IGNORED

First computer?

hellrazor

Mine was an unexpanded VIC-20 when I was six. My parents were somewhat at that time interested in computers and my father decided having 3K to play with wasn't enough, so he went and got an 64K 800XL. I quickly became the only user of that system in the house, and the rest is history...

And now you know... The Rest of The Story...

Mine was a TRS-80 Model 3 for Christmas 1982. My father worked in an engineering lab that used them, so that's what he chose. He never showed much interest in our home computer and didn't want to spend money upgrading it, so I used a program recorder for years. Finally I received a Tandy 1000SX disk based system as a high school graduation present in 1988 and it was like night and day compared to the Model 3.

I just bought my first ever Atari 8-Bit system a few weeks ago at a flea market.

Atari 400.

Only 16K but it had one of the "proper" keyboards.

Obviously, I wanted more RAM and the XLs had been released shortly afterwards.

Got a 600XL with intention of getting a 1064 expansion. As it turned out, it worked out cheaper to just get an 800XL and sell of the 600XL.

Mine was an Atari 400, xmas morning, either 1980 or 81. It wasn't really a computer yet though, didn't come with BASIC or any other language, or any storage. Can't remember how long I had to wait before Dad sprung for the BASIC cart and 410. At least I got to play Pac-man and Star Raiders while I waited :)

My first computer was the Atari 800XL. After I spilled some coke in the keyboard and took it in to get some repairs, we find out that the repair center lost it and offered us a brand new 130XE that was just released!! Fun times...

Vic-20. Got that baby new at launch, and spent some months expanding the hell out of it (frustration ensues when a good share of the components didn't work well together). Gave up on it when trying to make anything worthwhile in ASM. Sold the whole mess to a coworker, and played games for a few more months with a CV. Sold that system to buy an unexpanded A400 with a 1050 DD. Then shortly after, the console market crashed and I got steady job (making it possible to buy the "big 5", but no longer having the time to program anything on any of them) :lol:

My first was an Atari 400 with a 410 tape drive, connected to a 12" TV via RF hookup. Ah, those were the days! Sitting on the edge of my bed, hunched over a small plastic table, learning to program from Inside Atari BASIC. Then thirty minutes to save my program, and if the air conditioner clicked on near the end of that, it was likely to ruin the save.

Thank goodness my parents bought me a 1200XL and 1050 as soon as they came out. On the other hand, I fell for the Okimate 10 marketing and ended up with a well-nigh unusable printer. Should have asked for a standard 9-pin dot matrix instead of falling for the color hype. I've hated thermal transfer printers ever since (including the later ones by Tektronix).

The 1200XL/1050 combo remains my most nostalgic and favorite system of all time. But at the moment I have an 800XL and two xf551's set up for gaming purposes, simply because the 800XL is easier to pop carts in and out of and the xf551's are simply still out from the last time I was writing programs for the Atari and using SpartaDOS X.

My first computer was a PC with Windows 3.1. My parents wouldn't buy me a computer so I had to wait until I was old enough to get one myself. I used to love going over to my cousins house and playing on his Apple II. Now I have an 800XL on it's way to me and am ready to live the fun times that I missed out on.