of these ports ever came to fruition -- other than Black Onyx, which I believe Bruce finished, or almost finished (right?). Did anything ever happen with Girl's Garden or the other games?

While I'm at it, a few SG-1000-related questions:

- Have the full set of Othello Multivision ROMs been dumped? There are three or four I haven't been able to find.

- Has anyone made a comprehensive list of which titles are unique to the SG-1000? (Heck, I'd love a list like that for every game system.)

- Is it me, or are the colors screwy on many SG-1000 games in the SMS Plus emulator?

Edited by thegoldenband

Playing thread necromancer here, but I've been getting into the SG-1000 library lately, and I'm wondering whether any of these ports ever came to fruition -- other than Black Onyx, which I believe Bruce finished, or almost finished (right?). Did anything ever happen with Girl's Garden or the other games?

While I'm at it, a few SG-1000-related questions:

- Have the full set of Othello Multivision ROMs been dumped? There are three or four I haven't been able to find.

- Has anyone made a comprehensive list of which titles are unique to the SG-1000? (Heck, I'd love a list like that for every game system.)

- Is it me, or are the colors screwy on many SG-1000 games in the SMS Plus emulator?

As far as I understand the situation, some SG1000 games uses more RAM than what ColecoVision can offer, plus, you need to take out all the keyboard support and change the joystick routines to be compatible with Coleco. There is also the non maskable interupt which doesn't mean the same thing.

I know that sokoban can be ported because I already did tried to port it in the past, with the result of a rom file almost playable. I was able to play one level on colecovision before it freezes after only 2-3 days of work on a semi-automatic system which replace lines of disassembled codes to port the games. Unfortunatly, the differences between these 2 systems stoped discouraged me to continue and porting games was not my goal anyway. Don't ask for this software, I do not recommend it anyway.

Interesting. Since the SG-1000 has twice as much RAM (if the specs I'm seeing are correct?), it would certainly make sense that there would be difficulties.

Still, from what I've read, there have been at least a few successes, no? I seem to recall that Lode Runner was successfully ported, Bruce got Black Onyx done, and it sounds like Gulkave was nearly done.

Given that everyone seemed pretty enthusiastic, I'm just curious if anything ever came to fruition.

Edited by thegoldenband

Interesting. Since the SG-1000 has twice as much RAM (if the specs I'm seeing are correct?), it would certainly make sense that there would be difficulties.

Still, from what I've read, there have been at least a few successes, no? I seem to recall that Lode Runner was successfully ported, Bruce got Black Onyx done, and it sounds like Gulkave was nearly done.

Given that everyone seemed pretty enthusiastic, I'm just curious if anything ever came to fruition.

The SG-1000 only has 1K of RAM, AFAIK. Certain games (namely "The Castle") have additional RAM built into the cartridge. As mentioned above, porting SG-1000 games to the ColecoVision involves modifying the joystick input routines and fixing interrupts. The sound chips are very similar (if not the same), so that's one easy aspect to port.

Lode Runner and Penguin Land were ported by Steve Begin, and those are the only SG-1000 games I know of that made it all the way to CV cartridge format. He had also started porting Pacar, but he encountered difficulties and never finished it.

As stated above, Daniel had started porting Soukoban, but never finished it. Bruce says his CV port of Black Onyx is finished, but unless I'm mistaken, there are still a few bugs left in his port that need to be addressed. Time-Bandit took it upon himself to port Gulkave, and that one is still a WIP as far as I know. :)