IGNORED

portable offline rarity guide

missioncontrol

You know what would be cool.... A portable version of the AtariAge rarity guide that could be used with a pocketPC or palm Pilot or some other portable device. That way when you spot a game, you can look it up in the database to check out screenshots so you can decide if it's worth getting or not...

I've been trying to come up with an easy way to do something like this for years. I'm a casual collector and have about 400 carts for various systems. Everything has been obtained in the wild - thrift stores, flea markets, etc. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and refuse to pay eBay prices.

I have both a BlackBerry and a jailbroken iPod Touch. I have yet to find a free or low cost solution that will let me combine a rarity list and list of what I own. I want a solution that is truly portable. My BlackBery has a limited data plan so it is not practical to look something up on the web. I also need to know if I own a cart/box/manual/overlays.

Has anyone found a method that works?

You can use the Excel spreadsheet I made.

It should work Palm / Blackberry / etc. (I think).

2600_for_everyone.zip

I just ran this on my BlackBerry and it looks good.

<pats self on back>

First off the spreadsheet looks great! How were you able to run it on a Blackberry? I realize that I can email it to myself, but the Blackberry doesn't have a method to permanently store a spreadsheet. I'd have to pull it in over the air everytime. My BlackBerry is supplied by my employer and has a fairly limited data plan.

I have a basic phone, and this works well.

I have a text file (.txt only works), uploaded it to www.uploadit.org, and I have a text that is locked of the web address of the text file. I just open up my text, check to see if I have the game using the web browser of the phone, and when I get anything new, I just edit it when I get home.

I have both a BlackBerry and a jailbroken iPod Touch.

Has anyone found a method that works?

I've been using a program called GamePedia on my Mac for cataloging my game collection. The software company behind it recently released Pocket Pedia for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It can be used on it's own or it can be synced with GamePedia. If I had either said portable devices I would get it for sure.

• 1 month later...

I wrote a program for my pocket pc to use as an offline rarity guide. It's still pretty rough, but I'm hoping to make it better.

My pocket pc is running windows mobile 5. I think it should run on any pocket pc or smart phone with windows mobile, but I've only tested on my unit. It's a .net application, so you might have to install the .net compact framework on your device.

.net compact framework installer (i think)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

One of my todo items is to build this into an installer, but for right now I'm just trying to get it out.

You should be able to drop the folder in the zip onto your device and run it after this. I have it running from the Program Files folder on my unit. You may get a security pop up at some point because I haven't added a digital signature to the program.

Please note that right now there are no cart scans in this package; it's only a listing with carts and rarities. I collected the scans from the rarity guide here and a few from atarimania and some random ones to fill in the gaps. The whole set is about 45 mb, so I can't just upload it here. If anybody has someplace to host it, that would be great.

oh, and thanks to atariage for putting all that good info out there for me to scrape :)

post-20387-1219292838_thumb.jpg

post-20387-1219292846_thumb.jpg

post-20387-1219292857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lincoln

you can now get the scan collection here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MWAOPKKD

it's free but they try to distract you with pricing and stuff. to the right of the "megaupload" logo there is a simple bot check textbox and a download button. then there is a 45 sec wait until your free download button shows up. kind of awkward but nice to have.

also I have a new build of the app with an updated db file attached to the post.

AtariCart20080822.zip

Edited by Lincoln

I actually created my list of what I own, with missing boxes/instructions and such in MS Access. I found it a lot easier to create reports based on certain criteria, and you can write the rarity in a comments column. I've actually inputed several systems, and eventually will input all systems I own so it's easy to have. I print out everything and carry a book. Especially since I collect other things besides video games. :)

Phil

• 1 year later...

You can use the Excel spreadsheet I made.

It should work Palm / Blackberry / etc. (I think).

2600_for_everyone.zip

I just looked at it, very nice. It is very similar to what I made myself, but without label variations. I also have seperate columns for Cart, Instructions, and Box. Then an if statement that marks the ones I have a cart, but no insructions, and instructions, but no cart.

I might redo it by starting with yours, and adding the other columns, and using a quantity instead of "X" and use it to also track duplicates.

Here's the one I use on my phone. It's just a generic excel sheet I made before I knew about this site. It contains everything under US Released Games on Digit Press. I also have spreadsheets for the 5200, INTV, and NES if anyone wants those. Then on my spreadsheet I just mark C,I(or I1 for instructions I2 for insert),B in the own column.

2600.xls

Edited by Skaarg

Here's the one I use on my phone. It's just a generic excel sheet I made before I knew about this site. It contains everything under US Released Games on Digit Press. I also have spreadsheets for the 5200, INTV, and NES if anyone wants those. Then on my spreadsheet I just mark C,I(or I1 for instructions I2 for insert),B in the own column.

2600.xls

Also nice! I like the year released, now if we had the two combined with variations and year of release... ;-)

I also started to keep mine on my smart phone just in case.

I just use what I posted here, http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/155486-printable-carttitle-list/page__p__1906889#entry1906889. This way all I have to do is place a check mark next to the ones that I own. I know that this really isn't portable in the sense of using it on a device. I print mine out but I guess you could convert it into a pdf file instead of printing the list.