IGNORED

Megamania not working on 6-switch consoles

Prodos8

I've got a Megamania cartridge that works fine on a 4-switch console, but won't work on any of 6-switch ones. I've tried it on a heavy 6'er and Sears 6'er and all I get is a black screen or colored stripes on the TV. I even went so far as to remove the PCB from the case (the label was shot anyway) and tried inserting it bare and it still didn't work.

Is this game not compatible with 6'ers for some reason?

I think cleaning and repositioning should solve the problem. Sixers seen to have a tighter fit for carts. Try applying pressure forward (toward the label) when you turn on the power switch.

Edited by D.Yancey

I think cleaning and repositioning should solve the problem. Sixers seen to have a tighter fit for carts. Try applying pressure forward (toward the label) when you turn on the power switch.

I second this, particularly the cleaning part. Cartridges with exposed contacts, especially Activision cartridges for some reason, are notorious for picking up dust and grime. Depending on how clean your consoles' cartridge slots are, this could easily explain why the games would work in one console and not another. So, I'm willing to be the problem will be fixed with a good cleaning, both of the cartridges and the sixer's cartridge slot.

I happened to pick up Megamania today. It does work on my 6 switch console. However, it does fail to start up occasionally: ends up with a black screen and purplish-bluish bar on the left side of the screen. If I take it out and reinsert it, it will begin to work. The more times I did that, the harder it was to get it to fail, so cleaning will probably help.

I've cleaned the cart itself and the cart slot on both of my sixers and it just won't work. I think the PCB board on my particular megamania cart is too thin for the sixers and not making proper contact. Oh well, at least my E.T. cart is working.

I've cleaned the cart itself and the cart slot on both of my sixers and it just won't work. I think the PCB board on my particular megamania cart is too thin for the sixers and not making proper contact. Oh well, at least my E.T. cart is working.

I was kinda suspecting the same thing because I could sometimes make mine work when it was failing by pushing the cartridge fore and aft. I can't get a micrometer in there to measure various boards, but I'll check with a digital caliper to see if I can see any significant differences in board thickness.

Heh, that is some consolation.

Edited by BigO

I have issues with River Raid II on six switch models. It works on all my 4's and juniors, but not the 6's. :ponder:

That's a very common problem, including me. Here's the kicker, I have the HES version of RR2 as well, and it works fine on any sixer, but the activision one won't.

• 2 weeks later...

A recently acquired Crackpots was acting the same way on my 6-switch as the Megamania cart that started this post.

My 4-switcher had no problem with it. My Junior didn't like it.

I found what made it work was to push it in to the slot until it was firmly seated as normal then pull it back out just slightly. That works reliably and repeatably on the six-switch and the Junior.

Edited by BigO