IGNORED

Holmes Collection

Bill Lange

As some of you have already noticed, I zipped up the three directories (cds) of the Holmes collection and they are sitting on my webserver:

http://www.langesite.com/Atari/Holmes/

Get them while you can. My wife and I are relocating from Denver to Miami and the bandwidth isn't currently being used (by us). At some point in the near future the web server will be coming down while our stuff is moved.

I expect it will be back up a month or so after it goes down, but the zip files will be gone and it will be back to downloading one .atr at a time ...

Regards,

Bill

As some of you have already noticed, I zipped up the three directories (cds) of the Holmes collection and they are sitting on my webserver:

I casually already have noticed this and have downloaded the 3 .zip files.

Thank you!

Edited by Philsan

Wow... It'd be great if I can get these. Last time I tried to go thru the set I'm sure I missed alot. Could probably help with a torrent if someone knows how to create one and pass it around.

Hopefully I'll be able to get this in time..

Here's CD #1...

UnZIP it and open the extracted file with your preferred torrent program.

*Note: I'm a Linux user so instead of the original .zip of the cd that is offered on www.langesite.com/atari/holmes, I tarballed and bzipped it. Windows users can use WinRAR to extract... Macs have extraction for those types files built in, just double-click it & Unixish users know what to do... As long as my computer is turned on, I'll be seeding this... Thanks once again Bill!!! :cool:

Edited by dwhyte

this is great, I'm already seeding the first one and am hoping we can get the other two seeded enough to have them fast and permanant. Lots of great stuff in there. I also have some "unlimited" webspace that I may have to look into the user agreement on. I suspect that even if I'm allowed to host these, they'll throttle my bandwidth down to nearly nothing.

no prob, but by tarballing and bzipping it that means I cant "seed" the file until I've actually received it from you...

Were you expecting to pick & choose files? If that's the case, just hit up Langesite... Besides "seeding" is considered 100%, though I know you can partially seed, it just wouldn't be the same... Besides, it's only ~240MB...

As soon as I receive any of the other disks (Disc 3 will be soon), I'll put them into the post above that contains the torrent(s)...

Edited by dwhyte

http://www.langesite.com/Atari/Holmes/

Get them while you can. My wife and I are relocating from Denver to Miami and the bandwidth isn't currently being used (by us). At some point in the near future the web server will be coming down while our stuff is moved.

I expect it will be back up a month or so after it goes down, but the zip files will be gone and it will be back to downloading one .atr at a time ...

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill.

no prob, but by tarballing and bzipping it that means I cant "seed" the file until I've actually received it from you...

Were you expecting to pick & choose files? If that's the case, just hit up Langesite... Besides "seeding" is considered 100%, though I know you can partially seed, it just wouldn't be the same... Besides, it's only ~240MB...

As soon as I receive any of the other disks (Disc 3 will be soon), I'll put them into the post above that contains the torrent(s)...

What I'm saying is I have to rely SOLEY on getting the file from you now since it is in the format you provided. Now if for some reason the connection between us is not good I wont be able to properly seed the file. I can't download the file from the original source and seed it WITH you because you changed the format that it is in.

Shared torrents tend to work better when the format is not changed everytime someone feels the need to do so. That is what I'm saying.

Anyways nevermind about that. I guess I was concerned about the speed but the torrent seems to be doing pretty ok.

Edited by Shannon

What I'm saying is I have to rely SOLEY on getting the file from you now since it is in the format you provided. Now if for some reason the connection between us is not good I wont be able to properly seed the file. I can't download the file from the original source and seed it WITH you because you changed the format that it is in.

That is what I'm saying.

You would have had to rely solely on the file if I left it in it's .zip form as well... There's no difference... I can remove the torrent if it's that big of an issue for you...

Always a whiner in the group I guess...

I don't think you understand. Depending on which end had the better connection speed. If I downloaded it from the original source then I could have seeded it already without having to download it solely from you. You obviously need a lesson in torrent sharing 101.

Basically you were wasting your own bandwidth.

But if you wanna be an ass about it, that is fine with me.

Sheesh some people are real dicks about things.

Edited by Shannon

so which file format is best for this? The standard zip or a rar? I've never created a torrent before, but I have the .zip of 1 and 3. 2 says it will be ready by tomorrow morning according to my download manager.

If I were making the torrent, I'd use the zip files, exactly as downloaded from langesite. That way, people who have already downloaded them can help seed the torrent right away, instead of waiting for their torrent client to (re)download the same files packed in a different format.

from the readme.txt

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Atari 8bit Games/Programs CDROM Vol.1.5 |

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| This 3 CD set is the result of many years of collecting Atari 8bit Games, and images both

| from the internet and from dumping Images direct from 5.25" Floppies.

I don't think you understand. Depending on which end had the better connection speed. If I downloaded it from the original source then I could have seeded it already without having to download it solely from you. You obviously need a lesson in torrent sharing 101.

Basically you were wasting your own bandwidth.

But if you wanna be an ass about it, that is fine with me.

Sheesh some people are real dicks about things.

Like I said, there's always a whiner in the group... Couldn't just download it and be happy, no you had to bitch about the format it's archived in... And yeah... I'm a dick, only when idiots bring it out in me though...

Wasting my own bandwidth? I have 120GB a month bandwidth usage and rarely go over 40... You think a torrent, with how many people downloading it, that's around ~240MB is going to waste my bandwidth? I could care less about my bandwidth... It's always there... And wit the amount of people that have downloaded the torrent. it hasn't been a waste... Wasting my bandwidth... lol... My god man, all I've (correction: we've) done is just help take some of the load off of Bill's server (48 people have downloaded the torrent with a current seeder count of 7 as of this post)... Is it really so bad that instead of taking 3 days to download the first CD from Bill it can be done in under an hour with my torrent? Apparently it is, because now you can't "seed" that .zip file you "leeched" off of Langesite, and as I'm also sure that if no-one mentioned the idea of creating a torrent that you were in the process of creating one for all of us anyways...

If you really want to help "seed" that "original" from Bill then just make your own torrent of the "original .zip" and upload it then instead of whining about my torrent... Otherwise, don't be so hasty to complain about something...

so which file format is best for this? The standard zip or a rar? I've never created a torrent before, but I have the .zip of 1 and 3. 2 says it will be ready by tomorrow morning according to my download manager.

If I were making the torrent, I'd use the zip files, exactly as downloaded from langesite. That way, people who have already downloaded them can help seed the torrent right away, instead of waiting for their torrent client to (re)download the same files packed in a different format.

Does it really matter how it's archived? I mean, if you downloaded it from Langesite anyways, that's leeching to begin with. Nobody else who "leeched" those .zips from Bill's site with the intention of "sharing" has made a torrent...

Edited by dwhyte

I've been trying to download either the zips or torrent for a week now and I've had no success with either. If I manage to connect to the zip files the transfer rate is so slow it would take a week with the computer running 24X7 to get a single dowload, and in limewire, I get 2 connections to the torrent, but zero on the transfer rate. I keep hoping this thread will stop getting new messages so it drops of the first page in the forum and maybe the traffic will die down... Lol, I want the thread to go away, and here I am adding to it.

Bob

I've been trying to download either the zips or torrent for a week now and I've had no success with either. If I manage to connect to the zip files the transfer rate is so slow it would take a week with the computer running 24X7 to get a single dowload, and in limewire, I get 2 connections to the torrent, but zero on the transfer rate. I keep hoping this thread will stop getting new messages so it drops of the first page in the forum and maybe the traffic will die down... Lol, I want the thread to go away, and here I am adding to it.

Bob

Be patient... Torrents aren't like regular files... You may sometimes have to wait a bit before anything starts to download, but once it does, it's faster than downloading off of Langesite...

Another thing you may want to check is what port you torrent client is currently using, it may be blocked. That could be why the contents of the torrent haven't downloaded for ya... Good luck! :)

Edited by dwhyte