IGNORED

Can you play downloaded game roms on real Lynx?

calfranklin

Just wondering if there's a way I could play downloaded game roms on my Lynx and not just on the Handy emulator?

I whuld say yes, but you'll need to cut of the Handy formatted header and burn it onto the right sized ((E)E)PROM.

Is there any way to use a SD card connected to the cart slot and read the roms directly from this storage device?

Just wondering if there's a way I could play downloaded game roms on my Lynx and not just on the Handy emulator?

I whuld say yes, but you'll need to cut of the Handy formatted header and burn it onto the right sized ((E)E)PROM.

Is there any way to use a SD card connected to the cart slot and read the roms directly from this storage device?

A SD cart does not have enough pins for it. You need to have 8 pins for the data and plenty of address pins to access the data. Modern memory devices just have a few pins and use high speed serial access.

But it is possible to make all kind of carts. I have seen SRAM-based carts, EPROM carts, flash carts. But no SD carts yet.

--

Karri

This is interesting since I am working on something like this.

So a 1 meg image will not work in a 2 meg chip?

And how do you cut the Handy header off the rom image? Has anyone already done this?

And how do you cut the Handy header off the rom image? Has anyone already done this?

The easiest way to cut off the rom image is to use a unix command "tail". You can easily find the command "tail" compiled for Windows also.

What you want to do is to cut off the first 64 bytes of the game.lnx file and rename it to game.lyx

If the game.lnx is 256k then the command

tail --bytes=262144 games.lnx > games.lyx

will do the trick. (The command "tail" takes the last 256k of the cart)

Another problem is that usually your cart is wired for 256k games. To play a 128k game on it you need to split the lyx image into 512 byte pieces and duplicate each piece and glue them together again so you get the required 256k rom.

--

karri

Where can I find a multicart for the Lynx? I've searched forever and the less I open the Lynx 1 hatch to change games, the better.

I've never seen one... which is too bad, 'cause I'd buy one in a heart beat just to save on the cart slot wear and tear on my fave Lynxes....

The easiest way to cut off the rom image is to use a unix command "tail". You can easily find the command "tail" compiled for Windows also.

What you want to do is to cut off the first 64 bytes of the game.lnx file and rename it to game.lyx

If the game.lnx is 256k then the command

tail --bytes=262144 games.lnx > games.lyx

will do the trick. (The command "tail" takes the last 256k of the cart)

Another problem is that usually your cart is wired for 256k games. To play a 128k game on it you need to split the lyx image into 512 byte pieces and duplicate each piece and glue them together again so you get the required 256k rom.

--

karri

Would a program like Lynxer also do the job?

http://www.mdgames.de/lynxer50.zip

Lynxer is described as ROM-image-builder and able to load a homebrewed Lynx-program (*.O) from a cartridge the program has to be transformed into a size fitting to the cartridge. Lynxer adapts the program file(s) to the BLL-cartridge-size of 256 blocks of 1024 bytes.